• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, how are the War of the Dragon Queen minis?

Vocenoctum

First Post
Went out for lunch, bought another Booster...

Wizened Elder Watcher is a Rare?
What a ripoff!

Still, fire elemental is neat. Got another Godslayer though, not sure I need two...

Bonded Fire Summoner is also nicely done.

Beckett

Explorer
My cases arrived today. I arrived home and they were waiting at my door. I wanted to dive in, but managed to restrain myself. I did some dishes, a few other chores, then I grabbed a drink and settled down. Once I had the two cases open, I grabbed two boxes from each and set them aside- combination thank you gifts for help on my move and grooms gifts to my two better men. A twinge of greed hit me- suppose I had just gifted away some mini that I really wanted? But no, these are two of my best friends, they deserve what they get.

Now, I was ready to take a box for myself. I plucked one out, noting that it felt a little light, which could mean something but I didn't want to get my hopes up. I quickly tossed the cards aside so as not to risk spoiling the surprise. The assortment inside was decent- a greenspawn razorfiend was the first I pulled, the plague rat was decent, the others didn't delight or offend. My rare was the Talon of Tiamat, and I tried to remember if that meant no other rare or not. My huge was beneath a layer of carboard. I carefully lifted up, hoping, hoping, and... YES!!! A dracolich stared back at me. What a way to start a case :)

LondonReign

First Post
brehobit said:
From what I can tell every case has one of the following 2 pairs of minis:
Eldrich Giant/Tundra Scout
Dracolich/sorc on dragon
Tiamat/Bahamut

Has anyone gotten a case with two different rare huges?

Mark

Mine was different: Tiamat and Tundra Scout, with other huges being Fire Elemental, Mountain Troll, Fiendish Spider, and Purple Worm.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
This just posted on maxminis:

Paul Barclay:
As the person who's ultimately responsible for making sure that errors like this don't happen, I can tell you that our biggest priority when we see a problem is preventing the problem in the future. I don't want to see this happen again, and my team is putting procedures into place at Wizards and at the factory to make sure that the Nightmare scenario doesn't happen again.

We know this won't happen with any Dreamblade sets. We know this won't happen with War Drums or Underdark. We know this won't happen on A&A Reserves. We're going to make sure it doesn't happen with SWM Bounty Hunters.

These procedures will also fix or catch any potential pairing problems, so we won't be seeing that again, either.

I'm not going to comment further on WoDQ, as I don't have any authority to do that. What I can say is to please keep posting ideas - you never know when we might find one that's better than anything we've come up with ourselves.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Barclay
Miniatures & New Business Operations Manager
Wizards of the Coast

smootrk

First Post
Well, I finally got around to opening my third case... and yep, the huge rares are the exact same pair that came out of another case that I opened - Tiamat and Bahamut.

Seeing this occur again and again on the boards made me nervous to open my third case, lest I be victim of this distribution error - but there ya go... victimized. At least the error is likely in my favor with 2 very nice critters to trade with... but then, I have to go through the effort of this third party trading. Oh well, maybe I can fill a couple holes in my collection from previous sets that pre-dated my getting into the miniatures - and I really wanted that Dracolich !

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
RangerWickett said:
Um . . . I have a few of those promo half-illithid lizard folk from Gen Con from a few years back. And I could probably steal some of my DM's crappy minis. He might not notice. Oh, and ooh! I've got a bunch of mismatched chess pieces, perfect for when the party faces the 'horse head statue' golem.

Drop me an e-mail and we can find some way to get it into your hands.

Felon

First Post
Just got my master set today, which tickles me pink right there since it wasn't supposed to arrive before our gaming session tomorrow.

Pretty damn nice. After reading all the problems folks had with cases, I'm glad as heck that I choose this route. In fact, I"m not sure why the heck you guys are buying cases--but I'm glad you do!

Btw, the eBay seller I bought the set from did a great job all around. The store's name is Linden Cards & Computers. Here's a link: http://stores.ebay.com/Linden-Cards-and-Computers_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

Felon

First Post
So, now that I've sat and started the sorting process, I've noticed a few things.

First off, the only large uncommon is the ogre skirmisher. That's a real downturn from the last couple of sets.

Second, no outsiders as far I can tell (aasimar notwithstanding). Yes, I know Blood War is coming, but still...Undead and aberrations are also among the vitrually unrepresented.

I like the Eldritch Giant, but the way he's holding his sword, the blade goes right up against his face.

Been cruising eBay to pick up some stirges, and I'll be damned if they aren't going for the price of a rare mini! The starting asking price seems to be five bucks. And we're talking about a tiny mini here...

Last edited:

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
By master set you mean you bought a complete set, right? How much did that run you? I've contemplated doing that before, but never really investigated prices.

The greenspawn razorfiend is also a large uncommon, and there are six huge uncommons - at least four of which I'd happily take multiples.

Technically there are several other outsiders: the aspects of tiamat and bahamut, azer fighter, the nightmare (with blackguard on top), and demonic gnoll archer. There are also some RPG extraplanar creatures like the huge fiendish spider, the two fire elementals, and the magma hurler.

I found a local gaming store selling stirges for $3 CAD a pop. I may have to lay down an XX note sometime soon...

-blarg

Remove ads