• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Simulation vs Game - Where should D&D 5e aim?

"Forge-y narrativism" is closer to where I'm at. For me, the key aspect of contrivance is not that the PCs will win, but that wins or losses will occur at points that matter. A slogan I have used in the past is "no failure off-screen". To use one of the LotR examples again, in the sort of play the Battle of the Pelenor fields is absolutely not going to be lost because of a random roll on a weather chart to see which direction the wind is blowing. But it might well be lost because the PC who confronts the Witch King fails to defeat him.
I'm still not exactly sure what you mean. Could a battle be lost because Legolas didn't bring enough arrows? Or would that never be the case, because it's not dramatically important?

While I'm definitely not a fan of rail-roading, I am equally opposed to the idea that the PCs are "special" in any way that can't be explained in-game. In 4E, for example, PCs have daily powers and action points and all that, where an NPC who might be nearly identical from an in-game context may have re-charge abilities and only one healing surge, or whatever.

It's super important to me that the rules provide a consistent method for converting that in-game person into a character sheet. If you have a fight between PC Ranger Bob and NPC Ranger Rob (or their respective parties), then I need to know that the outcome is based on luck and skill and tactics and whatever substantive in-game differences they may actually possess, rather than because one side is using PC rules and the other side is using NPC rules (which are factors that have no in-game meaning).

It's an important aspect of simulation, to me, that the game rules remain neutral in such a thing.

Mallus

Legend
... I am equally opposed to the idea that the PCs are "special" in any way that can't be explained in-game. In 4E, for example, PCs have daily powers and action points and all that, where an NPC who might be nearly identical from an in-game context may have re-charge abilities and only one healing surge, or whatever.
How do you feel about AD&D/OD&D?

Most humanoids can't gain class levels. All PCs can (and some NPCs, too). Nothing in-game, outside of the class levels themselves, differentiates one group from the other.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I don't think I was saying that at all. I didn't say anything about harmony, nor about the various art forms you mentioned.

SNIP
A game ability for players to create contrived outcomes shortcircuits game play. They are only applicable to rules for shared storybuilding. We've been through this before. You don't want an RPG you want a set of rules to tell a story with other people. That isn't role playing or what Dungeons & Dragons is designed for.

I don't agree with this. At any given point in D&D, the options open to the players are, in practice, unlimited. For instance, if the GM describes the PCs walking across a stony ground, the players have whatever options they can think of to investigage stones, pick them up, try and use them to advantage (eg throwing them at nearby things to see what happens, etc).
That's absolutely false. How can you possibly justify endless reams of different books for game element constructions with this position? At every given point players can make a choice based on anything they can imagine (a finite actuality), but games aren't about choices. They are about options and D&D has billions, maybe trillions, but they are still finite in number, even if only discerned from the referees responses and never ultimately known to the players.

Fiction is not a narrative term that limits thought experiments to liteary theory. Quine, for instance, one of the greatest of American analytic philosophers and in no sense a literary theorist, was writing in Word and Object and other books 50-odd years ago about the fictional character of thought experiments, counterfactual claims, and the like, and their relationship to scientific method.

SNIP
You and both know we have degrees in Philosophy. We've both read Ayer, W.V.O., probably Rorty, and other relevant to the discussion. I don't need a primer. Quine believed he reached an absolute conclusion. A certainty. He believed he proved logic to be ultimately indecipherable. Logic pattern = game patterns and game play being pattern recognition as it is, he wouldn't advocate for anything outside literary theory either. (Well he might have in the 50s, but not anyone after the Positivists) All this went down in the last years of the 1970s and by the early 80s certain English departments became untenable to be around given some of their professors believing authorship was some "all-knowledge" everyone did. That the universe was built with text and all that. It isn't -necessarily- so. Our Indie scene is an off shoot of some latter-day culture warriors still battling for the denouncement through ignorance of pattern recognition. Except we lose everything interesting, unique, cool, fun, and self-identifying to games when we follow the Big Model (a paint-by-numbers copy of post-structural theory found in some Literature departments).

Fantasy / Reality. That is the real divide games must maintain for players.
Not fiction / non-fiction. These are referential terms.
No one is claiming D&D is depicts reality. Games don't depict reality. They are the things in and of themselves players play. They don't refer to reality when playing them except at the loss of paying attention to the game.

Accepting Quine's vocabulary would be like going to the root of the divergence of the post-philosophy movement and claiming we should begin on only his side for our discussion. Why would anyone start a debate by denying their own position?

(You should know if you don't already, I don't have a position here. Not pro-pattern recognition at least. I'm simply advocating for the rejection of narrative absolutism as has become the contemporary group-think in game theory. Games actually aren't stories.)

How do you feel about AD&D/OD&D?

Most humanoids can't gain class levels. All PCs can (and some NPCs, too). Nothing in-game, outside of the class levels themselves, differentiates one group from the other.
I have little to no experience with OD&D, but at least as of AD&D 2E, anyone could gain levels. They just mostly didn't. And for anyone who did gain levels, they acted "as" the appropriate class - so you'd have an orc chieftain who fought as a sixth-level fighter, or a goblin shaman who acted as a second-level cleric.

If the PCs were anything special, it was entirely because of what they "did", and not at all because of any special consideration granted by the narrative.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I'm still not exactly sure what you mean. Could a battle be lost because Legolas didn't bring enough arrows? Or would that never be the case, because it's not dramatically important?

While I'm definitely not a fan of rail-roading, I am equally opposed to the idea that the PCs are "special" in any way that can't be explained in-game. In 4E, for example, PCs have daily powers and action points and all that, where an NPC who might be nearly identical from an in-game context may have re-charge abilities and only one healing surge, or whatever.

It's super important to me that the rules provide a consistent method for converting that in-game person into a character sheet. If you have a fight between PC Ranger Bob and NPC Ranger Rob (or their respective parties), then I need to know that the outcome is based on luck and skill and tactics and whatever substantive in-game differences they may actually possess, rather than because one side is using PC rules and the other side is using NPC rules (which are factors that have no in-game meaning).

It's an important aspect of simulation, to me, that the game rules remain neutral in such a thing.

I kinda agree.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I have little to no experience with OD&D, but at least as of AD&D 2E, anyone could gain levels. They just mostly didn't. And for anyone who did gain levels, they acted "as" the appropriate class - so you'd have an orc chieftain who fought as a sixth-level fighter, or a goblin shaman who acted as a second-level cleric.

Here's some text from the 2E Monstrous Manual on orcs:

For every three orcs encountered, there will be a leader and three assistants. These orcs will have 8 hit points each, being the meanest and strongest in the group. If 150 orcs or more are encountered there will be the following additional figures with the band: a subchief and 3-18 guards, each with Armor Class 4, 11 hit points, and +1 damage due to Strength on all attacks. They fight as monsters of 2 Hit Dice (THAC0 19). For every 100 orcs encountered, there will be either a shaman (maximum 5th level priest) or a witch doctor (maximum 4th-level mage). Shamans and witch doctors gain an extra 1d4 hit points for each level above 1st and fight as a monster of 1 Hit Die for every two levels (round fractions up) of spell-casting ability (e.g., a 5th-level shaman has d8+4d4 hit points and fights as a 3 Hit Dice monster.)​

Hussar

Legend
A game ability for players to create contrived outcomes shortcircuits game play. They are only applicable to rules for shared storybuilding. We've been through this before. You don't want an RPG you want a set of rules to tell a story with other people. That isn't role playing or what Dungeons & Dragons is designed for.

/snip

Games actually aren't stories.)

Baloney. Get out of Jail Free Cards in Monopoly do not shortcut game play. Yet, they are a game ability to create a contrived outcome. I'd hardly call it a game for creating shared story building.

Your last bit is almost true. Roleplaying games are means for creating shared stories. It's Cops and Robbers with a lot more rules.

Here's some text from the 2E Monstrous Manual on orcs:
Interesting. I guess my memory wasn't quite what I'd held it up to be.

Still, the important thing was that the mechanical differences represented actual, substantive differences between individuals. Orcs had shamans and witch-doctors instead of clerics and mages, and the difference in their stats and abilities was because they were different things (rather than reflecting their narrative importance).

Hussar

Legend
As far as differentiating PC's from NPC's, I'd also point out that being a monster actually gave you a different attack matrix in AD&D. You didn't get to attack like a fighter, or a cleric, you attacked like a monster.

People, I think, tend to conflate the 3e style, where everything uses the same mechanics, as the only way D&D has ever done things. 3e is very much the outlier here. AD&D certainly didn't do things that way. Monsters were monsters, and PC's used the PHB. It was a big exception to allow NPC's to use PC rules. I mean, in the 2e Monstrous Manual, even humans weren't given classes. They were given stats based on their job. The leaders might have classes, but, generally, we're talking about 10% or less of the total numbers encountered.

This was a very big shift in 3e, where everything was standardised.

This was a very big shift in 3e, where everything was standardised.
Monsters were monsters, sure, but an adventurer was an adventurer. Most people weren't adventurers.

Given how much of the earlier editions were driven by the DM, I think it's a safe bet that the size of the shift between 2E and 3E would vary wildly between tables.

Remove ads