• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sins of Our Fathers - 2/10 - Final Update

Zad

First Post
I'm not sure what to say. Your story is fantastic, amazing, disturing (in a good way) and generally wonderful. You so far eclipse my skills as a writer that I could not possibly offer substantive commentary and would indeed beg you for your critique of my own writing. You wanted to hear, so I'm saying something, but unfortunately I'm afraid it amounts to nothing. I can't think of a thing I could offer as a suggestion. Well done sir.

I should also add I find it fascinating how you are able to tell a great story as much by what you do not include as by what you do. You just discarded a major battle because it didn't tell a good story and the story was great for it. It's something I will have to try more of.

Last edited:

Alejandro

First Post
I, too, would love to read about a combat as it occurs rather than after the fact, but I understand that these events happened oh-so-many months ago.

My only complaint is the use of FR gods in an otherwise exciting homebrew setting. I love Sep's story because it features an atypical, interactive cosmology. Having dragged myself through the divine meddling that is the Time of Troubles, the concept of gods who do not interfere in the affairs of mortals despite dire prophesies is marvelously refreshing until I run smack dab into these darn FR names!

[Destan asked me to post this here - it's edited from its original form.]

I enjoy reading this story. The plot is compelling - I want to know what happens next - and the writing is solid. Perhaps a bit flowery, but that is apparently a deliberate stylistic choice, and I like flowery prose in moderation (Jack Vance and Stephen Brust are a bit much for me, though).

However, I find the characterization to be the weakest part of the story. Some characters are well defined, but others remain a blur in my mind. For example, I can hardly tell Raylin's and Kellus's personalities apart. (If I didn't know their different D&D classes it would be even worse.) Amelyssan fades into the background a lot, with the "mysterious mage" bit being overdone.

I believe the problem (and I have this myself) is that your personality stays the same, regardless of who you're writing about. And this is a very difficult problem to overcome unless you have multiple personality disorder. Perhaps you can try varying your writing style when writing from different characters' points of view; e.g., long flowing dramatic sentences for John, or bitter cynical comments interspersed in the story for Kellus.

One exercise that I found helpful in a class back in high school (and yes, that was a long time ago, you young whipper-snappers) was deliberately to mimic a certain author's style, choosing a particular character and writing about something that happened "off stage". In my high school class I mimicked the destinctive style of Alan Paton (Too Late the Phalarope, Cry the Beloved Country), and it gave me a taste of what it's like to mold one's writing style to a story and a character. Perhaps that would be a useful exercise for others as well?

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
pogre said:
1st - You need pictures. Everything is better with lots of pictures. Which leads me to my second point

2nd - You need lots of great miniatures and terrain

3rd - Spend lots of time painting and modelling

First, I think pogre lives on EN World. This fact is all the most astonishing because I know he's a teacher, coach, and father of three. Second, pogre, don't think I haven't entertained the thought of throwing my players in a van, driving to Illinois, and kidnapping you and all your wonderful models and figures.

Hmm...maybe over the holidays would be a good time - when you least expect it.

I would not mind reading about the party kicking some rear end in an easy fight. Not all combats have to be desperate affairs or near things.

Did one of my players pay you to post that? I heard that from them time and again, especially during the early parts of this campaign (the portions recorded here in this story hour thus far).

It's a valid critique. In novels, often, the heroes have a handful of major battles. Books don't - usually - address wandering encounters, combats that have no real bearing on the main theme, minor skirmishes, etc. After a few months I realized that I was not DMing a book; I was DMing a D&D campaign. Sounds simple, but it was a huge shift in my outlook. I started throwing more non-deadly encounters in the PC's direction, and let them flex some muscle they had earned through advancement. Unfortunately, those changes won't really become apparent until the story hour progresses a bit further.

Seule said:
I'd like to hear about battles firsthand rather than having the story told. The first time was cool, but it's happened a couple of times. It's hard to keep up the suspense of a battle, when you already know nothing bad happened. Basically, having John tell the story after the fact should be the exception rather than the rule, and highlighting exactly how far from the truth he is made that one time (Izzy?) a lot better.

Hmm…again, I think my players may be involved in a conspiracy here. Seule, I think you were the one that offered the good advice to post a disclaimer at the beginning of this thread. And your advice here, also, is excellent. I think – no, I hope – that the ‘after the fact’ tales are finished, now. From here on out I’ll endeavor to write about them ‘real time.’

Let me give you my weak excuse as to why I employed that style with the Ippi and Ral fights. First and foremost, I didn’t feel like writing about those combats. When I sat down to record an update, I’d find myself surfing the net, thumbing through books, or – generally – doing anything to delay having to tell a tale of an incident I was not interested in. I could ‘see’ John telling the story to Laughing Luke much better than I could ‘see’ the party actually fighting Ippi. So, eventually, my laziness won. I skipped the battle, wrote what I felt like writing, and moved on. I figured if I didn’t like writing a certain update, chances were high you folks wouldn’t like reading it, either. The good news is that the upcoming combats do interest me, and I do want to write about them in detail. So look for more of that in the future.

Seravin said:
Is [your story] dark? Yes, but so what? That's the background and the story. It's not chtuluesque and I at least have the sense that the characters are making a difference - one little step at a time.

I had to chuckle when I read that last sentence, Seravin. My players – until very recently – bemoaned the fact that ‘no one was on their side’ and that the entire world was against them. It’s not true, mind you, but I did realize that was the picture I was painting. As the party advances in level – and, again, we’re not there yet in the story hour – they begin to learn they do have allies, and some of them powerful ones at that. Even so, the group is now of fairly high level (not Mostin-Eadric levels, but nearing those two worthies) and still, I think, my players feel they have not yet been granted the ‘proper respect’ by the citizens of Ostia Prim. I sorta like it that way.

darkdancer said:
The evil characters are not simple, not two dimensional bad-guys, but complicated people each with their own flavor.

You hit on something I really enjoy – giving ‘reasonable’ motives to the bad guys. My players have commented that they have learned more in this SH than they had known, as characters, during the campaign. I love the ability to pull the curtains aside and show the bad guys, away from the PC’s; it’s something I couldn’t do when we were actually playing these sessions. An evil character with logical, if flawed, aims is much more satisfying – in my opinion.

Also, along these lines, one of my players last night told me he now likes Poridel. This particular player didn’t like him as much during the actual gaming. An interesting by-product of writing on these boards, and one that I enjoy.

Finally, my husband or I usually read the latest segment aloud to each other (otherwise we'd be fighting for control of the computer at each update), and your love of language makes it a joy to read this way, either by being the reader or the listener.

To think that I can sit in my dark little den in Maryland, USA, and produce something that you and your husband enjoy out there in Japan is, well, so incredibly cool. It’ll probably stick in my mind all this weekend. I’ll be walking my kids around Trick-or-Treatin’ and be thinking, “Hey, I wonder if darkdancer has read the latest update aloud yet…” Then I’ll feel good inside, steal my kids’ candy, and feel even better.

I just thought about how refreshing it is when fantasy fiction does not have to be "escapist" fiction but simply a way to explore new and interesting ideas outside (and within) the framework of our common and uncommon myths.

Amen. I must confess – I don’t enjoy reading fantasy that much. Most of it, in my limited experience, is written on an adolescent level. Probably one of the driving reasons why I enjoy Martin’s work so much.

Tellerve said:
…apart from the one time that most everyone got a bit confused with the storyline with Poridel…

Still regret that one. I think I lost a lot of folks from me trying to be too clever for my own good. Lesson learned.

And finally I'd say that the reason I like your's and Sep's so much is I would LOVE to play in them. I crave a dm that has that much unique world built and interaction with everything. Perhaps it doesn't in reality play out at a table nearly as well, but I don't know that.

You know, it doesn’t always ‘play’ as well as it comes out in the story hour, in my opinion. We, like other gaming groups, have to take breaks every once in a while to look up a rule, a spell description, etc. Debates about rulings and what not do spring up, unfortunately. I have some very smart players, who are very knowledgeable about the rules, and that can cause headaches at times. I wouldn’t have it any other way – I want to play the game correctly – but the story hour doesn’t show a 15 minute pause while we try to figure out if someone’s Reflex save is affected by them being magically held. On the other hand, there’s some instances where the story hour fails to capture the fun we had with a certain encounter or NPC. That’s just a reflection of me as a writer – hopefully these situations will happen less and less often as we progress.

