D&D 5E So, it seems I have a cursed item...

ElterAgo

Explorer
Ok, so my 6th level tiefling warlock put on a "Suit of the Dead" because he thought it was magic leather armor.

It fused with my skin and now I look (and smell) like a rotting zombie.
Considered Undead - everyone looking at me, including other undead, will think I am an undead zombie.
Fortitude of the Dead
Regenerate 1 hp / min
Hideous appearance - gives a penalty of -4 to all charisma checks except intimidate.
Vulnerable to fire and radiant damage
Functions as leather armor.

Rather than try to get rid of it, I'm thinking of playing it up. However, I was the face of the group. My proficiency in deception, persuasion, disguise kit, and the actor feat are all pretty useless.

Does 5th Ed have some sort of rules for 're-training' proficiencies and feats?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Does that -4 apply to your spells as well?

As for your question, the only retraining rules available are for the AL. And they only apply to characters under level 5. So your best bet is to ask the DM.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Put on a robe with some pockets. Fill those pockets with posies. Throw on a plague doctor's mask. If indeed your penalty to Charisma checks is due to appearance, that may mitigate it since you'll be covered up. Also, don't ask to make Charisma checks if you're currently doing that. Just say what you want to say and hope to accomplish by saying it and wait for the DM's response. If he or she asks you to make a Charisma check, spend your Inspiration.

The vulnerability to fire is problematic. Radiance doesn't come up much for adventurers in my experience, so that's not too bad.

As for retraining, I don't believe that's an option in the rules.

Shiroiken

Legend
Rather than try to get rid of it, I'm thinking of playing it up. However, I was the face of the group. My proficiency in deception, persuasion, disguise kit, and the actor feat are all pretty useless.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. If anyone else had put the cursed armor on, it probably wouldn't be an issue, but you've focused your character into a specific niche (party face), and even if you could retrain (requires DM fiat), you'd still leave your group without a key role. Instead, I'd recommend getting it removed and offering it to another character who can benefit from the armor while minimizing the effects of the curse.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Actually, now that I see that you're a tiefling, the vulnerability to fire isn't so bad. Your resistance to fire will cancel out the vulnerability and you're no worse off than a human in this regard.

So do something about the smell and look, which shouldn't be terribly hard, and soak in that delicious regeneration.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Find a way to get the friends cantrip maybe? Or constantly casting prestidigitation to cancel out the smell?

Role playing wise, you could try to disguise it to convince people that you're a burn victim or have some form of non-contagious leprosy? That might instill enough pity from people to make them empathetic to your position.

ElterAgo

Explorer
... If he or she asks you to make a Charisma check, spend your Inspiration.

... Radiance doesn't come up much for adventurers in my experience, so that's not too bad.

We don't have anyone in our group giving inspiration.

The radiance actually is mostly coming from a couple of our group casting spells with radiance AoE spells fairly often.

... you've focused your character into a specific niche (party face), ... you'd still leave your group without a key role. ... offering it to another character who can benefit from the armor while minimizing the effects of the curse.

There is another PC with persuasion and they haven't always been real happy with my attempts at deception.
No one else wants the Suit.

Actually, now that I see that you're a tiefling, the vulnerability to fire isn't so bad. Your resistance to fire will cancel out the vulnerability and you're no worse off than a human in this regard.

GM ruled that it overrides the racial trait rather than cancels out.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
We don't have anyone in our group giving inspiration.

Not even the DM?

The radiance actually is mostly coming from a couple of our group casting spells with radiance AoE spells fairly often.

One would hope that your teammates aren't hitting you with their spells.

GM ruled that it overrides the racial trait rather than cancels out.

Yikes. If it didn't grant regeneratino, this starting to sound like a punishment. Maybe for your many deceptions.

Coroc

Hero
Ok, so my 6th level tiefling warlock put on a "Suit of the Dead" because he thought it was magic leather armor.

It fused with my skin and now I look (and smell) like a rotting zombie.
Considered Undead - everyone looking at me, including other undead, will think I am an undead zombie.
Fortitude of the Dead
Regenerate 1 hp / min
Hideous appearance - gives a penalty of -4 to all charisma checks except intimidate.
Vulnerable to fire and radiant damage
Functions as leather armor.

Your DM seems to rock the house, very good cursed item. ".... However, I was the face of the group..." :p :))
So according to your logic what bodypart of the group do you now represent :p

Sorry no offense I could not resist :p

ElterAgo

Explorer
Not even the DM?
Sorry, I thought you meant bardic inspiration.

One would hope that your teammates aren't hitting you with their spells.
Well it is more that it is limiting options. We have a couple of PC's that have been using Moonbeam quite a bit. Even if it hits a couple of PC's it is worth it to hit a bunch of whatevers. Now they are needing to be a bit more circumspect to not blast me to pieces.

Yikes. If it didn't grant regeneratino, this starting to sound like a punishment. Maybe for your many deceptions.
I think he actually was surprised that I was the one that put it on. 4 of the 6 of us are using light armor.

So according to your logic what bodypart of the group do you now represent :p
Based on the smell... I'd have to say the large intestine. Or possibly a bit lower.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases