• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So My DMG is Falling Apart Three Days After I Got it...

Aus_Snow

First Post
As it so happens, you're definitely not the only one. Check out some of the threads here and on RPGnet (and elsewhere, actually.)

Happening a lot, whether it's 'just' warping or the apparently crappy binding, or full-blown pages falling out type stuff.

loki1986

First Post
Sadly enough this same thing happened to me. Pages 1-12 of my DMG fell apart on about day 2. I returned it to the book store and they replaced it for me, but the manager of the store (just happened to be the one that helped me, i did not put up that big of a stink) and i went through the 4 they had on display and two of them were obviously in bad shape right out of the case. the first couple pages of the book were not bound properly, but it was only in the DMGs. I took one of the ones that looked good and he defected out the one i returned and the two we found.

It seems like might have been like, one batch of them were not bound well enough, because the other books are fine and my house mates DMGs are fine. Sucks for WOTC if a lot of them are having this problem though.

Dire Bare

Legend
Aus_Snow said:
Happening a lot, whether it's 'just' warping or the apparently crappy binding, or full-blown pages falling out type stuff.
Definitely a larger issue then. That sucks. For the folks who got the defective books, for the retailers who sold them, and for WotC. Doesn't really change the situation though, although sounds like it might be harder for some to get a non-broken replacement from their local retailer.

Mercurius

Legend
I haven't read the whole thread, but the bottom line: In any bunch of apples there are always a few bad ones. Unfortunately the OP got one that was worm-ridden.

RigaMortus2

First Post
I hope this isn't a trend. I've had no problems at all with any of my 3E books, so I hope the 4E books are at least as good as those in the wear-and-tear department...

galaga88

Explorer
I handle ordering for a college library, and I have to say that it seems to be policy for shops to send replacement books right away and charge us for the second copy if the original isn't returned within say, 30 days.

Amazon in fact did precisely this on a recent order, so I'm surprised they didn't do the same for you.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
This is the thread that officially confirms that the edition shift is just the same as 2e-3e.

I remember the EXACT SAME FREAKING BINDING WHINES.

Thank you.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Charwoman Gene said:
This is the thread that officially confirms that the edition shift is just the same as 2e-3e.

I remember the EXACT SAME FREAKING BINDING WHINES.

Thank you.
Thanks?

Last edited:

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
My GURPS 4e player's book and my Silver Age Sentinels book both fell apart shortly after getting them. For GURPS it was a known issue that many customers had. So many that they sent me a second copy free, along with who knows how many other people. That must have really hurt them financially, and might explain why GURPS 4e is nearly missing from shelves today.

(I'm still not sure if the reason I ended up disliking GURPS 4e was because I didn't like how it almost but not quite measured up to Hero, or how my GM at the time kept making house rules for every character I kept switching to in an attempt to outpace his house ruling...)

For both bad books I bought binding glue and fixed the problems - non-acidic flexible glue from an arts and crafts store.

Sometimes print runs go bad. RPG products are fairly small press, even DnD, so I suspect they're getting second shift treatment at the press. I toured a press once, back when I was taking graphic design classes. The business I went to printed newspapers for one of the local dailies, and slotted everyone else on the side or on spare machines... On reflection, I can see how that might lead to issues.

I cannot say that's the case for DnD's 4E books, its just an idea.

In any print run, no matter how well it goes, there will be bad copies. Somebody is going to end up with those copies. In today's facebook world we can pretty much be sure that the entire population of DnD is online in some capacity, so we're going to hear about it at some point...

Its just a question of scale that will tell us if we're looking at the natural few bad copies or a bad run.

Remove ads