D&D 5E So, 5e OGL

Is there something about the Scarred Lands kickstarter that is different than the other OGL based third party 5e products that have already come out? My understanding is that such products don't need a new OGL.

AD

Nope. They all kinda mention how they want an OGL. It's just a reminder and it sounded hopeful, but the creator is very unlikely to have insider knowledge. Just wistful thinking.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Is there something about the Scarred Lands kickstarter that is different than the other OGL based third party 5e products that have already come out? My understanding is that such products don't need a new OGL.

AD

From ENWorld's article:

There's an interesting note on the page about a free adventure, Gauntlet of Spiragos, which you can download for Pathfinder now, or "a 5th Edition version is forthcoming — we’re just hoping for an official announcement regarding 5th Edition games before we apply the finishing touches".

...which makes it sound like (a) they know some announcement is coming and (b) they figure it's coming soon enough that they can hold off releasing something until it is, which implies that (c) they perhaps had some knowledge about what was being developed (which wouldn't be shocking, given that the Scarred Lands was one of the OGL's first settings and had a pretty successful run in the early 2000's, IIRC).

Could just be wishful thinking, though. :)

lkj

Hero
From ENWorld's article:

...which makes it sound like (a) they know some announcement is coming and (b) they figure it's coming soon enough that they can hold off releasing something until it is, which implies that (c) they perhaps had some knowledge about what was being developed (which wouldn't be shocking, given that the Scarred Lands was one of the OGL's first settings and had a pretty successful run in the early 2000's, IIRC).

Thanks. Yes, that sounds vaguely promising. Though, as you say, it could just be wishful thinking.

AD

Hussar

Legend
Aw MAN. I missed that announcement. I was and am a GINORMOUS Scarred Lands fan. And SL as a setting would work perfectly fine for 5e. AAARRRGGGHHHH. Now I need to start scraping together some pennies to get this. But, I want to run a Primeval Thule campaign first. ARRRGGHGHGH!!!

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

SL was the first setting I ever bought into heavily. Just so much goodness. Thanks for the heads up on this.

Really, I don't think it's going to be too much of an OGL issue. Heck, the original SL was so much broken content that it wasn't funny. :p But, I imagine they'll simply go the same route as the other publishers and just change the wording enough to avoid copyright issues. Most of their IP was purely their own anyway which they can do whatever they want with.

Be very interested to see an updated Creature Collection though. A Players/Campaign guide is great, but, without the CC's, I'd be doing a butt load of work to try to convert stuff across.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
From ENWorld's article:

Naw, I'd guess they are keeping the options open since they don't have to stick their neck out yet or, possibly, they are trying to wrangle a private deal with WotC as WotC has done with other publishers so far in this 5E Era.

delericho

Legend
Be very interested to see an updated Creature Collection though. A Players/Campaign guide is great, but, without the CC's, I'd be doing a butt load of work to try to convert stuff across.

That would indeed be good. Of course, even when I used monsters from those books before, they needed conversion to the actual 3e rules...

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
From ENWorld's article:

Perhaps I'm coming at it with jade-colored glasses as opposed to your rose, but the big word for me that indicates they don't have any insider knowledge is "hoping." They're not waiting for an official announcement, they're hoping for one--which means they could be simply speaking about their desires, not facts nor even rumors they've heard. The potential danger of toying with the law here--even if many others have already done so--is pretty significant, and I wouldn't at all be surprised if the modest and indirect sales boost produced by a free adventure is not considered commensurate with that risk.

Remove ads