• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, Wandavision?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
sometimes a cigar does burn with hot, scarlet significance

This is an excellent phrase.

And, I agree, Marvel has, traditionally, not kept itself to "just" adventure stories with no further context or socially relevant elements. While you can turn your brain off and just be entertained, that doesn't mean the authors are not including thoughtful material.

reelo

Hero
I loved the Vision vs Vision "battle".
26db14dd9d02e7003c401366d0ad9308.jpg

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Note:
Captain America is ancient.
Iron Man is dead.
Black Widow is dead.
Falcon and Winter Soldier are off in their own show.
Thor is in space.
Captain Marvel is in space.
Guardians of the Galaxy are in space.
Spider-Man is a kid, off in his own movie.
Black Panther is... well, Shuri is in Wakanda.
Valkyrie doesn't really know these people, and is presumably in Norway.
Ant-Man is on the West Coast, typically.

I think the only plausible ones who might intervene are... War Machine, Hulk, and Doctor Strange?

The only one who'd be of any use would be Doctor Strange. Or... well, I could see a big green Professor Hulk sitting down with Wanda for a heart-to-heart. That would be amusing.

Yeah, but, wouldn't there be one if not several organizations actively tracking all high level supers? Both as support staff and as external monitors. I just can't see any of these folks not having a constant halo of "observers". And even with the paucity of true Avengers, would there be no-one alert to Wanda's loss and wanting to provide support? Looking at all of the folks who were at Iron Man's funeral, it seems odd that Vision would be so neglected.

(Maybe that is one of the points of the series. With Vision's death five years past, maybe folks weren't twigged in that the loss was very recent for Wanda. That fits with Wanda's statement that Vision deserved a proper burial. Of course, there were a lot of folks who were unsnapped who would also see Vision's death as a recent thing.)

TomB

MarkB

Legend
Yeah, but, wouldn't there be one if not several organizations actively tracking all high level supers? Both as support staff and as external monitors. I just can't see any of these folks not having a constant halo of "observers". And even with the paucity of true Avengers, would there be no-one alert to Wanda's loss and wanting to provide support? Looking at all of the folks who were at Iron Man's funeral, it seems odd that Vision would be so neglected.
You have to bear in mind that this is just a couple of weeks after the end of the Blip. The entire world had been in disarray for years, and Wanda didn't even exist until after the Unsnap. Whatever official organisations that were in place to track potential threats would have been overwhelmed by the sudden re-appearance of 50% of the human race.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
No, Marvel stories have always made a point of working in a bit of social complexity and the movies have had their various dramatic nods to PTSD and other traumas. The WandaVision writers explicitly included overwhelming grief as a motif in the story ...

sometimes a cigar does burn with hot, scarlet significance
There's a big difference between incorporating social complexity, and modeling appropriately constructive behavior as a blueprint for the viewers. Captain America punches Nazis - but that doesn't mean they're trying to normalize it as appropriate social behavior. After all, punches in the comic books are not the same as punches in real life. Marvel incorporating grief and PTSD into a character's behavior doesn't mean we should use their behavior as a model to handle our own, nor should it be seen as such.
And as close as pming's point gets to that, he's right.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, but, wouldn't there be one if not several organizations actively tracking all high level supers? Both as support staff and as external monitors. I just can't see any of these folks not having a constant halo of "observers".

Superheroes have a knack for dodging all but the most diligent and well-funded scrutiny. Cap and Black Widow disappeared, for example, while clearly still active fighting the the good fight.

And even with the paucity of true Avengers, would there be no-one alert to Wanda's loss and wanting to provide support?

It has always seemed to me that Wanda was socially isolated. Most of the Avengers are, in fact. Their teamwork did not seem to extend to a shared emotional support network. And the one time we saw them gather socially... Ultron crashed the party.

That was part of the point of her relationship with Vision - he actively cared and sought her out. When he was killed, she lost meaningful connection with others in the world... and that spells trouble for grief.

There's a big difference between incorporating social complexity, and modeling appropriately constructive behavior as a blueprint for the viewers. Captain America punches Nazis - but that doesn't mean they're trying to normalize it as appropriate social behavior.

Why not? Everyone should punch a Nazi in the face at least once in their life. It would make the world a better place.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I’m guessing that SWORD is that organisation (all superheroes are essentially sentient weapons) but as stated its only 3 weeks since the Blip, the worlds chaotic

Last edited:

Remove ads