Simulating D&D4E

knightofround

First Post
Although I am a big fan of 4E, one of the biggest problems I have with it over 3E is the difficulty of providing out-of-game explanations for in-game mechanics.

So I thought I would ask, how do you explain healing surges/encounter breaks/tiered leveling in your campaign world? (I'm talking about something beyond "it's just a game, suspend your disbelief")

For my own campaign setting, I'm considering using dragons as genetic engineers who actually created the Dragonborn, Elves, Eladdrin, etc. rather than the gods. The PCs/NPCs with levels are random evolutionary offshoots from common stock. These characters have the regenative features of having a buttload of hitpoints and healing surges. They also learn more quickly than others of its "stock", explaining how they can advance in power so quickly. The offset is that the mutation reduces the character's natural lifespan.

Another explanation I'm thinking about using for Dwarves/Halflings is that the PC features are a result of divine favor. Or in the case of Tieflings, unholy favor. If the character displeases their patron, all the "PC goodies" can potentially vanish from PCs. ie Paladin code to the extreme. The basic premise being that Dwarves and Halflings, along with Humans, were the original races created by the gods. Tieflings and individuals opposed to the god's portfolio can get PC benefits from powerful demons that are invading the campaign world.

Yet another explanation I'm thinking about using for humans is the FF7/Dune-ish trope. Individuals can consume a drug that unlocks "human potential" much like Mako or Melange. Large quantities can accelerate an individual into epic levels for a short period of time, but the strain has severe effects on the human body, often creating "monsters". Smaller quantities over time can develop "super-soldiers". The drug only works for beings of human/half elf physiology, so it helps them compete with other races in terms of having "super-heroic" representatives. Of course it is extremely expensive.

A high level minion is essentially a normal guy who wasn't lucky enough to get one of the above routes to "PC-dom", but still through hard work and dedication obtained their "uber stats"

How do you explain some of 4Es abstract mechanics in your game?

RSKennan

Explorer
I suggested this a while ago-

I'm a very, very simulationist/immersionist guy, but for some reason I love 4e.

Anyway, for me it helps to assume that "The gods" or some other powerful interested beings are watching. Their excitement and cheering gives the PCs power, which allows them to do special things when it achieves a certain level. Daily abilities are tougher, but maybe they take more power, and can only fully recharge when PCs are fully rested.

For magic item slots, I kind of use an idea similar to chakras (chakram). Some places on the body correspond to places in the soul, which allow certain magics to link in and activate.

Edit: Leveling- I usually just let it be transparent. It has no in game justification for me, and I try to mentally "smooth the edges" between levels. At some point, you're ready to try that special move you've been practicing, and you're a bit luckier when it comes to people trying to hit you.

Henry

Autoexreginated
How do you explain some of 4Es abstract mechanics in your game?

Four Words: John MacClane, and Rocky Balboa. :)

I had a problem with healing surges initially, but shortly realized how pedantic I was being, given how unrealistic hit points have been since at the very least 3rd edition. The healing rates for the amount of damage a character took and healed naturally in 4e was phenomenal, and 4e just made it even more phenomenal. When I realized it wasn't that much of a stretch from healing completely in one night versus healing completely in three to five nights, it didn't bug me as much.

It bugged me even less when I started thinking about the effects of non-critical injuries (that is, injuries that don't involve vital organs) on human beings in real life; someone who is shot in the arm, say, or stabbed in the shoulder just might go down from the shock and pain of the wound, only to get back up a few seconds later; they wouldn't be all right, but with immediate field treatment (stop blood loss, apply astringents, etc.) they might be able to keep going a little while longer, and adrenaline might even get them combat-able if their lives are threatened. In real life, of course, we also have insta-kill shots, but in D&D physics, those don't happen very often.

So 4e by default is very cinematic in nature, being the province of Die Hard or Rocky than Aliens or No Country for Old Men.

Najo

First Post
Healing Surges are the life force and vitality of the hero. Their own personal inner strength is called upon for magical healing and pushing through near death with second wind.

Encounters in D&D 4e are like scenes in a movie. After a major event, the heroes either regather themselves or they push on a do more and more heroic things. This is why resting either recovers your encounter powers, while pushing on gives you action points and magic item uses.

Tiered levels is a way of representing the heroic but mortal/ the supernatural heroes/ near divine heroes. Basically, if your world is going to remain realistic and gritty, keep everyone at level 1-10. 11-20 is when characters are bending reality and doing some amazing myth level things and then 21-30 is taking on the gods and changing the paradigm itself.

I remember reading an article from a designer that heroic level is intended to have very little barrier removing magic and when a character dies it is hard to get them back. At paragon level, characters are doing more teleporting, divination and flight (i.e. barrier removing magic) and that they come back after dying with a quest or some sort of task. Epic level is the characters can shape the world around them and do what they please and death is a speed bump.

Remathilis

Legend
I'll let this guy explain it.

Gary Gygax said:
It is important to keep in mind that, after all is said and done, {Advanced} Dungeons & Dragons is a game. Because it is a game, certain things that seem "unrealistic" or simply unnecessary are integral to the system. {...}

Long and short of it, don't think too hard about fantasy. ;)

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
For magic item slots, I kind of use an idea similar to chakras (chakram). Some places on the body correspond to places in the soul, which allow certain magics to link in and activate.
Huh? Ok, you lost me here. Is this some Eastern philosophy thing that I've never heard of? I know what chakras are, and not just the Xena ones.

knightofround

First Post
I had a problem with healing surges initially, but shortly realized how pedantic I was being, given how unrealistic hit points have been since at the very least 3rd edition. The healing rates for the amount of damage a character took and healed naturally in 4e was phenomenal, and 4e just made it even more phenomenal. When I realized it wasn't that much of a stretch from healing completely in one night versus healing completely in three to five nights, it didn't bug me as much.
Yeah that's a good point, its not something that is unique to 4E. Healing rates over time in 3E never made sense, but it was something I just waved my arms at. Much like whenever my PCs would want to play a group without a Druid/Cleric, they suddenly had an abundance of healing potions.

But when I get to 4Es "second wind" it gets to the point where I think "hmm...this is a bit too much like spontaneous regeneration, maybe I should think up an explanation for this". And a few other concepts too -- the act of leveling up was always metagame-y (for story reasons I never wanted to require PCs to train to level up) but its more pronounced in 4E because when you go up a tier you gain much more power than a "normal" level.

Long and short of it, don't think too hard about fantasy. ;)
Yes, I am well aware of the quote. However, just because Gygax didn't care much for simulationism doesn't mean that nobody else should. =) I imagine that the D&D game that the average gamer plays today would be quite different than how Gygax would run one.

I think the key is to use simulation to enhance the playing experience, rather than detract from it. In many ways I think 3E went a bit too overboard on simulationism by overloading the system with rulesets. Aerial/naval combat, the ridiculous ECL/CR system, skill overlaps/synergies, separate mechanics for combat maneuvers trip/grapple/disarm/sunder, unique rules for unique PrCs/supplements, etc...the variety of mechanics made the playing experience to feel more "surreal" than 2E, but the rule-mongering did detract from gameplay.

I think that's the main reason why I'm attracted to 4E despite my simulationist tendencies. They've cut out much of that gunk, which is great, but the inevitable cost is that it is going to make the game less realistic. I don't have a problem with that, as its easier (and more fun!) for me to think up fluff explanations of in-game mechanics, rather than memorizing and implementing a bajillion rulesets. That's what I had in mind for this thread.

Oh and I don't mind that some people don't care for simulationism. I'm just curious that if you WERE interested, how would you go about doing it? ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads