• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Slaad-a-palooza!

Ferret

Explorer
We need a Rainbow Slaad, with hypnotic gaze attack and halucogenic (sp?) touch attack. I was also thinking of a semi-benign Beige Slaad, of medium size.

[edit; Very good slaadi so far. I like the indigo, coral and yellow slaad most.

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Well, I will be doing a prismatic slaad sometime in the near future. Your suggestions for a rainbow slaad's abilities will certainly be considered.
Notice: I have been, and will continue to be, revising the flavor-text on some of the slaadi. Just in case you were curious.

Stone Slaad
Small Outsider (Chaos, Earth, Extraplanar)

Hit Dice: 5d8+20 (42 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20ft (4 squares)
Armor Class: 21 (+1 size, +10 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 21
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+5
Attack: Bite +10 melee (1d10+4)
Full Attack: Bite +10 melee (1d10+4), 2 slams +8 melee (1d6+2)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Earth mastery
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft, earth glide, fast healing 1, immunity to sonic, resistance to acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5 and fire 5
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +4
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 5, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills: Climb +12, Intimidate +7, Listen +8, Spot +8
Feats: Improved Bull’s Rush (B), Multiattack, Power Attack
Environment: Ever-Changing Chaos of Limbo
Organization: Solitary, pair or mob (3-7)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: Half standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral
Advancement: 6-10 HD (Small), 11-15 HD (Medium-size)

This stocky humanoid toad stands about a head shorter than a dwarf but is very broad and dense. It appears to be made of thick stone, and it moves at a very deliberate pace. Its fists swell with strength, and its gemlike teeth are the size of daggers.
Stone slaadi are probably the most common of the elemental slaadi types. Extremely ponderous, they rely on their brute strength to survive. They live on and in the miniature planets which swirl through Limbo, but are also attracted to more permanent structures and earth clots. They are considered pests by the githzerai, as they have the habit of living in the walls of monasteries and feeding on novice students. Minor slaad lords use earth slaadi as cannon fodder, as they are numerous and easier to control than red or blue slaadi.

Stone slaadi speak a very slow, very broken form of Slaadi.

Combat
A stone slaad in combat is an implacable foe- they simply do not understand the concept of surrender or retreat. They like to literally push foes around, shoving them off of their islands or into wells of fire.

Earth Glide (Ex): A stone slaad can move at its normal speed through stone, dirt and any non-metal form of earth like a fish swims through water. Its burrowing leaves no tunnel or hole, nor does it create a ripple or any other signs of its presence. A move earth spell cast on an area containing a burrowing stone slaad flings the creature back 30 feet, stunning the creature for one round unless it succeeds a DC 15 Fortitude save.

Earth Mastery (Ex): A stone slaad gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls if both it and its foe are touching the ground. If an opponent is airborne or waterborne, it takes a –4 penalty on attack and damage rolls. These modifiers are not included in the statistics block.

Demiurge out.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Well, las, I'm focusing slaadi on colors (as they have been in previous editions) and elements (as Limbo is the plane of the awry element). Blood is, sadly, neither. It really doesn't fit thematically. If somebody else did it, more power to them, but I probably won't.

Demiurge out.

las

First Post
Well its could always be a blood red Slaad you know thats a color (I should know what colors there are). Or crimson slaad or some such.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Maybe, las, maybe. Although there is a red slaad, and I'd like to avoid doubling up.

Wind Slaad
Small Outsider (Air, Chaos, Extraplanar)

Hit Dice: 5d8+10 (32 hp)
Initiative: +10
Speed: Fly 100ft (perfect) (20 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (+1 size, +6 Dexterity, +3 natural), touch 17, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+1
Attack: Bite +12 melee (1d6)
Full Attack: Bite +12 melee (1d6)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Air mastery
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft, elemental durability, fast healing 1, immunity to sonic, resistance to acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5 and fire 5
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +10, Will +4
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 22, Con 15, Int 5, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Escape Artist +14, Hide +18, Listen +8, Move Silently +12, Spot +8
Feats: Flyby Attack (B), Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse
Environment: Ever-Changing Chaos of Limbo
Organization: Solitary, pair or mob (3-7)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: Half standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral
Advancement: 6-10 HD (Small), 11-15 HD (Medium-size)

This bizarre creature looks more like a horizontal column of air than a living thing, but its toad-like head with tiny, needle-like teeth belay it as a monster. The thing tapers into nothingness after about three feet. It changes colors rapidly as it moves, and the scent of cut grass and burning hair follows it as it moves.

Wind slaadi are the closest to a “pure” elemental that the elemental slaadi get, as it is little more than a puff of fanged air. They roam the perpetual skies of Limbo, darting through even the tightest obstructions with ease. They are savage creatures, often attacking travelers for no reason at all, and then streaking off into the plane before the creature becomes aware of its injuries.

Wind slaadi speak Slaadi in a hollow, whistling monotone, but it is exceedingly difficult to pin them down long enough to hold a conversation.

Combat
Wind slaadi, if they actually decide to stay in a combat or if pursued, dash about madly, never staying in one place for any length of time. If seriously injured, they will use their ridiculous speed to fly away, recover from its wounds, and gather allies for a little bloodletting.

Air Mastery (Ex): Airborne creatures take a –1 penalty to all attack and damage rolls made against a wind slaadi.

Elemental Durability (Ex): Wind slaadi are without anatomy and almost without mass, and so are as difficult as an air elemental to injure. They are immune to poisons, stunning, sleep effects and paralysis. They also are incapable of being sneak attacked, flanked or critically hit.

Demiurge out.

Ferret

Explorer
I might try doing the Beige Slaadi soon; are there any constants I need to keep in mind or is each slaad a new monster?

Oh I like those new ones, is the Stone Slaadi the earth element one? Or a free bonus :)

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
The stone slaadi is the earth elemental one, yes. And each slaadi is pretty independent, save for their slaadi traits, Ferret.

Demiurge out.

Feathercircle

First Post
Blood actually IS an element, at least in Ravenloft.

Hmmm... that gives me an idea. I claim first dibs on blood, grave, pyre, and mist slaadi! Ravenloft slaadi- this could be fun....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads