Shujenjas and Prestige Domains?

DM_Matt

First Post
Since Shujenjas, (while usually considered to be sorc-like) cast divine magic and have Knowledge (religion) and Diplomacy as class skills, they are eligable for Prestige Classes intended for Clerics.

What happens when a shujenja gets a domain from one of these classes? Does it folow with thier shujenja caster levels? Does their elemental restrictions have any bearing on it? What if the PC has levels of both Cleric and Shujenja?

hong

WotC's bitch
I would rule that the shugenja gains automatic knowledge of any domain spells that are of a level they can cast (ie, spell level must be half caster level). They have to devote at least one spell slot per day to a domain spell.

gnfnrf

First Post
I think your initial assumption is perhaps false. While by the rules, a shugenja may qualify for a preist prestige class, Oriental Adventures was not written to interface with rulebooks other than the DnD core books.

On page 202-203, there is a short discussion of the class books and which feats and prestige classes are appropriate. Under DotF, it states

Even so, shamans and sohei could qualify for prestige classes like ...

Shugenja are not mentioned, leading me to believe that the designers do not believe that they should qualify for the classes, even if they were available.

The point is, when you start crossing over you are already entering house rule territory, so the specifics of the interaction are up to the DM.

--
gnfnrf

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
1-You don't have to use every single prestige class in your campaign. In fact, you shouldn't IMO.

2-I wouldn't say that Shugenja are eligible for PrC intended for cleric. I'd rather design my own PrC or modify old ones than get stuck with silliness like a shugenja getting a bonus prestige domain.

3-You shouldn't allow multiclassing as a Shugenja/Cleric. It's like multiclassing as a Cleric of Bane/Cleric Of Mystra, only even worse; it involves two completely set of religious belief. Like Christianity/Hinduism for example. You just can't honestly serve both faith.

hong

WotC's bitch
Mal Malenkirk said:
3-You shouldn't allow multiclassing as a Shugenja/Cleric. It's like multiclassing as a Cleric of Bane/Cleric Of Mystra, only even worse; it involves two completely set of religious belief. Like Christianity/Hinduism for example. You just can't honestly serve both faith.

Syncretism is a historical fact.

DM_Matt

First Post
I am trying to create the "Indecisive player one-man party smackdown," a smack that is intended to create a character so well-rounded that at L20, it can lay the smack down in a variety of ways in almost any sitation. It is based on the Shujenja/Hospitaler/A bunch more Prcs concept, but I need some rules clarifications before continuing.

Veldrane

First Post
Well, If your DM allows it, a Shugenja with Glory and Madness Domains (through Divine Disciple and Contemplative PrDom.) and with 5 lvls of Hierophant (+10 DC) can really k**k a**, imho...

Ealli

First Post
I'm going to answer based on the assumption that we're not arbitrarily refusing OA to mix with everything else. Since spell lists are always kept seperate and clerics don't get to use their domain list to prepare normal spells, I would guess that shugenjas get to cast one extra spell per day per level and that extra spell must be from the domain list(s).

Although after making my own shugenja and reading the spell list, I'm not totally certain shugenjas are the best class to try to powergame with.

DM_Matt

First Post
Veldrane said:
Well, If your DM allows it, a Shugenja with Glory and Madness Domains (through Divine Disciple and Contemplative PrDom.) and with 5 lvls of Hierophant (+10 DC) can really k**k a**, imho...

You are on the right track there, but no Heiro..It doesnt offer spell advancement...part of my criteria requires that he can cast L9 spells.

For now, its a

Ranger1/Shujenja4/MysticWanderer1/DivineDesciple2/DivineAgent1/Hospitaler10/Contemplative1

18 Levels of casting, 10 of Turning, Cleric-1 BaB, 4 Bonus Combat feats, Cha Bonus to AC, averages d8 hd...saves in the 25-30 range, AC approaching 40 without buffing spells...Three domains: Healing (Fire Shuj, so cant get them normally), Mysticism (Cha bonus to all saves, great buffing spells). Time (the vital time Stop, some other good ones, a good feat)...He can do a spell smack that does several teen hundred dmg, but can do a ton of dmg with buffing spells and dual wielded vorpal bladed gaultlets for a lesser but quite mighty (havent calculated it yet) meleee smack. Also, Elemental substitution makes his slew of fire spells quite versatile.

Remove ads