• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Smackdown? Orc Barbarian?

Darklone

Phew

Had a similar char in my group. Halforc though ... (20 str and no light sensitivity)

You get used to being blinded ? Does your DM use a flash like spell :)? (Relics&Rituals)

Well ... our lvl5 barbarian halforc got bashed by a lvl6 WARRIOR. Human warrior got expertise, dodge, exotic weapon prof bastard sword... had skill focus tumble... improved disarm ... plus heavy armour and large shield.

He boosted his AC to impossible heights (without magic) and waited till the rage went off. Bye bye halforc. Ah ... and he hit him quite well. Even with all those penalties... two attacks are fine. And bastard sword rocks. And don't ask about Improved disarm :)))

You may call me unfair that I put a lvl6 warrior against a lvl 5 barbarian ... But next time I give him a lvl5 fighter :)

Rackhir

Explorer
If you had the int to take Expertise (there are magic items to boost Int), Weapon Master (S&F) is a great class to aim for if you are looking for going the smackdown route. The have a whole bunch of really nifty features for that sort of thing, such as Ki Whirlwind, where you can do a whirlwind attack as a standard (not full) attack action. They also have a whole bunch of feats for increasing your crit damage. The downside, is that it requires a ton of feats (6) to qualify.

Master Samurai would also be a good combat choice, but somehow it doesn't sound like it would be a good match to this sort of character. However it is a better match in terms of feat selection (and stats), but power attack and cleave work very well with the whirlwind attack feat chain you'd need for the Weapon Master. Most of the extreme fighter smackdowns involve some sort of cleave/whirlwind attack combos.

For weapons, you want something with a wide crit range (at least 19-20) to get the maximum benefit out of Keen and Improved crit. That's one of the reasons why Greatsword is a classic for barbarians. There is also a "Power Crit" feat that will be in "Masters of the Wild", odds are that it is to improve your crit multiplier (ie. to go from a x2 to x3 crit). Actually, it looks like there will be a lot of cool feats in MotW and you are well placed to take advantage of them.

When you get your weapon enchanted, make sure to go with a "Burst" weapon, the extra D10s of damage dovetail nicely with the enhanced crit range and crit mods. Particularly if you stay with some of the x4 crit weapons, you'll be getting +3d10 on crits.

A couple of levels in Rogue are also quite useful both for the skill points and the sneak attack damage + evasion abilities.

Last edited:

Zhure

First Post
Half-orcs and Orcs can qualify for Tribal Protector. Wild Fighting at second level allows them the use a Flurry of Blows like ability with any weapon. Coupled with that 22 STR and a greatsword, thats a bucket of damage.

Greg

Orco42

First Post
My current character is an orc Barb 1/Fighter 5. My stats are nearly identical (str 25, dex 16, con 16, int, wis,& chr 6).

I use a 2 hander (Focus & Spec), and picked up power lunge for great charge damage. Have great cleave and I also use a bunch of orchish shotputs.

For magic items get items of STR ASAP 2 handed damage is great with a high STR.

You really should get used to being made fun of.

Of course my character is...uh unique. He worships Corellon Larethian, thinks he is an elf, and is named Eleanor.

Forrester

First Post
With that intelligence, wisdom, and charisma, you should pretty much give up on leading any Hordes, my good man. Your leadership skills suck -- even for an *orc*.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Screw Kord - go for Blessed of Gruumsh.

Thunderous Roar of Gruumsh
At 8th level, Once per day, the blessed of Gruumsh can double the number of attacks he makes in a given round while he bellows an incredible roar. if a character normally attacks with his orc double axe at +16/+11/+6 with an off-hand attack at +16, he instead makes six attacks at +16/+16/+11/+11/+6/+6 and two off-hand attacks at +16 each. The blessed of Gruumsh must be able to roar for this to work-it will not work within the area affected by a silence spell, for example. This is an extraordinary ability.

--Shivering Spikey

Krystoff

First Post
Quintessential Smackdown

From what I could tell from reading the Quintessential Fighters handbook there are a couple of things in there that could be extremely nasty.

First, use a 2 handed greatsword for this to work.

At 7th level pick up the Prestige Class - Living Blade. If I remember correctly (Dont have the book in front of me) the Pre-Reqs are +7 BAB, Weapon Focus (Slashing Weapon), Weapon Spec(Slashing Weapon)

The third level ability of the PC is that you are able to take away an opponents lowest BAB attack if you are in melee with them as long as you give up your lowest BAB attack. The fifth level ability is that you get an extra attack at your lowest BAB.

Then, as Crothian suggested, pick up the fighting style of Orask. This basically costs nothing except finding a master and having them teach you for a couple weeks. There are Pre-Reqs for each of the different levels though (5 in all). Basically here you have to concentrate on any two-handed weapon. Since you have the 2 handed greatsword your in like flint. The rest of the Pre-Reqs are feats any fighter should have anyways. Stuff like Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Combat Reflexes.

The nice thing about this fighting style is that with the 4th rank, it says you can make an immediatte Attack of Opportunity against anyone that has damaged you in melee combat. The other ranks give you cool stuff as well but not as cool as that. Plus there are several other Feats that just make fighters disgustingly bad melee fighters.

Pick up the book (If your DM allows it) They made fighters into amazing combat monsters even though they were already.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads