• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Single Best Sci-Fi Television Moment . . . EVAR!?

Banshee16

First Post
Roswell
A particularly emotional moment for me was the Roswell Christmas Special, when Max was in the room, trying to heal the sick kids, getting weaker and weaker. Cheesy, yeah...but for a childhood cancer survivor, who lived in a room like that for a year, it pulled some strings. Really affected my parents as well, when they saw the episode.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I like all of the above, but there is one that sticks in my memory that others may not have seen:

Either Amazing Stories or Outer Limits, we have an earth guy and gal that are soldiers and prisoners of the bad guy aliens that are kicking the crap out of earth's forces. She is slowly being turned into an alien because of their experiments. (spoiler in black)
He wants to give her some hope and tells her about the secret Earth forces build up for a counter attack. She then reveals "They are not changing me...they are changing me back" and leaves with the info the aliens need to crush Earth.

Oh, and the finale of "Blake's Seven"

And a Doctor Who. Vs. Some space vampires on a medievalish world.

Soldier: "Sire, the peasants are revolting!"
Vampire: "Well hold them off as long as you can."
Soldier: "But Sire -- we'll die."
Vampire: "Then *die*! That's what guards are *for*!"

And some opening sequences: Opening sequence of Lexx. Love that song. Opening sequence of Red Dwarf. Love that instrumental poignancy.

Last edited:

ThirdWizard

First Post
I can't say this is the best, but this is one of my favorites, a line from DS9, given by Garak. Actually, some of my very favorite lines from that show are given by Garak. It's the episode "In the Pale Moonlight" where Sisko gets the Romulans into the fight with the Dominion.

That's why you came to me, isn't it, Captain? Because you knew I could do those things that you weren't capable of doing? Well, it worked. And you'll get what you want: a war between the Romulans and the Dominion. And if your conscience is bothering you, you should soothe it with the knowledge that you may have just saved the entire Alpha Quadrant. And all it cost was the life of one Romulan senator, one criminal, and the self-respect of one Starfleet officer. I don't know about you, but I'd call that a bargain.

Chimera

First Post
I like/love a lot of these moments.

My favorite is probably the Vir bit where we get the payoff of that earlier setup and he's actually waving at Morden's head on a pike.

But I also like the scene on Zahadum (or however that's spelled) when Sheridan finally realizes that his wife is dead and that the thing before him is not her. When he pulls the gun and ends up backing toward the ramp, calling down the ship and jumping into "oblivion".

Ivanova just before attacking the hybrid Shadow/Earth vessels. "God Sent Me."

Buffy dying for Dawn (what some consider the "true" end of the series).

Starman

Adventurer
CarlZog said:
Kirk preventing McCoy from saving Edith Keeler in "The City on the Edge of Forever"

Exactly what I thought when I read the title of the thread.

McCoy: Do you know what you've done?
Spock: He knows, Doctor. He knows.

Wow. Fantastic episode all around, but that part just gets me.

Orius

Legend
Man it's tough to pick, there's so many great moments from Star Trek and B5 alone, not to mention every other series out there that had their moments.

Dracomeander

First Post
I like all the B5 moments listed so far, but there is one more that just sticks in my mind.

Londo: What's going ON?!!
Ivanova: Boom...boom, boom...BOOM!!
Londo: Won't somebody give me a straight answer?!

John Crichton

First Post
Mistwell said:
Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II", seeing the results of the Battle of Wolf 359 (first major battle between the United Federation of Planets' Starfleet and the Borg). What can beat seeing 39 dead ships in one moment?
That moment is certainly a classic unforgettable Trek moment. That was really the first time that I felt the Federation was helpless against a foe. The first Borg encounter was creepy and I thought it was a one-shot (because of Q's involvement). When they returned, I figured that Starfleet minds would have built some better defenses up. Nope. Wolf 359 was an exclamation point and ellipsis moment. Made even better by the naming of the dead ships as they passed through the graveyard.

Last edited:

Remove ads