Incidentally, I’d love to play in Sep’s campaign, too. :)

gloomymarshes said:
First, the only thing about your story hour that kind of irks me is that you kind of 'skip' parts of story, like in between updates or major battles.

My players constantly remind me that I’m not writing a book, per se, but that I’m recording what happened. This is their story as much as it is mine – if not more. Some of them take a dim view to me unduly modifying their characters’ personalities or what they might have said – it’s a constant balancing act between writing a good story and remaining true to the campaign. Really – for me, it’s probably the most difficult aspect of telling this tale.

As I mentioned above, I have skipped some details that I didn’t particularly want to write about. I think that’ll happen less now that we’ve reached a certain point in the campaign’s progression.

Celtavian said:
My only complaint is that you're campaign power level is too low. I find low level D&D characters and the situations they find themselves in boring.

I must admit I’m of an opposite mindset. I love low-level D&D with the always-present threat of death. My characters now teleport about the world willy-nilly, they commune to find the answers to certain hard questions, they banish omnipotent outsiders in the blink of an eye. I miss the old days of making them buy horses and rations, wondering whether they can safely make a journey from A to B within three tendays’ time, and generally being one-step-from-fleeing during any encounter.

Until I read Sep’s, Dru’s and Piratecat’s own story hours, I had a fear of high-level play bordering on the irrational. I just wasn’t convinced it could be as fun, or as balanced. Now, thankfully, I know I’m wrong. And I have those three writers – and others on these boards – to thank for that.

Celt, stick with us if you can. These little Olgotha cats will get high enough in level soon enough. And you’ll be wondering where their childhood went. Or maybe not. :)

Mahtave said:
This whole upcoming encounter in the barrows would not have been near as exciting if we were not clued in to the fact that [the Cyrics] are there ready to attack the would-be heroes.

I agree. This is the first time many of my players have been privy to the behind-the-scenes stuff. Until we hit upon this whole story hour thing, I figured they would either never learn, or I’d just tell them after the campaign finished – at which time, they probably wouldn’t remember/care anyway.

Zad said:
I should also add I find it fascinating how you are able to tell a great story as much by what you do not include as by what you do. You just discarded a major battle because it didn't tell a good story and the story was great for it. It's something I will have to try more of.

Ack! Be careful, Senor Zad, as it appears my ‘skips’ don’t sit well with many folks. Further, the Savage Sword of Meepo needs no adjustments whatsoever. That’s a great yarn, as evidenced by your loyal following – of which I’m proud to be a member.

Alejandro said:
My only complaint is the use of FR gods in an otherwise exciting homebrew setting.

If I could go back and change some things, that would be near the top of the list. The first session we had was a reunion more than a start of any far-reaching campaign. We hadn’t played together in years, we had all gone our different ways in terms of geographic location and jobs and whatnot. I just wanted to have an evening of gaming nostalgia. Since I only had so much time to prepare, I took the easy road and grabbed the FR pantheon and made it my own.

John’s PC said:
The story hour started out with viewpoints bouncing around (from character to character) - a very good thing. It is now the "John of Pell Show"- not so good…we've hardly heard anything from Amelyssan’s point of view. Same for Vath. We have five other well-developed characters who need some 'stage time'.

This was a critique offered by John’s player, Matt, on our campaign boards. I think it worthy enough to repeat here. John has been one the most common POV’s I use for a number of reasons – 1) he’s easy, 2) he’s a bard, and 3) I’m very comfortable with him.

Matt’s comment goes hand-in-hand with Joshua’s above post. I had asked Josh to post his input here because it may help others who are writing. Suffice to say, I intend to branch out a bit more with the characters I use, and I’m gonna make a concerted effort to vary the author’s voice throughout. This is a tall order, though, so I wouldn’t expect it to happen overnight.

Great input, folks! Each and every post has been helpful. Please, keep it coming if you have something to say.

Thanks!
D

Zad

First Post
My players constantly remind me that I’m not writing a book, per se, but that I’m recording what happened. This is their story as much as it is mine – if not more. Some of them take a dim view to me unduly modifying their characters’ personalities or what they might have said – it’s a constant balancing act between writing a good story and remaining true to the campaign.
A very interesting thing you've brought up here. Originally my story was just that - a record of what happened for our benefit. Over time it's evolved to be more of a story, but there are times these priorities conflict. There are times that the character-author does not know things that need to be recorded. Sometimes I contrive my way around them or assume a certain level of discussion in the group, and others I just neglect, but it is a pickle as I try to make a better tale, it is by some necessity a lesser record.

As for the notion of skipping fights, I think it's a question of moderation. Skipping a major fight, even if it was easy, is usually not something I've done. But there are times when a simple encounter could be glossed over with little mention. It would for me be the exception rather than the rule to avoid droning on about slapping orcs senseless, and that's what I meant by "using it more often". As for how much, I think that's a matter of the author's style.

Wow

Destan, this is great stuff. Truly well-written material, and I agree with prior posters about two things: 1) the different points of view, both good and evil, are outstanding and add depth; 2) the evil characters and other NPCs are thoroughly fleshed out - no cardboard NPCs here.

Lela

First Post
I've been thinking on it and, if I had to say something I didn't like, I'd have to go with one of two things.
  1. You don't update daily.
  2. Try not to do after the fact stuff too much. Remember that the party's preperation is another sign of their skill. Should that preperation pay off it's a good thing and it can add to the story. I also was a lot confused by the whole story telling thing this time. Though, too be fair, I should mention that I became so enthralled in the story that I quickly lost track of what I didn't know.

pogre

Legend
Destan said:
First, I think pogre lives on EN World. This fact is all the most astonishing because I know he's a teacher, coach, and father of three. Second, pogre, don't think I haven't entertained the thought of throwing my players in a van, driving to Illinois, and kidnapping you and all your wonderful models and figures.

Hmm...maybe over the holidays would be a good time - when you least expect it.

Ho, the holidays would be a good time, because then you could come play in HaggettConV

Hey, don't forget in my collection of hats that I'm working on my Phd. and help out with boys over at BadAxe Games. So, I don't spend ALL of my time here - just long enough to bump the finest story hour back to the front page!

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
But the Songs Say They Do

Vath was the first to exit the barrow. The half-troll lifted his bulbous nose and loudly sniffed the air, the mucous within his nasal passages bubbling like porridge. Only then did Vath squat and stretch one lesion-covered arm into the barrow’s darkness. One by one the half-troll plucked his companions from the hole, appearing very much like a Castamere crabman extracting the night’s catch.

Baden was the last – the dwarf’s ascent was made awkward from the bundle of armor clutched tightly to his chest. Most nights Baden slept fully armored – Borbidan’s regalia was nearly a second skin for the Axemarch warrior. But he had removed his plate the previous evening to work upon the dents Ral’s spiked chain had left as a parting memory.

None of them had expected trouble. Certainly, they had not expected Cyrics.

Vath reached out, grabbed Baden by the back of his gambeson, and pulled him upward. He set the dwarf on his feet as a man might a child. Around them, the party filtered through the thorny corridor away from the ceiling hole.

Baden took but a moment to survey the scene before dropping his armor before him. “Do I have time?”

Vath nodded. “They are upwind. They have not moved closer.”

Baden sat on the wet grass, placed a coif over his head, then pulled his beard out from beneath the mail. As he buckled his greaves, the dwarf favored Vath with a curious look. “You do not wear your wrist-cords, friend. I thought they were a mark of your faith.”

“I wear them still.” Vath held out his hands. Where once there had been tightly-wound twine, there was now a thin, alternating series of cuts and burns. The self-inflicted wounds encircled both of Vath’s wrists. “There has been much suffering. Should I prove worthy in Ilmater’s eyes, one day I might cut them to the bone.”

Whatever emotion Vath’s words might have evinced in Baden was hidden beneath the dwarf’s beard.

Vath turned from Baden and tasted the air once more as his companions spread outward along the barrow’s dome. He tapped his nose. “Blood.”

Baden donned his hauberk and stood. “The Cyrics?”

Vath nodded. “Fresh. I believe one of them is wounded – badly.”

“One of them, eh?” Baden grunted. “That’s a start.”

Half-troll and dwarf walked through the opening in the thorns to stand near their companions who had already gathered near the barrow’s lip. Raylin was on the left flank, Kellus on the right. John stood near Amelyssan, his crossbow in hand. The mist was still thick but lessened with each passing moment. Overhead, far to the east, the sun was a nebulous circle of filmy whiteness.

Twenty paces distant from the edge of the barrow stood a line of crossbowmen. Vath saw six of them, sniffed the air, and knew there to be more still hidden in the milky shroud. All wore chain mail, their tabards soiled but each displaying a jawless, purple skull.

“Easy, friends,” John breathed. “They make no move; let us wait for the sun to do its work upon this fog.”

Time passed. Vath could hear men moving about in the concealment – the sounds muffled. Suddenly the wind increased, blowing toward the party, rippling the fog. The stench of blood was heavy in the air. The half-troll peered into the gloom, attempting to locate its origin.

“By Moridin’s beard,” Baden whispered, “is that-”

“-a giant?” Raylin finished.

At the rear of the assembled Cyrics was an enormously tall figure. Ten feet, perhaps. Odd in shape. It was not moving.

“It bleeds.”

Raylin askance at Vath. “What is it?”

The half-troll shrugged. The scent of blood was coming directly from the large shape in the rear of the Cyrcis, brought forward by the breeze.

Amelyssan squinted, his elven eyes piercing the mists better than those of his companions. “No – not a giant. A stake. A body is on it.” The elf exhaled softly, face etched with bewilderment. “Upside down.”

Without further hesitation, Amelyssan murmured softly and a translucent armor of green-blue surrounded his figure.

“Do that again, elf,” a voice called from the mists, “and you shall die where you stand.”

“Not what I would consider a friendly morning greeting,” John remarked dryly. “I had hoped these louts only wanted directions to the nearest town.”

A man pushed through the line of crossbowmen. The sun had now burned away enough of the fog to reveal the entirety of those assembled at the base of the barrow. Ten crossbowmen. Seven others – some wielding sickles, a few with maces, more with swords. Their speaker continued, “No more spells, elf.”

John stepped forward. “What business do you have here?”

“Here?” The man, armored in plate and wearing Cyric’s insignia, waved a spiked mace. “Our business is with you, not this place.”

“I have many enemies,” John allowed in an affable tone, “but I did not think I counted the priests of Cyric among them. To what do I owe this bit of good fortune?”

The man stopped his advance. His face was hidden within his helm, but his enmity was nearly palpable. “You must be the southlander minstrel.”

John’s grin stretched from ear to ear. “You have heard of me.”

“You slew Ippizcius.” There was no emotion in the tone.

“To tell it true, I did have some assistance.” The bard raised his crossbow and aimed at the man’s chest. “Not much, mind you – but some.”

The man removed his helm and cradled it under one arm, oblivious to any threat posed by John’s crossbow. “We watched you relieve yourself; I find it passing strange you did not need to squat.”

John laughed. The bard removed one hand from his crossbow to feign wiping away a tear. “By the gods, you are a funny one.” He took aim once more, this time for the Cyric’s unprotected face. “You know a bit about me, friend. We know nothing of you – save your brilliant wit, of course.”

Raylin gestured with one blade. “I suggest you start talking.”

“In time.” The priest glanced skyward. “Soon, all will be made clear. When the fog further lifts.”

Baden moved to Raylin’s side. The dwarf spoke quietly, without removing his gaze from the Cyrics. “Too many crossbows, clansman. If it happens here, it will go badly for us.”

“Retreat to the barrow?” Raylin, also, did not look away from the men arrayed below.

“I am thinking that would be best.” The dwarf hefted his axe. “The mists will aid our retreat, but not for much longer.”

The Cyric seemed to understand their intent even if he could not hear their words. “Should one of you – any of you – seek to return to your little hole, I will order my men to shoot.”

An awkward impasse fell upon the plains. Slowly, inexorably, the fog continued to dissipate. John, ever the enemy of silence, squinted along the length of his crossbow and spoke. “For a singer, I am a passably good shot.”

The Cyric shrugged. “Good enough to kill all of us?”

“No,” John allowed, “just you.”

