• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, what published 3e adventures are you always going to remember?

Glyfair

Explorer
Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil - Was excellent for as far as went got into it. It broke up when time commitments of the players got in the way (including two of the participants having a baby). One of the PCs and the drunken "paladin on the edge" actually had sort of a pseudo-romance building.

Sunless Citadel - Memorable and enjoyable. It was a group that was traveling long distances to play and broke up before they hit the second level.

"Chimes at Midnight" from Dungeon - Great villains, all of whom survived. Being able to have recurring villains is great, when they are interesting it's all the better.

Croesus

Adventurer
Psion said:
(Adventures you actually played or run, please. I want war stories, not reviews. :) )

NeMoran's Vault was a good, old-style adventure that my group enjoyed immensely. A great start to a campaign. And who can resist that cheesy cover art? :)

Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil was an adventure that had great potential, but was too big for its own good. Bogged down badly in the middle, but when we tried to skip much of the CRM, we got our heads handed to us. Many of the most memorable parts were the pieces the GM ad-libbed in. By the time we finished, we were heartily sick of it. Pretty much turned me off of mega-adventures (and their cousins, adventure paths).

Crysmalon

Explorer
I'll throw in those my players still talk about:
Rappan Athuk
Tomb of Abysthor
Many, many Dungeon Mag adventures, but notably "The Weavers," "And Madness Followed" and "Shut-In!"
Lost City of Barakus

I may not finish my current campaign until about the time the 4E PHB hits, but I'm thinking I'll continue with 3e for a bit and try running the Savage Tide AP or Rise of the RuneLords.

Grimstaff

Explorer
Crucible of Freya
Heart of Nightfang Spire
Castle Maure
Secret of Smuggler's Cove
Aerie of the Crow God
The Sunless Garden
Into the Wilds
Demons and Devils

physicscarp

Explorer
I can't believe that I'm the first one to mention this, but Of Sound Mind was one of my the most enjoyable experiences I've had as a DM. I still recall the look of revulsion on the players faces as they began to climb into the skeletal dragons gullet. And I really don't think these guys will ever be more terrified of horses, than the opening scene of that module. (Damn Piratecat for never righting the sequel! ;) )

Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho was my one experience with Goodman's DCC line, and it was fantastic. The alien-like quality of the second level as the very laws of reality seemed to break down was fantastic. And lemures were for once not a laughing stock, but a truly scary opponent.

Forgotten Forge, Queen with the Burning Eyes, Shadows of the Last War, Fallen Angel, Tensions Rising, Chimes at Midnight and the Banewarrens formed the campaign arc of my Eberron game and each one delivered on high adventure and fun.

And while it's not standard d20, XCrawl:Memphis Crawl from the original campaign book. One encounter says it all - exploding horse.

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Far and away, "Age of Worms" tops the list for me. Was it perfect? No. ("Three Faces of Evil:, I'm looking at you!), but it will definitely be one that will be talked about for years to come.

Other notable entries?
1) Savage Tide
2) Shackled City
3) "Age of Mortals" for Dragonlance. (Key of Destiny/SPectre of Sorrows/Price of Courage)
4) The Freeport trilogy
5) Pathfinder (IT's still early, but I'm blown away thus far, and there's LOTS of good buzz.)
6) "GOlden Palace of Zahadran" (From the DCC line.)

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil - Finished, and after only 2.5 years and 39 dead PCs!

Age of Worms - Having a lot of fun with this one right now. Prince of Redhand is a great adventure!

Savage Tide - Playing in this. I just found out my PC is half-celestial, half-fiend and destined to stop Demogorgon. How's that not cool?

The Sunless Citadel - Played this 3 times, so that counts for something. And gotta love Meepo!

I'm guessing Red Hand of Doom, the Pathfinder APs, Expedition to Ruins of Castle Greyhawk and Expedition to Castle Ravenloft will fit in here, too, once I play them. Though they'll most likely will be 4E translations by then....

Gilead

First Post
Speaking of the savage tide adventure path, does anyone know if there's any plans to release it collected in to a single book like the shackled city? I'd prefer to not track down a dozen issues of dungeon to run it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Gilead said:
Speaking of the savage tide adventure path, does anyone know if there's any plans to release it collected in to a single book like the shackled city? I'd prefer to not track down a dozen issues of dungeon to run it.
It's unlikely to happen, since it would have to be converted to 4E by WotC, since the Dungeon/Dragon rights have reverted to them.

Remove ads