D&D 5E Snow-Sweeping/Clearing Cantrip

rgoodbb

Adventurer
A 1st level druid for RotFM starting in a snow-sweeping job, keeping the paths clear either between ten-towns or within one of them.

Which one of the elemental cantrips seems the most appropriate to accomplish this to you?

Mold Earth (would snow count)

Shape Water?

Control Flames (+ fire source)

Gust??

jasper

Rotten DM
A 1st level druid for RotFM starting in a snow-sweeping job, keeping the paths clear either between ten-towns or within one of them.

Which one of the elemental cantrips seems the most appropriate to accomplish this to you?

Mold Earth (would snow count)

Shape Water?

Control Flames (+ fire source)

Gust??
I ran Rime and allow Mold Earth to work. Shape water would work too.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I agree with the one who sets off airport metal detectors.

Of the options presented, Shape Water.

That said, as a GM, I might just ask for an Arcana check (or Nature because Druid?) and allow a simple effect to sweep the snow aside. It'd be a pretty simple check, and you'd need concentration to maintain it as you wandered the street.

I would also not play it out unless something is coming...

But why a check?

What is the consequence of failure? Is it interesting? Is it fun?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I'd treat snow as a Wall of Ice and fire works on a Wall of Ice thus "The wall is an object that can be damaged and thus breached. It has AC 12 and 30 hit points per 10-foot section, and it is vulnerable to fire damage. Reducing a 10-foot section of wall to 0 hit points destroys it and leaves behind a sheet of frigid air in the space the wall occupied"

Prestidigitation also works

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
I'd go with Shape Water, specifically this application:

• You cause the water to form into simple shapes and animate at your direction. This change lasts for 1 hour.

You could cause the snow to compact and form into a simple snow-shovel shape, which will go around shovelling more snow for you for the next hour. You can have two of those working at the same time.

Oofta

Legend
I'd go with Shape Water, specifically this application:

• You cause the water to form into simple shapes and animate at your direction. This change lasts for 1 hour.

You could cause the snow to compact and form into a simple snow-shovel shape, which will go around shovelling more snow for you for the next hour. You can have two of those working at the same time.

That would make building a snowman much easier. :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think allowing Shape Water to manipulate snow and ice directly is setting a precedent that might have unforeseen consequences.

I think Gust would be the best fit. Freshly fallen snow I think is like up to 10 lbs per cubic foot - so you move half a cubic foot per casting. A path 30' long, 3 feet wide, and 6" deep would take about 10 minutes to clear.

Longspeak

Adventurer
But why a check?

What is the consequence of failure? Is it interesting? Is it fun?
I always call for a check for any non-standard use of magic. Especially used to shortcut something you could just do manually. If it's not a spell or power, but still magic, it's a skill check, with a DC commensurate to the goal. Ditto for a spell where you're trying to a related but not RAW outcome.

And yes, failure can be interesting.

For ex, snow-sweeping. Success uses your magic or a variation of shape water to neatly push aside snow, with you COULD have just done with a shovel. Failure perhaps creates a small snow devil and scatted snow on passersby, much to you chagrin and their annoyance.

Or you can just use a shovel.

I use lower DCs and decent skills will usually just beat the check with a bonus if you keep it simple.

Remove ads