Smaug: Wyvern or Dragon?

Is Smaug a wyvern (2 legs) or dragon (4 legs)?

• Two legs (wyvern)

• Four legs (dragon)

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
The world serpent is usually depicted as having none. The others, the source material does not say. I don't think any of them fly.
So basically, all these dragons myths were probably a bunch of drunks roaming the countryside and running up on a somewhat large snake. The ancient equivalent of:

1681862724042.jpeg

Dausuul

Legend
I could have sworn I'd read somewhere that the original dragons created by Morgoth had no wings.
You are correct. Per the Silmarillion, dragons appeared during the First Age and played a significant part in the war of the Elves and Morgoth (Glaurung in particular caused a lot of tragedy); but winged dragons were not seen until the very end of War of Wrath, when Morgoth unleashed them in the final defense of Thangorodrim.

I was always sad that Ancalagon (the leader of the winged dragons) got so little play. Glaurung was a splendid villain with a catalogue of dastardly deeds, but Ancalagon barely got a mention before Earendil and a bunch of eagles dogpiled him.

SJB

Explorer
The Beowulf poet is oddly silent on the leg issue. The dragon is specified as having wings. Which rather brings us back to Tolkien’s point; if one of the greatest poets in world history failed to mention something, it was probably because they regarded it as insignificant not because they lacked the necessary language or imagination.

We’re interested in D&D, but most of the world doesn’t know who Gary Gygax was, much less care what he thought about anything.

So a dragon can have as many legs as one desires.

Couple of thoughts on Fafnir -

• potentially, it's the same dragon as in beowulf, the myths may have a common origin;
  • The name translates from Old Norse as "the embracer" - this suggests something like a constrictor snake;
  • Fafnir was transformed into a dragon as the result of a curse. This suggests crawling on all fours like a lizard, when you consider oral storytelling techniques.

Remove ads