• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sleet Storm vs. Magic Flames

Sleet Storm says "exposed flames in the area are doused". Does this only affect normal fire like from a torch or does that also make it impossible to use any kind of fire spell inside?

jasper

Rotten DM
Since the spell does not include word to the effect "including magic flames" I would say magic fire is possible.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I would say magical fire is possible. However, as most magical fire spells are "instantaneous" I'm not sure how much opportunity to use them in/during a Sleet Storm one would be.

Also, [not in front of my books] I think Sleet Storm makes everything difficult terrain? Doesn't that require some sort of special casting check? And it hinders visibility, so what are you casting at?

I would rule, probably that a fireball, for example, going off in a sleet storm area after the storm is passed/over, could clear/melt the area and eliminate the "difficult terrain." But casting one, while the sleet storm is ongoing...I don't know...everyone gets soaked by a harmless deluge of cold water?

I'd say in the case of Burning Hands, assuming it still sets flammable materials alight, would still be ineffective, as the fire burning are just normal fires. The MAGIC fire is the Burning Hands itself. Whatever it sets on fire is then just normal burning fire and would be washed/snubbed out by the Sleet Storm.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I don't think sleet storm would prevent an instantaneous effect like fireball. I might let it put out an ongoing magical flame like wall of fire or flaming sphere though.

Barolo

First Post
To me, the intention is to douse burning flames, so I think it should not interact with instantaneous destructive effects like fire bolt, or fireball at all. On the other hand, I would definitely let it interact with control flames, from EE Players Companion, as the spell manipulates a flame from a non-magical origin, and sleet storm would be just cutting off the natural flame feeding the spell.

For other, lasting effects, I think it is a DM call, as it is not written the spell is not supposed to interact with magical flames either. I would easily go with the idea of letting it douse cantrips, such as create bonfire (also from EEPC) or produce flame, and might be inclined to allow it to finish off spells of lower levels than itself, as flame blade or flaming sphere. But I don't think it would be a good idea to let if affect wall of fire, for instance.

Li Shenron

Legend
Sleet Storm says "exposed flames in the area are doused". Does this only affect normal fire like from a torch or does that also make it impossible to use any kind of fire spell inside?

I am pretty sure this would not be the RAI.

If you want to deviate from it, a fairly safe house rule could be to let Sleet Storm diminish the effects of any persistent fire spell of level lower than the one Sleet Storm is cast.

Draegn

Explorer
Minimally as a house rule you could compare which slots were used and reduce each spell accordingly. A slot 3 sleet storm versus a slot 5 fireball results in the sleet storm being "cancelled out" and a slot 2 fireball.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Minimally as a house rule you could compare which slots were used and reduce each spell accordingly. A slot 3 sleet storm versus a slot 5 fireball results in the sleet storm being "cancelled out" and a slot 2 fireball.

I wouldn't have said there is such a thing as a slot 2 fireball?

There isn't really a 'magical flame' definition beyond fire originating from a spell. There's fire damage, but that is independent of originating from a spell or not. A fireball and a torch both do fire damage. I'd think Sleet Storm would extinguish flames from a magical effect but not suppress the effect itself. Incendiary Cloud lasts for a minute but is an 8th level spell - I would say that Sleet Storm would suppress items bursting into flames but would not moderate the fire damage that spell does itself. Likewise a fire elemental would not be extinguished though the combustion it causes on successful hits would be.

Remove ads