D&D 5E So, 5e OGL

mips42

Adventurer
While I'm glad that the OGL and SRD are out, the SRD, in its current pdf-only form, is not incredibly useful.
I hope they update it into a more useful form.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
This has some interesting implications for all those Kickstarter things that came out in the past year. Kinda wish I had waited a bit before jumping on the Peimeval Thule bandwagon. It would have meant that some of the phrasing wouldn't be so clunky.

Meh. Aw well. Good stuff going forward.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
While I'm glad that the OGL and SRD are out, the SRD, in its current pdf-only form, is not incredibly useful.

It is not intended to be useful to the individual player of the game. It is a reference for writers and publishers, not players.

CapnZapp

Legend
It is not intended to be useful to the individual player of the game. It is a reference for writers and publishers, not players.
The d20 SRD was/is incredibly useful to me as a DM.

I wager the most used way to use a SRD is as a hyperlinked modern rules reference and copyable text source.

The possibility to make new stuff is second to me.

Remathilis

Legend
The d20 SRD was/is incredibly useful to me as a DM.

I wager the most used way to use a SRD is as a hyperlinked modern rules reference and copyable text source.

The possibility to make new stuff is second to me.
True, but I think WotC is trying to avoid competing PHB sources. The 3.5 SRD was competition to the core books, the 5e one isn't.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
True, but I think WotC is trying to avoid competing PHB sources. The 3.5 SRD was competition to the core books, the 5e one isn't.

That's fiction, apparently. When they were hashing out the 4E licensing plans, Scott Rouse spoke to a number of publishers by phone including myself and I asked point blank if my SRD 3.5 Revised was problematic or helping cause the shift away from OGL support for D&D and I was told that it was not.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/17705/Aid-SRD-35-Revised-Full-Bundle?it=1

Remove ads