• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Smackdown? Orc Barbarian?

Vander

First Post
I am beginning to play an Orc Barbarian. For my second level I took Fighter, so 1/1 currently. S 22, D 15, C18, I 9, W 8, Ch 7

The campaign i play in is extremely combat oriented, so i was hoping for some fresh ideas on a what Feats and class combinations to take.

I already have Power Attack and Cleave, and, when i go up to 2nd Figher, will get 2 more. Right now he uses a Heavy Pick and Scythe, but a Greataxe and Greatclub are possibilities.

I am planning on him being a sort of Genghis Khan-type warrior, planning on large scale ideas later. Any ideas, Smackdown style?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I am planning on him being a sort of Genghis Khan-type warrior, planning on large scale ideas later. Any ideas, Smackdown style?

Well, at 6th, you'll definitely want to take Leadership.

Even with a leadership score of 25+, you're still limited to about 160 followers, though, so I'm not quite sure where you'll acquire a Mongol Horde from...

-Hyp.

Vander

First Post
Too bad I cant use the 1E Barbarian Horde idea. XP divided by 1000. Could be quite a lot. I'll have to check out Dragon #283. Any cool Feat and/or Class combos to make him a "combat juggernaut"?

Crothian

First Post
Vander said:
Too bad I cant use the 1E Barbarian Horde idea. XP divided by 1000. Could be quite a lot. I'll have to check out Dragon #283. Any cool Feat and/or Class combos to make him a "combat juggernaut"?

Orask fighting style. What is this you ask? Glad you asked. It a fighting style found in The Quintessential Fighter from Mongoose Books. It's a great fighting style and a great book.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Too bad I cant use the 1E Barbarian Horde idea. XP divided by 1000. Could be quite a lot.

Not as many as it used to be :)

A 20th level character in 3E has 190,000 XP.

That made a 7th level barbarian in 1E... not even enough to summon the Horde!

-Hyp.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Well, an ork with a STR of 22 at level 2... It seems you are already maxed and then some!

Genghis Khan: I'm not sure what you mean.

You means as a warleader? Your CHA score is 7...

You means as a mounted archer, the famous mongol method to world domination? You have a STR of 22 so I doubt you really want to be a mounted archer, it would be a waste of your greatest asset.

Advice: You might try going the spring attack way. The main weakness of the barbarian is that at the same time they dish out tons of damage, they get hurt badly too. They rarely use shield in favor for 2-handed weapon, they use light armor to move swiftly, DEX is rarely their primary stats and they get -2 to AC while raging. That means a low AC.

Dodge helps a little, mobility protects against AoO (and the barbarians provoke a lot of theses) and spring attack allows you to get in close combat with a giant without getting an AoO. All in all it's pretty good.

eXodus

Explorer
how did you manage a 22 strength at 2nd level?

but my advise is as such. if you are so damned big, burly and strong focus on weapons that take advantage of this. use two handed weapons for the 1.5 strength damage bonus. get weapon focus in it. specialize in it. get improved critical in it.

you will have loads of hit points, a weapon that hurts a lot. that is the strategy you should use.

eXodus

Explorer
i would also suggest get really used to being the butt of jokes for being dumb and ugly.

and get really used to being charmed, dominated, and being forced to slaughter your party members. that low wisdom of yours is going to hurt something fierce.

also the low intelligence will limit you to some of the cool feats like expertise and all that comes from it.

a character like yours is going to be stuck with cleave and other 'hulk smash' kind of feat chains.

opps. he said ORC not 1/2 orc. opps.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads