Level Up (A5E) Skill Overlap?

Keto

Villager
Hi there.
I have been wondering if a5e has 'skill stacking' or 'overlap'. I am aware that normal 5e does not have it so you should never pick two same skill proficiencies (where in some cases they state you get doubled proficiency if you already have normal proficiency). So I have been wondering if gaining proficiency in the same skill twice would, instead, let you get an expertise die in one of its skill specialties? If that is the case, I could not find it anywhere yet.

xiphumor

Legend
Hi there.
I have been wondering if a5e has 'skill stacking' or 'overlap'. I am aware that normal 5e does not have it so you should never pick two same skill proficiencies (where in some cases they state you get doubled proficiency if you already have normal proficiency). So I have been wondering if gaining proficiency in the same skill twice would, instead, let you get an expertise die in one of its skill specialties? If that is the case, I could not find it anywhere yet.
AG 25:

“If your character would gain the same proficiency from multiple areas, such as a heritage or cultural trait or class feature, they may instead choose a new proficiency of the same type (skill or tool).”

noodohs

Explorer
AG 25:

“If your character would gain the same proficiency from multiple areas, such as a heritage or cultural trait or class feature, they may instead choose a new proficiency of the same type (skill or tool).”
I believe that is just at character creation. Not saying that's a problem or anything, just something to keep in mind.

Selganor

Adventurer
How many skills do you get after character generation?
There's multiclassing (although you can usually choose the skill you get), some Warlock invocations grant skills and the Skillful feat (has anyone ever took this?) which should be the main ones.

xiphumor

Legend
There's multiclassing (although you can usually choose the skill you get), some Warlock invocations grant skills and the Skillful feat (has anyone ever took this?) which should be the main ones.
If you’re a rogue you can pick up a few, plus a number of archetypes.

Keto

Villager
AG 25:

Oh, thank you for pointing it out for me. This is good to know. :)

Well, in principle you could always be trained, although RAW it only applies to languages, tools and weapons, not skills. I'd house rule it so that any proficiency could be learned (maybe except for saves).

Tessarael

Explorer
Well, in principle you could always be trained, although RAW it only applies to languages, tools and weapons, not skills. I'd house rule it so that any proficiency could be learned (maybe except for saves).
I'm much more inclined to permit skills to be retrained, per the "Relearning" section on page 432: "The time required is 1 week to change a feature gained at 1st-5th level" for class features.

Remove ads