Six From Gate Pass - Chapter 2: The Indomitable Fire Forest of Innenotdar

fromage67

First Post
Lars takes a step forward (U23), finishes reloading his crossbow, and squeezes off another shot. Again, he shoots too high, preferring to miss high than to miss low and hit Alric.

Gregor

First Post
Perhaps due to the sight of blood on Bannock's arm or the ongoing battle frenzy, the devil continues to ignore the heavily armored target behind him and plows forward against Bannock. Up close and personal, he drops his glave to the ground which lands with a heavy metallic thud. He then lashes out with both his claws, hoping to rake wounds across Bannock's face. The claws scrape across armor and tendrils on his beard snap out like snakes but bite only at the air. Frustrated, he then takes a 5-ft step to avoid being flanked (R21) and cries out:

"Give me the case damn you! I will hunt you forever!"

Torrent steps forward to meet the devil and draws her axe (S21). She raises it for an overhand chop and brings the blade down like a guillotine on the collarbone of the devil. Blood sprays out despite the creatures natural resistance to regular weapons and he growls in pain.

Last edited:

Bannock

First Post
Bannock lets out a guffaw at the devil's seeming desperation. He's almost delerious with joy, sensing the weakness in his opponent. He shifts back a few feet (R-19), and re-extends to full reach grip on his glaive as he raises it in a backswing, and aims a downward slash to inside of the devil's shoulder.

Gregor

First Post
Bannock, your good-aligned glaive slashes a long deep cut across the devil's torso. The shimmering blue blade shears open his flesh like a surgical tool from shoulder to hip bone. The bearded devil screams in rage and tries to hold his infernal entrails from spilling onto the ground. As he topples over in defeat, a yawning portal emerges just below his body. Dark energies crackle and spit as thick black smoke pours out and the cries of a million tortured souls spew forth. The devil's body is slowly pulled into the hole by an unseen force. You catch glimpses of towers made of bones and fields of humans, monsters and beasts too bizarre to comprehend racked or crucified amidst rivers of magma. The devil's claws scrape on the stone as he futilely tries to avoid being sucked back to Hell.

"You can never kill me, you foolish mortals. You have only bought yourself time. My former masters have set their gaze on you and will not rest until you relinquish that which you have stolen from them."

With a burp and a burst of flames, the portal snaps shut after the devil is retaken. The only sign that he was ever here is his wicked-looking blood-stained glaive which sits on the ground where it was dropped.

As you stand around, catching your breath and checking your wounds, a voice calls out from behind you:

"What layer of the Abyss is this? The forest is savaged and you battle creatures from the lower planes? Are you dead or banished from the material plane as well?"

The speaker is standing near the path to the Elven village and you recognize him as the elven soldier from the Shrine to Anyariel. His old military uniform sits over a suit of well made studded leather armor and he wields a finely crafted longsword in one hand and a sword sword of similar quality in the other.

GM: We are now off initiative.

Last edited:

Bannock

First Post
Bannock stands agape. He honestly did not expect his strike to be so effective. He looks at the faint blue glow on his weapon, and then at Torrent.

"Thanks kindly Torrent, it was your spells did make the difference in this fight."

Flexing, he looks at himself and says, "If only the girls back home could see me now! Hah! Ah, too bad it won't last I suppose."

Ignoring the newcomer, he approaches the departed devil's weapon, and hoists it from the ground, inspecting it closely.

The Bashar

First Post
Hrimr lets the spell he was casting go and turns to the Elf.

"This is still the material plane my friend. There have been some strange happenings in this forest, however. I am Hrimr Cavekeeper, who are you?"

Gregor

First Post
Bannock, the glaive is extremely well made and appears to have been forged from a single piece of metal from end to end. The entire shaft is covered in macabre etchings of savage hellish beasts doing battle, strange designs and curious symbols. The dark black colour of the metal used to make the weapon marks it as something not of this world and despite your attempts to clean it, the blade appears to be permanently stained with blood.

The elven soldier looks wary as he responds to Hrimr: "I feared that I had died of my injuries and was forced to live in a vision of Hell determined by my actions in life. I apologize, I am being rude by not answering your question. I am Diashan Shediell, former scout and soldier of the armies of the Shining Lands of Shahalesti." He sheathes his swords and bows low before looking around him at the state of the woods. "Judging by the state of the trees, I would wager that the fires only raged for the few days that I have been in Innenotdar. Tell me, how did they come to be put out? Do I owe you my thanks for righting my wrong?"

Adjuntive

First Post
Alric sheathes his sword as the elf does so.

"I am called Alric." Alric offers a slight bow to Diashan and tells him of the story of how they encountered the entity, the Seela, and how the entity was freed ending the fires. He omits any mention of the intelligence or their mission to Lyceum and avoids the topic of the fight with the bearded devil. Not masking his suspicion, Alric speaks the questions currently high in his mind, "What is a soldier of Shahalesti doing in Innenotdar? and what do you mean 'righting your wrong'?"

Gregor

First Post
Diashan ponders Alric's tale, scratching his chin as he thinks. "Well met, all of you. However, before I answer your question, I must ask for some clarification. How much time has gone by since this entity you speak of arrived? I've only just awoken from Bhurisrava's ministrations in the shrine at the centre of the village behind me. He ... he did not survive the attacks of someone who must have struck while I lay injured and unconscious. However, he looked exactly like he did when he began treating my wounds. Also, these fires have obviously just gone out. Did all this happen in a matter of days? Where are the villagers? I'm so confused..." He trails off and rubs at his forehead as he sits down on a nearby stone.

Adjuntive

First Post
Alric gives Diashan a flat look. "From what the Seela Tiljann has told us, the forest has been burning for 40 years." With the answering of Diashan's question, he allows him a pause for it to sink in. Though he holds Diashan with his gaze as a silent reminder that he awaits the answering of his questions.

Remove ads