• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Size = Strength-Constitution?

Nah I think that size and stats should remain unconnected. If for example you have some giant hollow blimp like creature which has to use wind currents to get around, it might be extremely low Str and Con, but gargantuan in size. Likewise if you have some tiny metal elemental insect like thing which can tear through steel, it might have a higher strength than expected.

I've always taken dnd size to mean physical dimensions, rather than mass. And different creatures with the same dimensions can vary massively in strength and toughness.

aco175

Legend
I do not care for the idea for mostly what others said about a race's size is largely determined by genetics and not be individuals in that group. I would not want to see something where humans get 4 arms if they can get a 24 DEX, even though there was once one human with 4 arms out of 8 billion.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
It would be weird to insist that every Human who has green eyes must be a separate species.

Likewise, it is weird to insist that every Human who is about a meter tall must be separate species.

A D&D Human can be Small and can be Lucky. It is unclear why "Halflling" or Hin would be a separate species, rather than a Human ethnicity such as Illuskan or Mulan.

It is preferable to describe Humans by cultures, rather than skin colors or other superficial traits (like timing of certain pituitary gland functions), yet D&D recognizes that Humans are diverse and form distinctive communities.

It would be weird to insist that every Human who has green eyes must be a separate species.

Likewise, it is weird to insist that every Human who is about a meter tall must be separate species.

A D&D Human can be Small and can be Lucky. It is unclear why "Halflling" or Hin would be a separate species, rather than a Human ethnicity such as Illuskan or Mulan.

It is preferable to describe Humans by cultures, rather than skin colors or other superficial traits (like timing of certain pituitary gland functions), yet D&D recognizes that Humans are diverse and form distinctive communities.
Halflings (or "Hin" in some worlds) have a vibrant history in many worlds, including their own pantheon of actual decent gods compared to every other pantheon. I care not for their erasure in order to appease someone else's mechanical rule preferences.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Halflings (or "Hin" in some worlds) have a vibrant history in many worlds, including their own pantheon of actual decent gods compared to every other pantheon. I care not for their erasure in order to appease someone else's mechanical rule preferences.
Religion is strictly cultural, like languages are, and is the least relevant consideration for if there is a separate species.

Even if the Hin were originally created in a test tube, or a "wizard did it", the Hin themselves appear to be normal biological Humans.

Recognizing an ethnicity, is the opposite of erasing them. This Hin culture is historical. The Hin have an indigenous language, Halfling.

Scribe

Legend

I have no idea what you are describing, but its not D&D species.

Your desire to associate real world ethnic groups and superficial features of actual Humans, with fantastical imaginary D&D player options is perplexing considering some of your other fixations.

Religion is strictly cultural, like languages are, and is the least relevant consideration for if there is a separate species.

Even if the Hin were originally created in a test tube, or a "wizard did it", the Hin themselves appear to be normal biological Humans.

Recognizing an ethnicity, is the opposite of erasing them. This Hin culture is historical. The Hin have an indigenous language, Halfling.

You're inventing things. D&D is a magical multiverse and the gods are literally part of it.

Halflings aren't humans. They've never been biological humans. You keep making things up.

Down with human supremacy.

Last edited:

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I have no idea what you are describing, but its not D&D species.

Your desire to associate real world ethnic groups and superficial features of actual Humans, with fantastical imaginary D&D player options is perplexing considering some of your other fixations.
The desire is to avoid "othering".

To use the term "species" meaningfully.

And to avoid stereotyping.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
You're inventing things. D&D is a magical multiverse and the gods are literally part of it.

Halflings aren't humans. They've never been biological humans. You keep making things up.

Down with human supremacy.
I mentioned the hypothesis that a "wizard did it".

For the Hin, the effect of the magic is a normal Human.

Remove ads