D&D 4E Simple Poll - How do you feel about 4E Right Now?

How do you rate 4E based on what we know at this time?

• Thumbs up?

Votes: 346 67.7%
  • Thumbs down?

Votes: 165 32.3%

DM_Jeff

Explorer
I didn't read a thing I liked so far. So I'm very pessimistic.

Actually, how do I feel "right now"? Kinda like it's a bad dream or just a non-entity. I'll plow through the next few years very happy with the game I'm playing. 4e what?

-DM Jeff

EricNoah

Adventurer
So far a "thumb's down" only in the sense that I have not seen a lot that has me going "ooh, gotta get that" and have seen a couple of things that have not been particularly appealing to me.

Cbas_10

First Post
Thumbs Down....so far.

I will admit that I felt the same way when 3E came out as I do now. I'm not really all that enthused about 4E. Not at all. However, I really don't remember seeing nearly as many previews, hints, and such for 3E. All I remember seeing previews for was the new AC system and hints about better multiclassing.

We are seeing a lot more about 4E already (even though a lot is still certainly in the dark). Rules are rules are rules. We like some, don't like some, and change others. That is the nature of this game. Which is why I feel there is a bit too much emphasis on rules at this point. I'm one of the people that really like to use published material for settings and seeds of adventure ideas. Work, family, and life don't leave enough time to homebrew much anymore - it takes long enough to develop interesting plotlines and personalities. Sooo....my primary desire for a game is its "fluff" (that term seems to be derrogotory, or at least indicates that it is not all that important).

The only contact with fluff in 4E I've seen is the sundering of the Forgotten Realms (changes are all well and good but between the alternate/original title for Anauroch and the end of the Grand History of the Realms....wow), the loss of Greyhawk, the emphasis of Ebberon, and something that seems like degenerating monsters to little more than mooks and simple-minded roles designed to be killed. Of course, the published setting changes are all personal preferences, and nothing that indicates the quality of 4E. However, the entire package must be evaluated for me to give a thumbs up or thumbs down.

Once the developers start wowing me with interesting antagonists, fresh approaches to the setting that inspire new adventure ideas, and more substance behind the new class/race setups than just numbers, dice, and modifiers....they'll grab me.

I dreaded the thought of 3E until I cracked open my first PHB 3E. I never even thought of going back to 2nd Edition. Maybe the same will happen with 4E, but 3E didn't inundate me with hints and previews that repeatedly made me go, "Ew..why?.."

A'koss

Explorer
So far 4e (mechanics-wise) is incorporating a lot of the things I've long harped on wishing they would do - simplifying skills, emphasizing the character over the items, bringing the overall power of the wizards down at the higher levels, but giving them more to do, designing epic rules alongside the core, spell crits, removing save or nerf powers, stronger 1st level characters, redesigning the "stat abomination" monsters, introducing "per encounter" abilities and more goodness from Iron Heroes.

Further, they're doing things with the game I didn't expect, but so far like a lot - saves as defenses, differentiating similar monsters by tactics, the easier encounter-building, more fighter options...

So yes, I definitely have to give it a thumbs up so far. My biggest concern (rules-wise) is that it won't be adequetely playtested. Even though 4e is less a departure than 3e was from 2e, they are still introducing a lot of new(ish) concepts and tweaking a lot of rules. 2-3 months playtesting with the first solid set of rules seems frighteningly short to me. I've PT 3e for 7 or 8 months and I thought that was short. It takes weeks to fully de-program yourself with the rules you know and re-program it with the ones you need to...

JeffB

Legend
It varies..daily..sometimes hourly :lol:

Seriously...I was very much looking forward to 4E. And on occasion, I see something that I really like. Then I see two other things that just make me shake my head and kill any enthusiasm I built up.

I'm having a hard time giving it the benefit of the doubt. Just doesn't sound like the kind of D&D game I wanna run or play based on what I've seen so far. But the online play thing will be a godsend for me due to my lack of time for gaming these days.

tough call..neutral, with thumb tipping a bit more downward every day.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Although I'm planning to stick with 3.5, I'm still paying some attention to the 4e epdates for usability in houseruling and just out of interest. My opinions thusfar are very mixed. I'll say thumbs alightly up though, for some good rules concepts I've seen. Definite thumbs down on the fluff I've seen though.

Remove ads