• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Skills and Ability Checks -- Perspective on Consistency vs DM Empowerment

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It's literally just saying yes instead of impossible more often and lowering required DC's. There's virtually no difference between giving a +5 bonus vs changing a DC from 15 to 10.
Yup not caring at all about parity between what one flavor of character can accomplish and another is easy as pie --> that is not what I am asking for. So you telling me I don't need or should not have system or am impaired for what I want is pompous arrogance. Yup garthanos cannot even imagine his own heroic awesome has to be handed to him by the game designers shed a tear will you guys. All he has to do is tweak the numbers it will work perfect

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Was he firing arrows every 1.6 seconds while he did it? 😜
No he was going through an obstacle course though

The guys who did the really fast archery were leather wearing plains dwellers but the guy doing 3 arrows in under 2 seconds was doing acrobatic flips and spins so there is that it was a form ameniable to combat

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The guys who did the really fast archery were leather wearing plains dwellers but the guy doing 3 arrows in under 2 seconds was doing acrobatic flips and spins so there is that it was a form ameniable to combat
And what was the draw weight on these bows? Surely not the 150 pounds of an English warbow.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
And what was the draw weight on these bows? Surely not the 150 pounds of an English warbow.
No as I said earlier more like that used by Native Americans I do not remember the numbers and it was a half draw he was holding the arrows in the bow hands there is a lot of artwork portraying the arrows in the hand with the bow and Lars figured out it was actually practical for a style of archery,
Lars thinks if he was doing it his whole life like some of the people in the drawings and legends he could do it with a heavier bow too.

The ranger ability in 5e is an astonishing one that exceeds parameters very legendary

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Spells are consistent among tables fighting is as always in D&D consistent among tables apparently attribute checks are not important enough to a game of D&D to to be consistent among tables.

Actually, I think you don't have that quite right. Attribute checks are important to 5e, but it is also important that they be flexible between different tables. I think it was one area that they found (through the playtest experimentation and other feedback) that groups didn't want or need that kind of specificity.

That is, I agree that spells and the combat system are consistent in a way that ability checks aren't....I just don't think that WotC sees that as a problem. (And given sales....you'll have a hard time convincing them otherwise.)

Now, personally, it isn't much a problem for me. Heck, my favorite magic system/game is Fate with using magic as just basically a flavor element for accomplishing the same skills anyone else has. But then, Fate has the advantage of more unified mechanics for...well, everything.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Actually, I think you don't have that quite right. Attribute checks are important to 5e, but it is also important that they be flexible between different tables.
LOL magic isnt important to be flexible this is the part of the system that people first house ruled back in the day... nailed down like a trap its very hard to make ones own game world in face of the D&D spell casters.

No I think if you assume they will really accomplish next to nothing (aside from murder skills and spell casting improvement) that you dont assume already at low levels you are closer to the truth.Bounded accuracy keeps obstacles in scope upwards and downwards too.

The other incidentals will likely say incidental, the fact that the fighter cannot even match Olympic jumping distance without DM intervention...and can probably get to 20str early which is cool but if things are wired down and forced to stay realistic another 2.5 feet on your standing broad jump isnt going to make the character feel more awesome. Yeah not really

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Now, personally, it isn't much a problem for me. Heck, my favorite magic system/game is Fate with using magic as just basically a flavor element for accomplishing the same skills anyone else has. But then, Fate has the advantage of more unified mechanics for...well, everything.
Lets just say that unified mechanics make what I am asking for already done.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Actually, I think you don't have that quite right. Attribute checks are important to 5e, but it is also important that they be flexible between different tables.
Got to make sure those uppity non casters cannot accomplish anything extreme at one table and are able to blow spell casting away at another? Oh wait casters get the skills too guess they can only blow them away if the DM allows caster style skills to do next to nothing valuable and really pump the volumn on the others. Like the guy who says no knowledge skills in combat.

Remove ads