DDAL Simple CANON question

Insulting other members
Paul, Way, please let me know the case:

1) You have serious trouble to answer a simple question because you are unable to understand it
2) My english is too poor to let you understand the question
3) You are unable to resist to the temptation to answer something, even if you don't know the precise answer to the question
4) You don't know the precise answer to the question, but you feel stupid if you don't have something to answer, so you answer some unrelevant clarification
5) You want to perform your crusade against the CANON concept answering with an unrequested value judgement trying to evangelize me with your unrequested opinion about CANON
6) mere trolling

I'm curious because everytime I see new replies to the thread I jump to see if somebody has answered to my question and seeing something completely out of the question upset me.

Thanks.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Paul, Way, please let me know the case:

1) You have serious trouble to answer a simple question because you are unable to understand it
2) My english is too poor to let you understand the question
3) You are unable to resist to the temptation to answer something, even if you don't know the precise answer to the question
4) You don't know the precise answer to the question, but you feel stupid if you don't have something to answer, so you answer some unrelevant clarification
5) You want to perform your crusade against the CANON concept answering with an unrequested value judgement trying to evangelize me with your unrequested opinion about CANON
6) mere trolling

I'm curious because everytime I see new replies to the thread I jump to see if somebody has answered to my question and seeing something completely out of the question upset me.

Thanks.
The barrage of insults is not necessary.

pogre

Legend
Does the Adventure League material considered CANON material?

Without exception?

Thanks
No. Most of it is not. Much of the backgrounds and even locations in the various AL modules are downright conflicting.

The following is my opinion:
I don't think WOTC gets very concerned about official setting canon these days.

jasper

Rotten DM
Does the Adventure League material considered CANON material?
Without exception?
Thanks
This is difficult to answer. As I have played in modules where some of canon do not seem in sync with what I know. Example one the season 8 modules had a human vampire thrall living for a couple of hundred years. I think the module writers were just given a list of npc names and write ups and told to include them in the module.
Can you be a little more specific?

Can you be a little more specific?

Somewhere (I don't rememeber where and when), I've read that books with plots, location etc. used in AL are canon in regard to, for instance, Forgotten Realms world. Maybe Candlekeep is the best forum to ask... don't know. I was wondering if the admission to AL of a book implies its adherence with canon and can be used to build canon above, differently from generic DMS GUILD material that is the equivalent of homebrew.

My question arise from my need to collect anything that could be considered canon in regards to FR.

jgsugden

Legend
WotC has vast files on what takes place in books, modules, source books, boxed sets, etc... It is unmanageably large, and they do not provide it to everyone writing for the Forgotten Realms or other settings. As a result, there is a lot of inconsistency.

However, this does not matter much to most DMs and players as their versions of the Forgotten Realms diverge from the source books in meaningful ways. My version of the Realms began in 1988 and never featured a Time of Troubles or Spellplague. 65 years in game time have taken place since those first adventures in Cormyr, and my FR is so different from the published FR that anything I'd take from newly relased product needs to be massively modified to work in my setting. For example, my Waterdeep was destroyed entirely before 1990 by the Cult of the Dragon and a 300 Foot Dracolich. As such, Dragonheist would not really work for my setting.

Don't worry too much about that. Some day WotC will publish an event about a multiverse infinite secrete crysis war and then the time spheres, uchronies and parallele worlds will be canon, even a Dragonlance where Riverwind is a barbarian and not a ranger, and Goldmoon a favored soul(divine-spellcaster sorcerer).

Don't worry too much about that. Some day WotC will publish an event about a multiverse infinite secrete crysis war and then the time spheres, uchronies and parallele worlds will be canon, even a Dragonlance where Riverwind is a barbarian and not a ranger, and Goldmoon a favored soul(divine-spellcaster sorcerer).
Unfortunately, for a collector even these inconsistencies are interesting material.:p

jasper

Rotten DM
Unfortunately, for a collector even these inconsistencies are interesting material.:p
Oh oh okay. Okay then. I thought you were looking at as DM needing to know the necessary lore. As friend to the local gaming store. I say buy everything since you are a nice person who wants the complete collection.

Coroc

Hero

Well, technically she is a level x Commoner, but her blue crystal staff is a divine soul sorcerer, so you are not to far off.
Tbh. Tanis should eventually be a spell -less ranger, otoh to me he seems like a reincarnation of Aragorn sometimes.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
AL is not canon, and the adventures are not consistent with each other.

Example: playing a campaign based on the Tyranny of Dragons season. Four times we have travelled from the "home base" city up the one river, and in no adventure do we pass the buildings or docks - or fortified tower or huge swamp - that are in the other adventures.

The 5e canon is what you collect, can reconcile with each other, and want to use.

An Advertisement

Advertisement4