• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So This Just Arrived...

Just now, a heavy package arrived at my door. Inside is Sasquatch Game Studios Primeval Thule campaign setting for D&D 5th Edition. It's a full-colour hardcover, about 270 pages. I haven't had chance to delve into it yet, but I can report that it certainly smells of book. Sasquatch, as you may know, produced Princes of the Apocalypse for WotC. Thule's a little different to that - it's a setting inspired by the likes of Conan, featuring Great Old Ones and dark magic. It's barbaric, savage, and mysterious. Oh, and primeval. Below I've posted a few photos of the book, since I literally just got it and haven't been able to read it yet!

Just now, a heavy package arrived at my door. Inside is Sasquatch Game Studios Primeval Thule campaign setting for D&D 5th Edition. It's a full-colour hardcover, about 270 pages. I haven't had chance to delve into it yet, but I can report that it certainly smells of book. Sasquatch, as you may know, produced Princes of the Apocalypse for WotC. Thule's a little different to that - it's a setting inspired by the likes of Conan, featuring Great Old Ones and dark magic. It's barbaric, savage, and mysterious. Oh, and primeval. Below I've posted a few photos of the book, since I literally just got it and haven't been able to read it yet!

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1806.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1807.jpg

DeathMutant

First Post
Two more (converted to 5e) adventurers plus a Player's Companion are in Sasquatch's product pipeline too though a specific release date has not been announced; I am hoping January?

I believe that the reason for using terms like "tactical advantage" (instead of Advantage) and "rest" (instead of Short Rest) was to avoid using 5e-specific terminology and stay within the OGL (from 3e/d20) boundaries.

In my Primeval Thule campaign, I just (temporarily) banned all spellcasting classes -- for PCs -- in attempt to enforce the "magic is dangerous, mysterious and unpredictable" feel. The Campaign Setting book *suggests* that (about magic) but there are almost no published mechanics mechanics to support it -- so it is up to the DM.

Capital_Q

Explorer
My friends and I helped fund the Kickstarter. I've started a game in Roll20 using using one of their 4E thule adventures (converting to 5e myself) and it's been a blast so far. Players like the narratives over backgrounds and the setting is presented well. The pulp-adventure-Burroughs-Howard vibe would be enough for us but toss in the Cthulhu Mythos too?!? Epic...

Yaarel

He-Mage
Exactly how does Thule use the 3e OGL to handle 5e rules?

For example, is Thule a stand-alone product, or does the group also need to own a 5e Players Handbook?

darjr

I crit!
You'll need the 5e players handbook.

But that sparks an idea. Could the OGL be used to make a 5e clone? Something that could stand in as a standard for all these third parties? Like an OSRIC for 5e?

Hussar

Legend
Exactly how does Thule use the 3e OGL to handle 5e rules?

For example, is Thule a stand-alone product, or does the group also need to own a 5e Players Handbook?

You'll need the 5e players handbook.

But that sparks an idea. Could the OGL be used to make a 5e clone? Something that could stand in as a standard for all these third parties? Like an OSRIC for 5e?

As Darjr says, you need the 5e PHB.

However, I would argue that an OSRIC version of 5e is pretty unnecessary considering that you have the Basic rules out there for free. The only thing you would be adding is the subclasses, more or less.

Yaarel

He-Mage
As Darjr says, you need the 5e PHB.

However, I would argue that an OSRIC version of 5e is pretty unnecessary considering that you have the Basic rules out there for free. The only thing you would be adding is the subclasses, more or less.

Albeit, most players do not need a 3e OGL.

DMs and designers who want to publish content, even just to put it on a website, do need the OGL, legally speaking.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Albeit, most players do not need a 3e OGL.

DMs and designers who want to publish content, even just to put it on a website, do need the OGL, legally speaking.

Not really. The OGL makes it easier and provides a safe harbour. You don't need it to provide compatible products, though, as long as you know what you're doing.

Remove ads

Remove ads