D&D 5E So, 5e OGL

From ENWorld's article:

...which makes it sound like (a) they know some announcement is coming and (b) they figure it's coming soon enough that they can hold off releasing something until it is, which implies that (c) they perhaps had some knowledge about what was being developed (which wouldn't be shocking, given that the Scarred Lands was one of the OGL's first settings and had a pretty successful run in the early 2000's, IIRC).

Could just be wishful thinking, though. :)

I imagine it is.
It sounds like they're just holding off on completion for a little bit, focusing on one over the other, and chose 5e in the hopes a licence is ready by then.

But if Kobold Press gave up on waiting (and that company is a lot closer to WotC) then I don't have high hopes.

seebs

Adventurer
Yup. There is now a PDF you can download that has mostly-complete rules (omitting many of the class options), including spells, magic items, monsters, and lots of the DMG stuff about planes etc.

Nellisir

Hero
I'm going to go ahead and say that I was wrong; WotC was MORE generous than I expected. I thought they'd write a new license: they didn't. I thought they'd only release the Basic Rules: they didn't. So hats off to them! :)

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I'm going to go ahead and say that I was wrong; WotC was MORE generous than I expected. I thought they'd write a new license: they didn't. I thought they'd only release the Basic Rules: they didn't. So hats off to them! :)

Agreed. They've found the right balance between opening things up to the community and making sure the majority of what people publish will further their own business goals. Kudos!

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
My unbridled optimism in an OGL is not only rewarded, but the DM's Guild is an amazing middle ground for fan publications. YES. This is REALLY VERY AWESOME.

Time to get writing. :)

Nellisir

Hero
Agreed. They've found the right balance between opening things up to the community and making sure the majority of what people publish will further their own business goals. Kudos!

The truncated SRD is totally awesome, IMO. I follow Swords & Wizardry on the OSR side of things, and just about my favorite product is Pars Fortuna, which is all different races (and classes, because race = class), a different (but compatible) magic system, spells, and just general different but useful stuff. It was S&W (which is basic D&D) but re envisioned.

Remove ads