So what are you reading this year 2021?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Also, at some point I need to try the first Stormlight Archive book again. Despite liking all of Sanderson's other works, that one was a DNF for me.
Way of Kings does have a pretty steep learning curve to it, because it's probably the most "world building" he has to do, which slows things a little (though I still found it fascinating). But it is a world where you can't just "assume" a lot like in other fantasy. Flora and fauna are VERY different. The races are very different. And you get impacts of ancient history and religion that aren't immediately explained and you just have to take it in and move on. But it's all well worth it. Especially when you run across easter eggs like the first Interlude chapter with the strangers in the tavern or meet Wit and Zahel.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Still reading Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. by Ron Chernow.

Still reading Night of the Hunter by R. A. Salvatore.

Still reading The Battle for Spain by Antony Beevor.

Still reading Beyond Order: 12 More Rules for Life by Jordan B. Peterson.

Still reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Still reading Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb.

Still reading Changes by Jim Butcher.

Still reading A Lone Habitation by Seanan McGuire.

Still listening to Lux by Brandon Sanderson.

Still reading Black Widow: Forever Red by Margaret Stohl.

Still reading The Battle for Skandia by John Flanagan.

Still reading Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson.

Still reading Critical Role: Tal’dorei Campaign Setting by Matthew Mercer.

Sill reading Discrimination and Disparities by Thomas Sowell.

Still reading The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Still reading Midnight Blue-Light Special by Seanan McGuire.

Started reading The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors by Dan Jones.

Started reading The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Can anyone recommend an entertaining biography of Richard Feynman? I've read two of his collected takes, "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman" and "What Do You Care What Other People Think", but I tried to read James Gleick's "The Life and Science of Richard Feynman" but it was so try. Yes, I'm looking for more actual accounts then just amusing anecdotes (though those are fun), but for someone portrayed as such a character in those first too books, none of that came across in Gleick's work and it was a chore to read.

It's definitely Sanderson's most ambitious bit of worldbuilding. And that part was definitely enjoyable. I think part of it was that I've been burnt on 700+ page fantasy novels ever since I did the whole of the Wheel of Time over the course of a year.

Way of Kings does have a pretty steep learning curve to it, because it's probably the most "world building" he has to do, which slows things a little (though I still found it fascinating). But it is a world where you can't just "assume" a lot like in other fantasy. Flora and fauna are VERY different. The races are very different. And you get impacts of ancient history and religion that aren't immediately explained and you just have to take it in and move on. But it's all well worth it. Especially when you run across easter eggs like the first Interlude chapter with the strangers in the tavern or meet Wit and Zahel.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Currently working my way through Bill Owen's book, Judges Guild's Bob & Bill: A Cautionary Tale, third edition. The history of Judges Guild is one I'm far less familiar with compared to TSR, and the plethora of illustrations is quite something as well. The extremely short chapters make it easy to peruse it in small bits when there's not much free time.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Currently working my way through Bill Owen's book, Judges Guild's Bob & Bill: A Cautionary Tale, third edition. The history of Judges Guild is one I'm far less familiar with compared to TSR, and the plethora of illustrations is quite something as well. The extremely short chapters make it easy to peruse it in small bits when there's not much free time.
Bob turned out to be somewhat... problematic. Any discussion of that in the book? I used to love that Judge's Guild stuff existed, although I always found it a bit thin, at least their early stuff.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Bob turned out to be somewhat... problematic. Any discussion of that in the book? I used to love that Judge's Guild stuff existed, although I always found it a bit thin, at least their early stuff.
As I recall, that was Bill Jr., not Bill Sr. I haven't finished the book yet, but given that this edition was published in 2014 (which was before the controversy broke out), I don't think it's going to mention that.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Finished the Deed of Paksanarrion. Starts much stronger than it finishes. It's my third reading, and I've decided book three is my least favorite. The last third just doesn't excite me for some reason.

Richards

Legend
I'm starting a new series by Ruth Downie (an author I've never read before), four novels of which I picked up in hardback at the library book sale for a dollar apiece. This first one is called Medicus and it's the first in the series (published in 2006) so I shouldn't have too much trouble with the others I bought, given there are some books missing between them. But as it's a mystery series, I assume each book will be more or less standalone as far as not needing to have read all of the previous ones.

In any case, the main character is a down-on-his luck doctor in ancient Roman times, off to his new duties in the faraway land of Brittania, where he'll apparently rescue a young slave and soon after get involved in a series of murders involving prostitutes. I enjoy ancient Roman historical fiction and I've taken to mysteries, so this should be a good mixture of the two.

Johnathan

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Still reading Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. by Ron Chernow.

Still reading Night of the Hunter by R. A. Salvatore.

Still reading The Battle for Spain by Antony Beevor.

Still reading Beyond Order: 12 More Rules for Life by Jordan B. Peterson.

Still reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Still reading Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb.

Still reading Changes by Jim Butcher.

Still reading A Lone Habitation by Seanan McGuire.

Still listening to Lux by Brandon Sanderson.

Finished reading Black Widow: Forever Red by Margaret Stohl.

Still reading The Battle for Skandia by John Flanagan.

Still reading Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson.

Still reading Critical Role: Tal’dorei Campaign Setting by Matthew Mercer.

Sill reading Discrimination and Disparities by Thomas Sowell.

Still reading The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Still reading Midnight Blue-Light Special by Seanan McGuire.

Still reading The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors by Dan Jones.

Still reading The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.

Started reading Black Widow: Red Vengeance by Margaret Stohl.

Remove ads