Critical Role Slate feature on Matt Mercer

jgsugden

Legend
...But everything I've read said that the game is not scripted, the players respond in the moment as they think their PC would, etc..
While they do not discuss it, there are a few clear examples where certain players, Sam in particular, has made a decision primarily for audience entertainment purposes. The start of this last week seems to show some of the out of character motivations at work. It isn't totally pure rpg, but close enough.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Right, but in improv, you practice "bits" and you work with your fellow actors in order to be able to pull off "improv" seamlessly. I am sure that the players take time to work with one another regarding their characters, talking about how they should interact and what they might do when X or Y happens.

The point is that they are entertainers working on a professional show. That doesn't mean they can't enjoy themselves, and it doesn't mean they aren't also playing the RPG. But they are also acting the whole time, and it is not like a "home game."
I mean, what you describe sounds like a home game to me...?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
So people that are in improv theater can never play a game?
Playin' fast and loose with the absolutes, aren't you? We both know that's not what I'm talking about.

A lot of people in this thread are talking about different styles of acting, and the way that actors prepare for performances, and how they perform to their audiences, etc. And among them, it's pretty easy to spot the people with a theater background.

Oofta

Legend
While they do not discuss it, there are a few clear examples where certain players, Sam in particular, has made a decision primarily for audience entertainment purposes. The start of this last week seems to show some of the out of character motivations at work. It isn't totally pure rpg, but close enough.

I make decisions for my audience when role playing all the time. Admittedly my audience is 4-6 other people not millions, I just don't see it changing the nature of the game.

The only time it seems to affect them is when they do live shows, in which case it's pretty obvious they're reacting differently at least some of the times. But there's a huge difference between a live audience and a camera.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Plus, not all of us have the viewpoint that making decisions based purely on character immersion is the goal of a particular RPG session. I make plenty of decisions for characters that are focused on generating story beats or interesting interactions, and rationalizing the actions as deriving from intrinsic character motivations is secondary at best.

Oofta

Legend
Playin' fast and loose with the absolutes, aren't you? We both know that's not what I'm talking about.
No, apparently I don't know what you're talking about.
A lot of people in this thread are talking about different styles of acting, and the way that actors prepare for performances, and how they perform to their audiences, etc. And among them, it's pretty easy to spot the people with a theater background.
Have I said otherwise? For that matter, I disagree that it has all that much to do with a theater background per se, some people are just more drawn to entertaining others as part of the enjoyment of the game.

Reynard

Legend
You've never done that? Had discussions out of game sessions either with other players or the DM? Maybe I'm just weird because that kind of stuff happens on a pretty regular basis for me.

Nobody is saying they aren't amazing at bringing their PCs to life. But they've said repeatedly that nothing is scripted, it's not preplanned, they don't discuss story arcs ahead of time. We all agree they're actors. So? They're talented actors playing a game.

I mean, what you describe sounds like a home game to me...?

"We need to make this as authentic as possible," said the head chef at Olive Garden.

Yes, that is huperbole, but my point is this is still a product. And, frankly, i can't figure out why some people get really concerned over whether it is regarded as anything but an absolutely authentic play experience just like you had in your basement last week. Who cares whether Matt and Friends are "really" playing D&D if the result is the same?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
"We need to make this as authentic as possible," said the head chef at Olive Garden.

Yes, that is huperbole, but my point is this is still a product. And, frankly, i can't figure out why some people get really concerned over whether it is regarded as anything but an absolutely authentic play experience just like you had in your basement last week. Who cares whether Matt and Friends are "really" playing D&D if the result is the same?
Have you watched the show...? I am guessing, "no."

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
No, apparently I don't know what you're talking about.

Have I said otherwise? For that matter, I disagree that it has all that much to do with a theater background per se, some people are just more drawn to entertaining others as part of the enjoyment of the game.
"Never" is an absolute. Like "always," "everyone," and "impossible." It just seemed to come out of nowhere, that's all.

When I wrote that line about theater background, I wasn't trying to target you or anyone else. I was just making the observation that some people in this thread clearly have a theater background, and some clearly don't. I think it's interesting, that's all. I think a theater background is just as likely to affect someone's appreciation for Critical Role as their D&D background is.

Oofta

Legend

Because they've stated repeatedly that the show is not scripted, they don't have pre-planned beats, the players don't know what's coming, that they're just playing D&D and trying to entertain each other, that the game itself is a continuation of their home game.

Saying they aren't doing that is calling them liars. 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads