So, how many are avoiding Essentials?

Badwe

First Post
my players almost immediately took feats from essentials when I made it available. I also plan on using the monster vault in tandem with MM1-MM3 when i start making my own encounters (i primarily run mods because i'm lazy). In terms of rules changes, we are picking and choosing, specifically with magic items. Right now the players have a lot of cash and have been able to make what are now "uncommon" magic items with ease thanks to the party artificer. Switching to essentials rules would leave them with entirely too much cash on hand and nothing to do with it, and some of the magic item rule changes will muck with the artificer's kit. Therefore, I'll be waiting about a year (my estimate) when i have a planned level jump (from lvl 18 to 25) and in theory i'll switch to the new item rules then.

To expand, I think the biggest change to existing characters with Essentials is that Superior Crossbow Rogues have been slapped round the head hard with the nerf bat as they can no longer sneak attack with their +3/1d10 weapon. But to me that was always an exploit along the lines of the Twin Strike Daggermaster Avenger - the reason Rogues got +2d6 sneak attack rather than the +d6 of other strikers was that their weapons were small and concealable rather than greatbows or dual wielded bastard swords. The second biggest I can think of is the change to Melee Training.

Compared to 3 -> 3.5 or 3.5 -> PF that's nothing.

I'm getting in my two cents before I buzz off. 100,000 members could clutter the forum space.

I learned the game has been around for a few decades at this time. I'm pretty sure fighter has been overplayed. My first character wasn't an essential.

Jared Rascher

Explorer
I used to play in a 4E game, and I was actually more excited about the game around the time the PH2 came out than I was when the original came out. The GM suffered serious burnout when the Power books came out, as he had to keep coming up with ways to actually challenge the party, and the game drifted apart.

I was actually kind of interested in playing in an Essentials only game, but strangely, most people in my area have either sworn off of 4E or are staying with the pre-Essentials line.

S

Sunseeker

I was actually kind of interested in playing in an Essentials only game, but strangely, most people in my area have either sworn off of 4E or are staying with the pre-Essentials line.

If you've got a LGS, see if they do Encounters. It's a great way to try out Essentials with no investment other than a little time.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Simple question: What new classes/variants exist in the Essentials books, and in which books are they found?

I ask because I see all kinds of new builds mentioned on the boards the past few months, and I can't tell what their sources of origin are...and that directly impacts my shopping decisions.

samursus

Explorer
[MENTION=19675]Dannyalcatraz[/MENTION]

Heroes of the Fallen Lands:
Slayer (Fighter Striker)
Knight (Fighter Defender)
Thief (Rogue)
Mage (Wizard w/ 3 variants; Schools of Magic)
Warpriest (Melee Clerics with 3 Domains [1 is in Dragon])

Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms:
Sentinel (Druid Leader w/ Animal Companion)
Hunter (Ranger Controller)
Scout (Ranger Striker?)
Hexblade (Melee Warlocks; Fey & Infernal Pact [Star Pact is in Dragon])
Cavalier (Paladin; 2 flavours based on "Virtues")

Last edited:

The Little Raven

First Post
Simple question: What new classes/variants exist in the Essentials books, and in which books are they found?

I ask because I see all kinds of new builds mentioned on the boards the past few months, and I can't tell what their sources of origin are...and that directly impacts my shopping decisions.

Heroes of the Fallen Lands
Warpriest (Cleric)
Knight (Fighter)
Slayer (Fighter; Striker)
Thief (Rogue)
Mage (Wizard)

Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms
Hexblade (Warlock)
Hunter (Ranger; Controller)
Scout (Ranger)
Cavalier (Paladin)
Sentinel (Druid; Leader)

Dragon Magazine
Executioner (Assassin)

Dragon Magazine also has some new options for some of these builds.

And there's speculation that the Bladesinger in the upcoming Neverwinter Campaign Guide will be an Essentials-style version of the Swordmage.

Remove ads