The man snorted. “I am Brother Henratt, favored of my god. I do not fear you, singer.” The last word was filled with contempt.

“You should,” John answered. “I can find the eye of a rabbit at fifty paces.”

“I am no rabbit, southlander.”

“No. You are much larger.”

Amelyssan suddenly gasped. His eyes narrowed even as his face paled. “The body…the body on the stake…”

Baden had not heard the elf use such a tone. “Speak, Amelyssan!” His words sounded harsher in his ears than he had intended. Below them, Henratt donned his helm.

“The man on the stake. We…we know him.” Amelyssan’s voice was soft, but yet held a hard edge. “It is Poridel.”

The color drained from Baden’s face. The dwarf willed his vision to pierce the mists that yet remained. Poridel? Moridin, please…let it not be so.

The laughter, when it issued from Henratt’s helm, dripped with mockery. “Now you see, my little band of Olgotha fools. Our business with you is in earnest.”

The priest gestured casually and his crossbowmen lowered their weapons. “Now, thank Cyric, we may proceed. There is much to discuss.”

For Baden, however, words were suddenly meaningless. The dwarf lifted his axe and picked his way forward through the thorns despite the hissed warnings of his companions. He did not charge, did not cry out, nor did he hurry his pace. Step by step, pace by pace, the Axemarch dwarf made his way down the gentle slope.

“Halt, dwarf.” Henratt’s voice was calm, brimming with malice. “We made an example of the sage. If needed, we will do the same with you.”

Baden continued his march without comment. Ten paces, nine paces, eight paces…

“Another step, stump, and you die.” At Henratt’s gesture, the crossbowmen raised their weapons.

Baden heard John call to him, but paid the bard no heed. Seven paces, six paces…

Henratt sighed. “Shoot him.”

Ten crossbows twanged in unison. Ten bolts sped toward the dwarf.

Not one found its mark.

Only then did Baden charge.

Raylin was dimly aware of Vath running past him, past even the now-sprinting Baden. But his awareness was muted, as if he were underwater and watching events unfold upon a riverbank.

A sound grew in his head, rushing about, swirling. He heard voices – distant yet near, quiet yet terrible.

Power coursed through his body – the power of his ancestors and the spirits of his clanlands. His fingers and toes tingled, his joints and sinews thrummed. “These men,” the ranger intoned in a voice not wholly his own, “are a stain upon the land.”

The fog disappeared. The sun was blinding. Raylin mac Larren spread both arms, his swords slivers of reflected sunlight. “My fathers! Hear me! I say – Let the land answer! Let the land show its wrath!”

And the land did answer; the land did show its wrath.

The brambles and thickets of the Weedsea, the heather and grasses of the Cormick plains, the briars and tendrils of Valusia – these were the instruments of the land’s anger. And, now, they lived.

Ropes of green and yellow sprung from the earth to wrap about Henratt and his men. Strands of grass became clutching weeds, and half-buried roots broke forth from the dirt to twist around boots and knees. A circle of roiling green, as turbulent and deadly as any ocean, spread outward to cover the entirety of the Cyric’s position.

Baden, through immeasurable will, halted his charge but a few feet from the churning undergrowth. A crossbowman was in front of him, the man’s eyes wide with fear as a leafy tendril snaked about his waist. Baden ended his fear with a single, vicious cut. The man’s body remained upright, nearly cloven, held by the grasping hands of the land itself.

From his position, just outside the arc of waving greenery, Baden could safely reach another Cyric. He proceeded to do so – cutting the man’s hand off at the wrist as the crossbowman sought to load his weapon. A second cut, and the man’s stomach was opened. He would be a long time dying.

Though, in Baden’s mind, it would never be long enough.

Vath loped along the ring of weeds like a hound on the edge of fire. He paused only in those places where Cyrics were within reach, leaving broken death in his wake. The half-troll’s body was a spinning, tumbling torch of rage personified. Yet Vath’s inner soul was calm, his thoughts detached, his aim pure and perfect. He did Ilmater’s work, and he did it well.

Motes of golden dust filtered through the air in front of him. The half-troll recognized Amelyssan’s work, and he used it to his advantage.

To Vath, there was no honor in battle. Only suffering. If the men he slew could not see, if they were entangled and whimpering in fear, so be it. His hands and feet were the weapons of his god, his knees and elbows the god’s tools.

In short order the half-troll had nearly made an entire circuit around the perimeter of the grasping weeds. The Cyrics who had been trapped near the edge were dead, now – little more than gruesome scarecrows still squeezed by the land’s anger. Their bodies glistened with wounds - broken and bitten by Vath, carved by Baden’s whirling axe, or sliced cleanly by Raylin’s swords.

A handful of Cyrics, an island of composure amidst a sea of verdant madness, stood well within the circle of dancing vines. Two had John’s mark upon them – bolts stuck at odd angles from hip and leg. Two more were blind, their countenances covered by Amelyssan’s golden film of dust.

Yet not all were incapacitated or wounded. Henratt and some of his mace-wielding followers seemed to have maintained their senses despite the turmoil around them.

Vath eyed the shivering thorns at his feet for but a moment before plunging into the maelstrom. He beat aside briars and kicked away vines, making a line toward Henratt and his remaining followers.

One of the men turned toward him, eyes widening at the half-troll’s approach. The Cyric grabbed a holy symbol from about his neck and pointed at Vath.

And the power of the man’s fell god did what the creepers and vines could not – they held the half-troll.

Vath raged, his sinews cording with the effort, but he could not break free. There was nothing to break free from – an invisible, intangible force held him as tightly as if he were encased in iron. The half-troll rolled his eyes, a maddened stallion, and helplessly watched two Cyric swordsmen close his position.

The pair of warriors seemed to ignore most of the clutching weeds. They made slow but steady progress toward the half-troll, death both in their eyes and held in their hands.

From Vath’s other side, opposite the approaching swordsmen, came Baden. The dwarf furiously pumped his knees, kicking at the tendrils slowing his movement. “Vath,” Baden called, his voice thick, “I am coming!”

The Cyric bladesmen would reach him first, Vath knew; they seemed to have less trouble with the entangling weeds than did Baden. Yet Vath was calm. Years and years ago his god has spoken to him. Once.

He would not die here.

A sword slid through Vath’s ribs, blade flat to the ground. A second thrust entered his collar, spilling his green blood onto his monk’s tunic. Still, he was held.

“Vath!” Baden’s tone was choked with fear and fury. “No!”

A bolt went screaming past Vath’s head, barely missing one of his attackers.

A second missile – this one a shard of arcane energy – impacted soundlessly upon the chest of one of the swordsmen. The man hardly flinched.

Both Cyrics sliced at Vath like men attempting to fell a tree. Cut, thrust, slash. The half-troll began to regain feeling. The pain was incredible, the pain was beautiful. His tunic, his legs, his taloned feet – all were drenched from his own blood.

He saw doubt register on the Cyrics’ faces, now. They had struck him no less than five times, mayhaps more, yet still he stood.

Baden arrived the moment Vath felt the enchantment’s iron grip release its hold. The half-troll sunk to both knees, slowly, then toppled forward onto his face. In the mud and blood, face buried in the writhing ground, Vath smiled.

Then there was only darkness.

The dwarf fought in the style of his own people. For hundreds of years – nay, thousands – the bearded folk had been forced to defend hearth and home from Deepearth raiders. Battles in the corridors of the Balantir Cor were not pretty. The walls were tight, the ceilings low, all spaces confined and narrow. One did not try to kill his enemies – not until after the battle. One merely did what he could to slow the onslaught, to buy time.

Baden did not swing for heart or throat, eyes or chest. No – rather he aimed for knees, ankles, groins. The axe of Borbidan was alive in his hands. The pitted but sharp blade tore through the Cyrics’ mail effortlessly.

As Vath fell Baden’s rage flared with newfound brilliance. He missed with an overhand chop, but quickly brought the axe upward to bite deeply into the man’s crotch. Blood, urine, and other fluids fountained downward from the wound, a multi-colored waterfall.

Baden moved to the next attacker before the first had time to fall.

The second swordsman was experienced. Somewhere, deep within Baden’s mind wherein a kernel of reason still remained, the dwarf realized he might be overmatched. The Cyric’s blade darted outward, skittering across Baden’s black breastplate. The dwarf shifted his grip to one hand, punched with the other, then made an off-balanced swing at the Cyric’s hip.

The sword came at him again. Baden dodged to one side, but not quickly enough. An attack that surely would have killed him instead pierced his armpit where there was no mail. The dwarf felt the left side of his body go numb.

Behind him he heard Amelyssan’s odd, arcane chanting.

Suddenly his attacker went white with fear. His jaw opened, his eyes went wide. The swordsman turned to run.

Baden hamstrung the man before he fled even a single pace.

Around him, the weeds fell once more to the earth. Inert, lifeless, normal.

Baden rammed the head of his axe against the nape of his fallen enemy’s neck. He then strode the two paces to the first man, who still rolled about on the ground clutching at his groin.

Another swing, and silence fell.

Baden dragged a shaking hand across his mouth. He surveyed the destruction. The Cyrics were no more. Where once seventeen living, breathing men had stood, there was now only bodies, tossed haphazardly about like a child-god’s dolls. Somewhere in the crimson mess was Henratt. Good.

Baden tossed his axe to the ground and knelt near Vath. He had problems focusing on the half-troll’s wounds; his vision was blurry.

- You weep for your friend, Baden.

I weep for us all.

Baden cradled Vath’s head in his lap. He pushed aside the half-troll’s lank hair, ran blunt fingers tenderly along the monk’s blistery skin.

Kellus dropped to Baden’s side. The priest, without delay, reached forward and murmured a prayer. Instantly, Vath’s skin turned from gray to green. The half-troll opened his eyes. He had never stopped smiling.

“Vath,” Baden sputtered, “you live. You live.”

“Wondrous…” Vath swiveled his head to one side. “Gods, but that was wondrous.”

“It was an ill deed, done by Men not worthy of the name.”

Raylin rested on one sword, the other forgotten somewhere in the morass of bodies behind him. The ranger stared at the impaled body of Poridel. The sage was a good five feet in the air, upside down, his robes hanging downward and covering his face. He had been beaten – repeatedly – but the clansman saw no death wound.

Kellus murmured a prayer before lapsing into a reverent silence. The party, save for Baden, gathered around the two men. The sun brought no warmth to the Cormick plains.

Raylin spoke to none of them and all of them. “The Church of Cyric – the entire thrice-damned church - will answer for this. By my fathers, they will answer.”

John swallowed. His hands were chaffed and cold from firing bolt after bolt during the melee. For once, the bard appeared speechless. “There are no words…no words…”

“You had damned well better find some.” Baden pushed through the line of his companions and walked to the stake. The dwarf’s rage had returned, his chest heaved with each breath.

Baden reached upward with a gentleness that seemed in stark contrast to his mood. He pulled the stake toward him, grunting with the effort, then hugged Poridel around his hips. The dwarf bent at the knees and pulled. The body – slowly – slid up the pole, leaving a shining trail on the wood in its wake.

Baden stepped back and turned the body upright. A shower of entrails cascaded downward from Poridel’s groin, further staining his robes and the ground. Baden slipped on the blood, fell, and the body of the sage landed heavily in the turf beside him.

Baden angrily shoved away Raylin’s assistance. He stood and dragged the body further from the now-leaning stake, slipping and falling once more.

His companions watched silently.

Baden tenderly laid Poridel on his back, folding the old man’s hands over his chest. Only then did he look up. The pain in his face was raw. “Give me a bolt.”

John licked his lips. “Baden-”

“A bolt, damn you!” The dwarf’s voice split the air.

John nodded quietly, reached into his leg quiver, and handed one of his last quarrels to his companion.

Baden dropped to his knees, took a single breath, and plunged the shaft into Poridel’s chest. The silence was stunning around him.

Finally, after a long, long moment, Baden stood. He stared hard at his companions. “Not all dwarves die in battle, but the songs say they do.”

Baden strode away from the dead sage, but paused next to John. “Poridel was killed in battle. Do you hear me?”

“I hear-”

Baden reached out and gripped a fold of John’s cloak in a gnarled hand. “If you write anything else – anything other than that – I will kill you.”

Only then did the dwarf release his hold, push through his companions, and go to share his grief with none but himself and his god.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads