• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, what published 3e adventures are you always going to remember?

Psion

Adventurer
4e is looming near, and whether or not you are moving on, there is little question there will be few more published for 3.x.

So this gives me to wonder: of the published adventures (WotC or third party), which adventures will you always remember? Will Sunless Citadel be remembered fondly as Keep on the Borderlands is now? Will Shackled City or Age of Worms be the classic mega-quest with war stories like the Giants and Drow adventures generated?

Of course, we live in times of plenty, with much more choice in adventures than we ever had before, so I don't expect any adventure to capture the same percentage of the mindshare as those adventures of old did... all the more reason to ask which great adventures we are missing out on. What adventures gave YOU a great experience.

(Adventures you actually played or run, please. I want war stories, not reviews. :) )

Edit: After a threadcrap by a killjoy, I'll also request that if you didn't enjoy any 3e adventures, refrain from posting a threadcrap. This is about reflecting on the best 3e experiences. Thanks!

Last edited:

Gilladian

Adventurer
I think I really enjoyed Forge of Fury best of the 2-3 Wotc modules I got to PLAY. My "helpless" elf bard had a great time luring orcs away from the door of the Forge....

As far as running modules, I really enjoyed Gorgoldand's Gauntlet (I've run it at least twice). Something about the Jermlaine always drives my groups crazy; one group would not leave until they had smoked out and killed every one of the suckers. Finally I had the remainder flee down into the chasm to avoid the PCs. They fled, but they were giving the PCs the raspberry even as they did so.

The other group (much less experienced) lost most of their armor and weapons to the rust monsters, and were terrified of ledges and walls ever after.

I've run Sunless Citadel so many times that I can run it from memory at this point. There's only two other adventures I can say that about: Return to the Keep on the Borderlands and Isle of Dread.

I think Savage Tide and Paizo's Pathfinder series will be looked back on as the greatest Mega Modules of the late 3e era. Rise of the Runelords is amazing, and Savage Tide was just a romping good time.

Top 5 3e Adventures:
1) Sunless Citadel
2) Expedition to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk
3) Eyes of the Lich Queen
4) Forge of Fury
5) Dragonlance AP - (Key of Destiny / Spectre of Sorrows / Price of Courage)

-TRRW

DM_Jeff

Explorer
I think I'll be coming back to this thread over the next few days, but let's begin with VAULT OF LARIN KARR by Necromancer Games. Fond memories all 'round. No review, as requested, just war stories. I asked a couple of my players to recall some for me.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

● The VERY FIRST vault itself was neat, a mystery STILL unsolved... we liked the half elf village protector, but we’d never admit it.
● The wyvern almost taking off with one of our pack horses by the river was not cool.
● The dragon eating the gnoll ranger Greylock - also not cool.
● The Hextor cultist with the FAKE EXTRA ARMS!
● The infamous bard Jeff modeled after George Takei.
● I liked the halfling that lived in the tree that we saved from some Xills. We also cured him of his Xill egg infestation...
● Making friends with the exiled ogre brewmaster.
● Sorscha the mysterious hermit Enchantress.
● Getting kicked out of the Green Table Tavern because we were jerks.
● And let's NEVER forget Harry Jack and his wig.
● Mad escaped Girrallon rampaging.
● We pi$$ed off elves too, that were looking for a relic & burning farms.
● Hodge, the coolest butler.
● Heika distilling moonbeams to cure the pig farmer's lycanthropy
● Judah gets caught by the two women he has as lovers.
● Gilk the goblin bootshiner who Heika later reincarnates as a halfling
● "Here lies the body of Larin Karr. Do not look upon his fearful visage or be cursed forever with hideous knowledge."

-DM Jeff

Last edited:

DM_Jeff

Explorer
And who could forget true greatness in RED HAND OF DOOM, Wizards of the Coast's fine dragonspawned romp of evil! More rememberies from the players. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

* The behir at the giant lion cave swallowing whole poor Humphrey the first, riding dog extraordinaire.
* A bard NPC taking out a gigantic red dragon with a well-placed Otto’s Irresistible Dance spell!
* The black spawn ninja’s attack on the temple to Bahamut.
* Our assault on the Vraath Keep with the ettin and hobgoblins. We cleared it out!
* Meeting the elves & recruiting them in final fight with their owl mounts.
* Convincing folks at Drellen's Ferry to leave homes behind.
* Warklegnaw the forest giant became a friend of the party despite his advanced age and crotchety manner!
* Running AWAY from the hydra at the bridge of death.
* Sabotaging the Dwarf bridge.
* Eamon getting bad touched by the lich then having his corpse cooked inside his armor.
* Finding the NPC merchants we had ridden with and befriended murdered by Hobgoblin scum.
* Making a deal with and subsequently letting go the erinyes devil lurking in Azar Kuul's bedroom!

-DM Jeff

Wraith Form

Explorer
Goodman Games' Into the Wilds. Awesome adventure. If you haven't played it, go and do so immediately. Much support for it in the Goodman forums, too.

Pinotage

Explorer
Hmmm. Let's see which adventures I've actually played in 3.xe. Some were completed, but some only played part way through, as that's the nature of PbP which is how I do my gaming.

Sunless Citadel (played through the first half)
Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
Red Hand of Doom
Crypt of the Devil Lich (Goodman Games)
Age of Worms
Shackled City
Savage Tide (though played only briefly)
Death in Freeport (only played briefly)
Hollow's Last Hope (early stages)
Pathfinder: Burnt Offerings (early stages)

That's all I can remember at the moment. I think the ones that stand out the most there are Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, Age of Worms and Shackled City. Definitely games that I'll remember, most of them lasting years in PbP world with some good committed roleplayers. Crypt of the Devil Lich was good as well, and worth remembering. It was the first 'Tomb of Horrors' style adventure for 3.5e, and very good at that without being overly deadly.

I've read an awful lot more adventures than I've actually played.

Pinotage

Dog Moon

Adventurer
WLD and how it ended poorly.
RttToEE and how though almost everybody in the group attempted to DM it, half the time we never got past the moathouse and the other half, we never got past the entrance area.
SCAP and how we were an evil group in the beginning and had a totally fun time until we encountered a lair of giants we were supposed to bypass, but the DM doubled their hp, increased the attack and damage output and AC greatly and after three incursions into their lair and killing I think maybe 2 giants total no matter what sort of tactics we attempted, getting beat down by a group of DMPCs which finally ended it for us.
AoW. That adventure rocked. I don't think we'll ever forget the 15 year old girl Swordsage who annihilated almost everything and was the group's leader.

Hrm, I think that might be the only premade adventures we've ever done. If there were others, they didn't stick out well in my mind.

Draumr

First Post
The Crucible of Freya (Necromancer Games). It's the 3E equivalent of Keep on the Borderlands from my perspective. And of course even more goodness when you stir in the supplement & The Wizard's Amulet lead-in adventure freely available from Necromancer.

Remove ads