• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Siege in the Stonespike Mountains (Boddynock Judging)

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: I thought Zaeryl said something about overchanneling, which would effect both the basic bonus and the pp cap.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: You are correct Patlin. Overchanneling also effects manifester level, even if it is not used to increase the spending. This is an oft-overlooked aspect of it, and you can bet that all of Zaeryl's out of combat buffs are overchanneled, even if he doesn't spend all the way to the cap (hurray for 11 hour duration on the 2 point +5 Inertial Armour.

Also, just because it will eventually come up, it's also important to note that he has a Torc of Power Preservation, which reduces the cost of his powers and thus allows him to spend 1 more without hitting the cap--so right now he can get the effect of 12 PP (at a cost of 11 due to the Torc effect), though doing so will cost Psionic Focus and run him out of PP way too fast. Plus the Astral Construct 6 doesn't really thrill me compared to the Astral Construct 5, so he'll probably usually just spend 8 and get the 5. Now the 7 is pretty exciting, but he needs to hit level 10 for that. And for damaging powers, if he wants to spend focus, he's better off just using Empower Power anyway (well--sorta: they yield the same damage, but Empower Power has -1 DC and Overchannel costs 2 more PP. I like Empower Power better). )

Manzanita

First Post
"We should bring some supplies, then. Food. Do you have a good well or stream for water? Ammunition for the archers? Hopefully, once there, Charlarn's spells creating food will be amplified enough to supply all we need."

Iggy has 6 days of rations. He'd probably want to increase that to 10. He'd buy a few quivers of arrows too, for the warriors there, if appropriate. Otherwise, I suppose he's ready to go.

Rystil Arden

First Post
"We are ready to leave as well," Zaeryl affirms.

(OOC: Two Clerics, a Wizard, and a Psion...this party is either going to be TPKed or kick ass!)

Manzanita

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
"We are ready to leave as well," Zaeryl affirms.

(OOC: Two Clerics, a Wizard, and a Psion...this party is either going to be TPKed or kick ass!)

OOC: I feel kind of guilty taking LEW's two most powerful clerics on the same adventure. And w/o any meat sheilds to heal, either! Maybe they'll get a chance to cast their other spells for a change.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Manzanita said:
OOC: I feel kind of guilty taking LEW's two most powerful clerics on the same adventure. And w/o any meat sheilds to heal, either! Maybe they'll get a chance to cast their other spells for a change.
(OOC: Yeah, me too--I feel bad for the second-highest Mega Adventure group of level 8s. They'll at least have Eternity, a Psion with a nice healign trick, but that will be all, and it may not be enough)

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: That's why I suggested Zaeryl ought to invite Hulgyr along as the fourth, but what is done is done.

Everyone gathers round, and the old conjurer casts a spell... the next moment, the group finds themsleves in a nondescript werehouse with a number of guards.

Lady Diana speaks.

"Give them each 9,000 gp, and the map showing the route to the fortress. We are in Medibaria, so you shouldn't have any trouble spending it. The Academy is about 5 blocks to the North, by the way. I'll rely on your discretion to keep rumors to a minimum, yes?"

Manzanita

First Post
"Oh. 5 blocks from the Academy. I know where we are!" squeels Iggy excitedly. " Are we on our own now, then? We will shop then proceed to the stonepike mountains on our own? Or are you accompanying us further?"

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Quick fact check!--We've had a few adventures in this city before (and I ran them, so I've got the fact check under control):

The Academy is not 5 blocks to the north--it is in the midst of ruins of the Old City to the southeast of the city proper, and down vertically, as the New City has built up on top of the remains of the old, at least in the places where it spans. The Academy refused to move with the city as the coastline subtly shifted, partially because ancient wards and guardians could not be moved from the premises

@Hulgyr--before I could do that, we already had four, and I didn't want to kick someone out or something.)

*As Zaeryl instructed, the remaining 9000 gold is sent to Eternity, who receives it.*

"Very well. Let us spend the time we need here to prepare and then be on our way--the geas will be quite unpleasant if we do not," Zaeryl tells his new companions after the patrons are gone, "We have at most a little less than three weeks starting from today during which we must defend the fortress," he explains further, "Since the geas was intentionally open-ended 'protect the fortress', it lasts for a number of days proportional to the power of the caster. And we may wish to stay even after the geas fades if more danger ensues."

Remove ads