• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sleeping in armor?

davidnoal

First Post
Does 4e have rules for sleeping in armor? If not, what do you all do?

No.

Just. No.

You can keep it on, you just won't sleep well at all. (ie: no benefit from the rest.)

Imagine trying to sleep in full hockey gear. Most armor is less comfortable than that.

Now, D&D 4e calls "cloth" armor, "armor", but really it's just clothes. Cloth is OK. Everything else is too rigid, bulky, or uncomfortable to lay in.

Tale

First Post
4e has no rules for sleeping in armor, it's A-ok. It would just be a pointless screw to ambush people who needed it when they weren't able to wear it.

CapnZapp

Legend
Now, D&D 4e calls "cloth" armor, "armor", but really it's just clothes. Cloth is OK. Everything else is too rigid, bulky, or uncomfortable to lay in.
Then I wouldn't want to play anything but a wizard in your campaign. Classes are balanced with the assumption they're actually wearing the heaviest armor they can use.

Saying fighters must fight all night ambushes in their PJs is a terrible nerf to that class.

D&D isn't reality. In a world where you can conjure up a fireball, it is equally possible your plate armor can accommodate sleep.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Nope, there are no penalties to resting while in heavy armor in 4e. The 3e 'chain shirt nightie' is gone. You can sleep in heavy armor - consider it part of being proficient in armor if you like.

CapnZapp

Legend
Does 4e have rules for sleeping in armor? If not, what do you all do?
There is a rule saying suiting up or down takes five minutes (a short rest). There are no actual penalties for sleeping in your armor.

(Actually, the book doesn't discuss it at all, but that still doesn't mean there's supposed to be any penalties.)

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
Then I wouldn't want to play anything but a wizard in your campaign. Classes are balanced with the assumption they're actually wearing the heaviest armor they can use.

Saying fighters must fight all night ambushes in their PJs is a terrible nerf to that class.

D&D isn't reality. In a world where you can conjure up a fireball, it is equally possible your plate armor can accommodate sleep.

Encounters indeed are BALANCED based on the thought that heavily armored characters will be wearing their armor, so be aware of that!

On the other hand, if you keep an eye on the effects this will have, by all means run encounters where the party isn't totally suited up for it. Just really, really be aware of the consequences (maybe have the encounter be a bit less challenging in Level so the deficiency is offset a little?)

If you have whiny players, don't do it all. If they are okay with it, House Rule that anything over light armor probably shouldn't be "sleepy time wearable".

But yeah, as far as I know, there's nothing RAW saying there's an issue with sleeping in armor. There's also nothing RAW dealing with not sleeping for 2 weeks straight, so take from that what you will (i.e., DMs need to make some stuff up...the books don't have all the answers).

Syrsuro

First Post
First: Do your players want this level of realism? Some do and some don't.

Assuming that they do, I would take one of the following two approaches:

1) Endurance check - if failed the character sleeping in armor loses one healing surge from the new days total.

2) In the spirit of changing penalties into bonuses (a common 4E approach) create a house rule that states that any character who does not sleep in armor gets a bonus of one healing surge the next day (yes, this gives the wizards an extra healing surge for nothing but I don't think that will break anything).

Or both.

Carl

Remove ads