Siege in the Stonespike Mountains (Boddynock Judging)

SlagMortar

First Post
"Yeah, let's get going. I don't want any geese to get the idea that I'm dwadling."

OOC: Ooh, I really want to holy on Planus's bow, but it is so expensive. And it will get even way more much expensive if he puts anything else on his bow. Decisions, decisions. I think I'll just go with a periapt of wisdom and save enhancing the bow for another day. I am getting a handy haversack and a bunch of arrows though so I can quit worrying about that.

Patlin

Explorer
"You don't want to know about the defenses on the fortress? They're extensive. We'll be teleporting back to the city, although we wouldn't be able to bring your mounts by that route. You'll be picking up your payment there, though I assure you the markets contain a very great variety of items."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"We will be making a withdrawal from the Bank of Orussus then, to pay an acquaintance for her most excellent work. You will have then have the money sent back here."

(OOC: They didn't already pay us? I see you didn't mention that, but in my head, I had assumed they had. Zaeryl would have absolutely never signed that book without the money first, since the clause they signed did not specify the need for them to be paid

@SlagMortar--you can always buy maybe 5 +1 Holy Arrows for only 1800 gold)

Steve Jung

Explorer
Charlarn of Phyrah: male human cleric 6/ranger 2

Patlin said:
"I represent a group of patriots. As the official position of our land is to accomodate the Dragons, we wish to preserve our anonimity. Perhaps we should talk about the fortress?"
Charlarn gives a bow, "As you wish. Do the fortress's troops defend it with weapons as well as magic? How will we get in, if teleportation is blocked? Have the dragons said what they want exactly? Maybe we can use that against them."

Patlin

Explorer
Re: not seeing the gold. Let's assume you put a caveat in the language of the Gease.

"The fortress is built high in the Stonespike mountains, and the road leading too it crosses a chasm seperating the fortress from the open ground. In times of trouble, the bridge can be sabotaged, making aproach difficult especially as the fortress is defended by archers who can harass workers on both sides of the chasm. Over the chasm, an outer wall conceals a small area where wagons can be unloaded, but the fortress proper is high above that area. Goods are normally brought inside via a pulley and counterweight system, while people are forced to climb a series of intentionally awkward stone steps. All the while, attackers would be subject to attack by the archers, as well as boiling oil which can be dropped upon the steps, making them slippery as well as scorching anyone so unlucky as to be on the steps at the time."

"As I believe I mentioned, the fortress is also warded magically. There is some sort of Forbidance effect which makes teleporting into or with the fortress problematic, and there are traps surrounding the fortress designed to disenchant those relying on magic to fly into the fortress. Since the drop is a bit extreme, these anti-magic traps can be quite lethal."

"Finally, the fortress is built to amplify any active magical defenses that the defenders might have access to. From deep within the fortress, a skilled user of magic, regardless of type, can effect the fortress as a whole, its inhabitants, and even the besiegers. I'm told, for example, that a priest of Sela was able to repair the damage caused by an extensive bombardment by casting a very simple spell from within the control room. I believe that the only spellcaster on the premises at this time is a wizard of minor talents, but should the defenders consider you hostile he might attack you as you aproached without exposing himself at all."

"One of my concerns is that the Fortress was not as well stocked with food as it should have been. It might be wise to either bring food and water, or to have available spells that summon such."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Do the enchantments amplify the effect of self-only spells? If so, that would be extraordinarily useful."

'If not, well, we, at least will still be safe.'

Patlin

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
"Do the enchantments amplify the effect of self-only spells? If so, that would be extraordinarily useful."

'If not, well, we, at least will still be safe.'

"I do not believe so, but I am not certain."

Rystil Arden

First Post
'Of course not. That would be too easy. Still, if there were really a place with such an affinity field...it exists in theory, and back before when we were I, that should have been within our power, yet we have never seen one that lasted for more than a few minutes in a tiny area. How wonderful it is to spread all that power to so many allies, but not this time.'

Steve Jung

Explorer
Patlin said:
"Finally, the fortress is built to amplify any active magical defenses that the defenders might have access to. From deep within the fortress, a skilled user of magic, regardless of type, can effect the fortress as a whole, its inhabitants, and even the besiegers. I'm told, for example, that a priest of Sela was able to repair the damage caused by an extensive bombardment by casting a very simple spell from within the control room. I believe that the only spellcaster on the premises at this time is a wizard of minor talents, but should the defenders consider you hostile he might attack you as you aproached without exposing himself at all."

"One of my concerns is that the Fortress was not as well stocked with food as it should have been. It might be wise to either bring food and water, or to have available spells that summon such."
Charlarn nods at the description of the defenses. "They sound extensive, but I'm no expert. I have prayers that can create food and water, but I don't have them prepared now. We can bring supplies with us, too. That'll help us asking for other more defensive prayers."

Velmont

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC]
Rystil Arden said:
(OOC: Dispel Psionics with full augmentation can go up to 1d20+20 and the DC to Dispel Iggy's spell is 18, so Zaeryl cannot fail. Also, no displays/components offers no chance to make a Spellcraft check on him. Yay!)

Not quite true, but very close. The maximum is 1d20+20 for a 10th level psion. Zeryl is 9th, so his maximum is +19 (I know, only 1 point), which is still more powerfull than any wizard. Here why

SRD said:
You make a dispel check (1d20 + your manifester level, maximum +10)

So the basic roll is 1d20+9 for Zaeryl.

srd said:
For every additional power point you spend, the bonus on your dispel check increases by 2 (to a maximum bonus of +20 for a 5-point expenditure).

Zaeryl is level 9, so he can only spend 9 point to manifets that power, for a +17 bonus, or +19 if he overchannel to spend 10 points, but the power description let's suggest you can't spend more than 5 points to augment the power. At least, it is how I read it and as it is more powerfull than a normal dispel (+20 at level 10, that'S pretty strong) it seems reasonable.

Ok, for Zaeryl, we are talking about only a +1, but I think it's should be important to make that clear for other players and judges.[/SBLOCK]

Remove ads