• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Size = Strength-Constitution?

Yaarel

He-Mage
So you are saying that a being should be judged on its appearance.

Pass.
Ideally the classification of a species should be judged on its genetics, but D&D traditions rarely discuss scientific genetics.

But related characteristics of the Hin are all Human.

Unlike Elves where "a wizard" really "did" do "it".

The Hin give the impression of a natural biology, and a Human one. They appear Human in every way.
No they don't. Although they have been depicted very differently throughout the decades because different artists have different preferences and perspectives. I remember multiple art directors trying hard to create body shapes/silhouettes that differentiate the species via skull and skeletal structure so they don't just look like humans. Them wanting elves being more than human with pointed ears, or being able to differentiate between dwarves, gnomes, and halflings at a glance.

"Every way." Right. Then why was everyone frustrated by halfling bobbleheads? Because that was a thing.

Yaarel

He-Mage
lol what?

Man, just a wild heel turn out of you here.
When it comes to reallife Humans, we share the same genes, that is why there is only one species, without any "subspecies".

Things that were big deal to racists, like skin color, turn out to be irrelevant to genetics.

Scribe

Legend
Anyone got the genome mapping for an Orc, asking for a friend.

When it comes to reallife Humans, we share the same genes, that is why there is only one species, without any "subspecies".

Things that were big deal to racists, like skin color, turn out to be irrelevant to genetics.

And yet you are talking about green eyes, fantasy genetics, and erasure of halflings.

Dude, this is a game of make believe fantastical beings.

This is not real.

I am not interested in reducing playable races. At all. I don't care if the reason is "We can make all variations of elves just be one elf." or "We can merge certain races into "Human" because of "real world genetics". We're not talking about real-world genetics. This is a fantasy world without millions of years of genetic evolution. It's a multiverse of magic.

(My past concerns about Half-elves and Half-orcs is pretty much only about the use of the word "Half-" as in "half-breed" which is why I've suggested exploring other names like Elfkin.)

Yaarel

He-Mage
Anyone got the genome mapping for an Orc, asking for a friend.

And yet you are talking about green eyes, fantasy genetics, and erasure of halflings.

Dude, this is a game of make believe fantastical beings.

This is not real.
Your comment isnt paying attention to what my posts stated.

To use "green eyes" as if a characteristic to determine a separate Elf subspecies, is absurd.

D&D Humans and reallife humans are comparable. They are a gamist representation of reallife humans.

When removing the concept of D&D "races" (and their origins from historical racist worldviews), and one instead thinks in terms of "species", it becomes clear, the Hin classify as members of the Human species.

I'd rather that halflings were made more distinct, rather than just turning them into a variation of human.

(Also as far as we can tell from the lore, halflings can't interbreed with humans, which put them as a distinct species despite the cosmetic similarities).

Scribe

Legend
When removing the concept of D&D "races" (and their origins from historical racist worldviews), and one instead thinks in terms of "species", it becomes clear, the Hin classify as the Human species.

There is nothing racist about various fantastical player options called either Races (game object, capital R) or Species (new term, game object, capital S).

If subspecies, can be understood by over 93% of player respondents to be 'not racist' what do you think the percentage of actual player species would be? 98%? 99%?

Are you now going to tell me that simply the existence of player options as distinct biological beings is racist?

Halflings are not Humans.

Biology is not Culture.

You are just making the same mistakes as you have in the last threads.

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Remove ads