Six From Gate Pass - Chapter 2: The Indomitable Fire Forest of Innenotdar

digimattic

First Post
Arnir addresses Diashan with a smile and a nod, speaking to him in Elvish:

[sblock]I am Arnir of House Bowflight,a and you, cousin, have been asleep for a long time. I would have been just a boy when this all began, but it seems to have nearly destroyed the forest and the Fey that live within. This village is deserted as well. Are you wounded? Do you require anything? [/sblock]

Last edited:

Bannock

First Post
"A single piece...amazing work...mmm.", Bannock mumbles as he admires the black metal glaive.

He straps the new glaive to his pack and joins the others, planning on showing it to Arnir later.

Gregor

First Post
"Forty years!?" exclaims Diashan as he looks from Arnir to Alric, "I...I have no words...I cannot believe that I have been asleep in a shrine for such a period of time." He goes quiet and rests his head in his hands for a while before solemnly continuing. "I remember when the priest found me. I had taken an arrow from one of the defenders of this village and was the only survivor from my squad. In a display of kindness he dragged me back to the shrine and did what he could to spare my life. I remember falling asleep down there .... but how could that have been forty years ago? I have not aged a day!"

He goes quiet again as he searches through his thoughts and then stands up before speaking. "My squad and I were sent here on orders from our King. We were to set the wood of Innenotdar alight and return. With any luck we would remain unseen and hopefully blame would have been assigned to the Empire of Ragesia, given their Emperor's fondness for and frequent use of fire. Then, it should have only been a matter of time before the elves of Innenotdar sided with Shahalesti. Obviously our mission went awry and so did the fires. They raged out of control and soon found ourselves under attack. The fact that Bhurisrava helped me, even though I wore the colours of Shahalesti and he was wise to our part in starting the flames, touched my heart and I knew that I could not serve a King that would order such violence."

Tears begin to run down his cheeks as he struggles through his last thoughts. "To think that some entity came and wore my mistake as its body for the last forty years brings me enough guilt and sadness to drive me insane." He sits back down on the rock and sobs gently. "What foolishness...all those villagers burned alive...never again...never again..."

digimattic

First Post
Arnir shakes his head as Diashan concludes his tale. "No my friend, not burned alive. You see, the very same force which preserved you all these years preserved the forest and its inhabitants even as they burned. 'Burning alive' would thus be more accurate, for they burned these past forty years."

Adjuntive

First Post
Arnir shakes his head as Diashan concludes his tale. "No my friend, not burned alive. You see, the very same force which preserved you all these years preserved the forest and its inhabitants even as they burned. 'Burning alive' would thus be more accurate, for they burned these past forty years."

To all that Diashan says, Alric merely nods his head, his face impassive.

Shahalesti started the fires. File that one away.

"Indeed. You have much to answer for in the next life Diashan. As do those who gave your orders."

Gregor

First Post
Wiping his eyes with the sleeve of his uniform, he regains his composure and says: "Where do you travel to? I have no wish to return to my homeland, and I would not be welcome in Ragesia. Perhaps you could use my skills as a scout and ranger on your journey? It would be good for me to learn what else has changed in the last four decades and in time, I can think on what actions I can take to repent for my sins."

digimattic

First Post
Arnir nods:

"I have no issue with you accompanying us, but I just want to remind everyone that there was something to investigate at the mouth of the river- I'd like to see that."

Bannock

First Post
"An enemy of Ragesia is a friend of mine, and if you're an outcast in Shahalesti too, then it sounds like you should come live in Gate Pass with us when we finish this little errand we lot are on. The real question is: how much can you carry? I'm loaded like a mule!"

Adjuntive

First Post
For a moment Alric makes his suspicion of the Shahalesti ranger evident as he considers Diashan's request. Then he barks a sharp laugh, "Ha! How poetic that an exile from both Ragesia and Shahalesti will cohort in the same party. You're welcome to come as far as I'm concerned ranger but know that to come you leave your allegiance to your King behind, as I have left the allegiance to my emperor behind."

Gregor

First Post
Diashan bows low again, holding the hilts of his blades to prevent them from slipping from their scabbards. With still red eyes he says: "My thanks my new friends. My blades and eyes are yours." He faces Arnir and says: "Ah the mouth of the river is upstream, about 10 or 11 miles. I think I recall there being a waterfall there, but alas I don't remember much beyond that."

Torrent steps forward to join the conversation: "Honestly Arnir, I would rather just get moving out of the woods. But I'll do what the group wants. Anyway, welcome to the party Diashan. Your skills would be greatly valued, for we have much overland travel to do in the next few weeks. We are marching through the Kingdom of Dassen and your wilderness abilities will be a complement to our friend Hrimr here who practices the druidic arts." She sheathes her axe and tightens a few straps on her pack before adding dryly with a wink: "Oh and don't mind Alric. We mostly keep him around because we're waiting for the lump of coal in his butt to turn into a diamond. Then we can all retire in luxury."

Remove ads