• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, what published 3e adventures are you always going to remember?

Psion

Adventurer
Hobo said:
Personally, I'd like to see Freeport nominated, but I don't know that enough people played it for it to truly count.

What do you mean "nominate"? This is about your experience, boy! Tell us why you had a great time with it! :cool:

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
I've been with 3.5E (and 3.0) since they both got released, and I'm just now getting into the published adventures (!).

So yeah, my only war stories are:
- Rappan Athuk: running it now. The Players have proven that they don't like going in any logical direction; they love to explore. It's been fun so far, and they started at a higher level, so they believe it will be a cake walk. How wrong they are!

- World's Largest Dungeon: haven't scraped the surface of yet, but with some serious tweaking of Region A (giving it a more "survival horror" feel), it's been sweet.

- Urban Decay, from Dungeon Magazine (not sure which issue off the top of my head). About wererats in a city trying to take over the guilds. This adventure had some really cool encounters that just felt "different" from the standard 1st-level adventure fair. Highly enjoyable.

Things I want to run/finish running:
- Rappan Athuk (the PCs are going to fight Orcus!)
- World's Largest Dungeon (plan on making The World Eater [Region N] the "final boss")
- Red Hand of Doom (looks awesome!)
- Savage Tides
- Pathfinder (I've used the fluff of the goblins already, and it's been fun as hell!)

VirgilCaine

First Post
I'll remember the Sunless Citadel. It's the only published 3e scenario I've ever played in.

I'll remember how repetitive the encounters were near the end of the dungeon, how we kept running into a bugbear or goblins with just one or two more people or class levels than we could be absolutely sure of defeating without them getting a lucky hit in.

How the goblins and hobgoblins had boring, repetitive gear and tactics. No alchemical items or real spellcasters or class levels or anything.

How annoying making a save to avoid the twig blight's 1d4 hitpoint damage poison was.

How screwed up the stat blocks were. Apparently whoever wrote the module couldn't read the PHB.

How screwed up the maps were so that the rooms always had half squares at the edges.

How apparently, the module says that the goblins have no idea about how large the tribe they live with is, how many spellcasters/shamans/whatever they have or any similar basic information about their group.

The 1e adventures I was running had weird magic traps and obstacle that made me think on my feet trying to extrapolate things. I substituted the monsters and whatnot so I didn't have much trouble.

One of my friends wanted to try running a game and he chose this adventure...which induced much more headaches and confusion than converting an older edition module.

However, I will also remember the tense fight we had with the boss at the end of the dungeon. Also, how the plant-adventurer's natural armor stacked with their worn armor, making the Paladin almost unhittable. How my dwarf fighter fought off the summoned lion's grapple attempts twice with superb rolls.

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
Rappan Athuk

Tomb of Abysthor
Grey Citadel
Ravenloft I6 (obviously my conversion)
Morrick Mansion
Crucible of Freya
Mysterious Tower
Lost City of Barakus

No, I haven't been a fan of WOTC or the Dungeon AP's. I liked a lot of the Dungeon adventures I used, but my players never talked about them much.

I have a feeling they will talk about DCC 18 though.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, mostly some Monkey God adventures - All the King's Men, and At the Edge of Dreams top the list. Both have an edge of mystery that I like.

Pathfinder #1 is filled with goblin goodness. Manic, evil, vicious, goblin goodness. :cool:

The Auld Grump

buzz

Adventurer
Despite being riddled with errors, heavy railroading, and just plain wrong maps, I'd have to say that I'm having more fun with Eyes of the Lich Queen right now than I have any other published adventure I've played (though I can't say I've played all that many).

I did quite enjoy In the Belly of the Beast, though. And Expedition to Castle Ravenloft was also a hoot.

frankthedm

First Post
I'll never be able to forget all the badmouthing Heart of the NightFang Spire got. The girrallons that cant even fit in their areas when converted to 3.5 and the boss vampire wearing sunglasses were some of the highlights IIRC.

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=160841
Klaus said:
Here's what I learned from DMing this campaign killer:

- It's repetitive as hell, to the point of being boring;
- Gulthias has so many tactical advantages that you must go out of your way to play him too dumb/vain/disdainful to salughter the whole party;
- The maps can't accomodate a 3.5 game, because girallons now have a 10' space;
- Your fighter/rogues might as well not have any rogue levels, 'cause sneak attack is useless in this adventure;
- Unless you use the Complete Divine variant for Turn Undead (turn = 1d6 damage to all undead in a 30' radius, save for half), your cleric shouldn't do any turning at all, 'cause turned undead will only alert the others;
- Deadly adventures are good, but too deadly and they get frustrating.
- Let your players roll new characters in advance.

Last edited:

Remove ads