• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Six From Gate Pass - Chapter 2: The Indomitable Fire Forest of Innenotdar

Adjuntive

First Post
Lars says, "So, how exactly do we get a branch stuck in a stag at the bottom of a lake. Anybody here can breathe water." Lars shudders, "Don't count on me, I can't swim at all. Not many lakes and rivers in Gate Pass, unless you count the sewers."

Alric raises an eyebrow at this. "Forgive me, I was under the impression that the lake was dried up by the fire. If not I daresay I wouldn't be much more useful than a stone. And even that use I'm not anxious to provide. I'm sure Papuvin could tell us the best way there if there is a way."

Gregor

First Post
Torrent raises an eyebrow in confusion at Alric's words. "Hey Hrimr, maybe you should check on our friend over here. He must be so feverish that he is seeing things differently than they really are." She then unstraps her breastplate and tosses down her axe and shield. "No seriously Alric, are you ok? We walked down a river of scalding water which flows into that gigantic ash-covered murky body of water right outside the village. We also just came from that nymph's pool which sits right alongside the lake and probably shares its waters. If the lake was dried up, would Indomitability not be just sitting there in the open, pinned to the lake bed and waving at us to come release him?"

Shaking her head and cracking a smile, she rolls up her sleeves and ties her hair back. "I'm an accomplished swimmer. The church of Istishia and my mentor near the Lyceum in Seaquen made sure I could handle myself in the very essence of my god. I'm happy to dive down and see what we can see, but Hrimr needs to join me and maybe another to help pull the blade? The rest of you can wait on shore to see what happens if you like."

The Bashar

First Post
Hrimr chuckles at Torrent's comments to Alric.

"Yes, Torrent I will be joining you. As a Dwarf I am not the best swimmer, but as a Druid I can become something can swim well. Do you have the Bull's Strength spell memorized? I may need the extra strength to pull the sword.

Someone should warn the Seela about what is going to transpire. Some of them may be willing to join the fight. We need all the help we can get. Torrent let us head down to the lake."

funkmamagoat

First Post
Kirio watches all this with a look of detached amusement. He smiles at the others "I will be remaining here. I know I can replicate the song of forms if needed... I'm not sure what effect it will have on the spirit, but I'll be ready to play if needed..." Kirio finds a comfortable spot, sits, and takes out his flute...

Gregor

First Post
Torrent brings her axe and shield and follows Hrimr down to the shore of the lake. "I have the spell prepared Hrimr, just give the word and I will imbue you with strength. I'll then follow you down into the water and we'll see if we can locate the stag. Kirio, and anyone else not taking a dip, can you cover our return?"

She looks around and sees that some of the villagers have begun to gather and watch the strangers prepare to enter the lake. You can distinctly see Tiljann, Papuvin and Vuhl staring at you with different looks on their faces.

"Someone should probably tell these Seela to stop their song after we release the stag. Hopefully that will convince Indomitability to leave peacefully. I'm ready when you are Hrimr!"

GM: Hrimr, Torrent will cast just before you get into the water so consider yourself under the effects of the Bull's Strength spell (+4 Strength for 3 minutes) as soon as you declare you're in the lake.

The Bashar

First Post
"Cast it on me when I change form. We can then swim down to the bottom and wrench the blade free."

Hrimr then wades into the water until it reaches his shoulders. At this point he dives under the water. After a few minutes he does not surface. Then the head of a man sized squid breaks the surface of the water. One of it's eyes focuses on Torrent and it beckons her over with one of its tentacles. Once the spell is cast he begins to swim out to the middle of the lake.

Gregor

First Post
With a slightly confused look on her face, Torrent slowly follows and then calls upon her god to strengthen the now squid-like Hrimr. Laying a hand on one of his slimy tentacles, she discharges divine energy and then turns back to face the party.

"Remember, when and if that stag crests the surface, try and get those Seela to stop singing. If not, this may get messy ..." She then dives into the murky water along with the sea creature who was once a dwarf.

Torrent, and whoever else has gone into the water, follow behind in Hrimr's wake. From closer to the surface, you can see a glowing diffused red light perhaps 20 feet out and down. After a few feet of holding your breath and swimming down, the murkiness fades and you can see a large stag pinned on its side. The creature is quite large and it looks ancient. Its flesh is flickering with fire that sends up small bursts of steam. A greatsword carved of wood has been driven into the creature’s torso and into the ground, and yet the stag still struggles despite this mortal wound.

The beast raises its head in the dark water and stares at the squid and adventurers swimming towards it. Indomitability's voice bursts into your mind.

"Yes! Come forward! Free me from this prison and set me loose. Draw the sword and let me ascend. This song must end!"

GM: Hrimr, to make this easier and assuming you're intending to try and draw the blade, you can just assume that Torrent and whomever else is down here, is going to move into position and assist you on your strength check. I've rolled for Torrent and she gives you a +2 to your roll. If anyone else is here, they can also try to aid (1d20 + strength modifier vs. DC 10). Each successful aid is another +2 on your roll.

Also, if anyone else has come along, keep in mind you need to make a swim check vs. DC 10 to get down to Indomitability.

Last edited:

Bannock

First Post
Bannock stands and watches from the banks. He rather enjoys seeing Torrent half strip and get soaking wet.

"Have fun you two, I like it just fine where it's dry. Never was much for swimming, even though I bet I can hold my breath longer than any of you!"

fromage67

First Post
Lars prepares his crossbow and hikes out a few hundred feet to a spot on a rock overseeing the lake. Around him the flames continue unabated. He has almost become accustomed to the pulsating heat, and the never ending wind caused by the air convection.

He settles in on his haunches as he watches Hrimr and Torrent with fascination.

The Bashar

First Post
Upon seeing the pinned stag Hrimr swims down to the greatsword and wraps his tentacles around it. When Torrent makes it down to the sword to assist him he begins to pull with all his might.

OOC: Str is 16 with bull's strength so +3 to the roll, +2 from Torrent. If Alric comes as well just add it to my roll.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads