• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, Wandavision?

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Think about that. One day, half the world population vanishes. The remainder go on.

Years later, they come back. Think, for a moment, about basic things. Like... food supply. The world population doubles in an instant - how do you feed everybody?
Yeah. It was interesting the mentions of both the snap and the unsnap, and the ramifications of each. In reality, the unsnap would be an unmitigated disaster, with five years of decay of infrastructure. Delivery pipelines would be structured for half as many people. Half as much production would be running. Half as much food planted. Possessions would have been taken over by the unsnapped, or discarded by the same. The snapped who had better than average accommodations suddenly becoming the new displaced. The unsnapped who had worse accommodations returning to five years of neglect.
TomB

Janx

Hero
Think about that. One day, half the world population vanishes. The remainder go on.

Years later, they come back. Think, for a moment, about basic things. Like... food supply. The world population doubles in an instant - how do you feed everybody?
That, too.

One problem I've pondered is where did snapped people who were in bad places return to. Remember the end credits of Infinity War. Fury is stopped in traffic and a helicopter crashes. The pilot must have snapped. Where does he return to? In mid-air? What about flights. Is it raining people who came back to where they were 5 years earlier in a plane?

What about that guy at Steve's meeting who went on that date and they both cried a lot. What happens when his husband returns home?

Speaking of moving on, a new family lives in your apartment from 5 years ago and you just materialized in the middle of their dining table. Ouch.

Oh yeah, one more. Remember those planes? You know how sad we all were after 9/11. Probably a quarter to half the flights should have gone down because both pilots snapped. So not only do we worry about half the in-flight passengers returning, the other half of those crashes do not return. Try adding anger to the mix for the families whose loved ones didn't return in the unsnap.

There are macro and micro scale questions to the impact of the unsnap.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

I don’t know whether I got this. But somewhere I heard or read than the unsnap was more nuanced than that. It’s basically magic, and when unsnapping Hulk altered reality to fix a lot of that stuff. I think I heard it in context of plane pilots and stuff. But it’s very handwavey.

Janx

Hero
I don’t know whether I got this. But somewhere I heard or read than the unsnap was more nuanced than that. It’s basically magic, and when unsnapping Hulk altered reality to fix a lot of that stuff. I think I heard it in context of plane pilots and stuff. But it’s very handwavey.
which would cover the terrible things I've been wondering.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That, too.

One problem I've pondered is where did snapped people who were in bad places return to. Remember the end credits of Infinity War. Fury is stopped in traffic and a helicopter crashes. The pilot must have snapped. Where does he return to? In mid-air? What about flights. Is it raining people who came back to where they were 5 years earlier in a plane?

My recollection is that there's a quick line to Hulk before he snaps people back, that stipulates that they all come back safely. Stark and Banner are not dumb, thankfully.

Oh yeah, one more. Remember those planes? You know how sad we all were after 9/11. Probably a quarter to half the flights should have gone down because both pilots snapped.

Assuming a pilot and co-pilot, the chance of losing both should be one-quarter.

More of issue, I expect, are all the cars on the road, because there's no co-pilot there. It is daytime in Wakanda when the snap occurs, that means a lot of traffic accidents in Europe and Africa. Less in the Americas and Asia.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

I am good with it in terms of plane pilots. Doubling the food supply so that folks don't starve to death is a bit of a longer stretch. But, clearly, it worked out somehow.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I am good with it in terms of plane pilots. Doubling the food supply so that folks don't starve to death is a bit of a longer stretch. But, clearly, it worked out somehow.
I mean, is doubling the food on earth more of a stretch than simultaneously disintegrating exactly 50% of all the sentient beings in the entire universe... and then bringing them back again? Or any of the other weirrd stuff Thanos does with the gauntlet? It's just magic. I don't think it bears too much thought.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
I mean, is doubling the food on earth more of a stretch than simultaneously disintegrating exactly 50% of all the sentient beings in the entire universe... and then bringing them back again? Or any of the other weirrd stuff Thanos does with the gauntlet? It's just magic. I don't think it bears too much thought.
Except, there was that scene in the hospital, which was chaotic, and there were complaints that there were too many patients. Was that was just the chaos of the moment?
(Comics and all, this doesn’t really need to work. I’m not stuck on the point.)
TomB

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Except, there was that scene in the hospital, which was chaotic, and there were complaints that there were too many patients. Was that was just the chaos of the moment?
(Comics and all, this doesn’t really need to work. I’m not stuck on the point.)
TomB

I think that was the point - she wasn't the first to come back. The hospital was being overwhelmed with sudden returns of both staff and patients.

I suspect that it would be likely that some hospitals closed during the blip - rather than running all hospitals at half capacity, they probably ran two-thirds of the hospitals at three-quarters capacity.

Remove ads