D&D 4E Simple Poll - How do you feel about 4E Right Now?

How do you rate 4E based on what we know at this time?

• Thumbs up?

Votes: 346 67.7%
  • Thumbs down?

Votes: 165 32.3%

Ourph

First Post
DaveMage said:
Well, we've hit 500 responses with about 2/3 to 1/3 in favor.

Interesting.
Considering that many people who have voiced major reservations about 4e have been made to feel very unwelcome in the 4e forum, I would agree. Very interesting. I would have expected the positive responses to account for a much higher percentage.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I'm not sure what exactly the poll MEANS.

Thumbs Up if it means "4e so far sounds considerably better than 3.5 and like a game you would consider playing."

Thumbs Down if it means "4e so far sounds like it will be your system of choice, at least for D&D style games."

Lackhand

First Post
Ourph said:
Considering that many people who have voiced major reservations about 4e have been made to feel very unwelcome in the 4e forum, I would agree. Very interesting. I would have expected the positive responses to account for a much higher percentage.

This is the kind of "sentiment" or background feeling that it's hard to point at examples of, but I'd say that the mods have been pretty evenhanded at keeping everybody on an even keel and reining in tempers.

I don't think they've been made to feel unwelcome, just that they've been asked to make substantive posts (I'd argue there are (still) fewer "I just signed in to say I like 4th ed. Bye!" posts than there are/were "I just signed in to say 4th ed ate my dog. Bye!" posts). This isn't because either position is unreasoned or anything, just that in the initial announcement, there was a tidal wave of nerd-rage; there are still a lot of healthy/normal members of the community who contribute here with negative points of view on 4th ed.

Everybody's been asked to make substantive posts. What's the point, otherwise? ;)

Last edited:

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I keep going back and forth, but overall I guess I spend more time on the Thumbs Up side of things.

There appear to be some really good things in the works, but I'm somewhat skeptical that it can live up to all of the hype.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
I will be buying the PHB (possibly the 3-book package), so I guess that puts me in the Thumbs Up category. I think "cautiously optimistic" is probably the best phrase to use in the situation, however.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
GoodKingJayIII said:
I will be buying the PHB (possibly the 3-book package), so I guess that puts me in the Thumbs Up category. I think "cautiously optimistic" is probably the best phrase to use in the situation, however.

I'm guessing that a lot of people feel the way you do.

I'll run this poll again in January (after both preview books are out) to see where people stand at that time. I think we'll get a much better picture of what the EN World fanbase is planning to do with regard to 4E.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Thumbs down.

As much as I wish I could like 4e, the stuff that I've heard so far has me feeling depressed overall. All the fundamental stuff they're changing makes it feel like d20 fantasy rather than D&D to me. This is not just a new edition, it is a totally new game that was only inspired by D&D rather than actually being D&D, if you know what I mean.

Remove ads