• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC So, when do the announce the July book? Guesses on what it'll be? 🤔

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm not a fan of the sidekicks rules preferring to just have them be half the level of the PCs to avoid them outshining them.
Of course given the game I ran I think I annoyed the Sorceror's player as I gave his wife who played the rogue her own band of bards instead of a magic item assuming she would turn them into her own thieves guild.
Maybe I should take another look at those rules.
If same-level sidekicks are actually outshining player characters, I would be shocked. They may have one or two nice features per specialization, but they are dramatically less powerful than player character classes. I'm running a lot of them in my games, and they're mostly good for dragging away unconscious characters and performing Medicine checks on them or distracting the enemy while the rogues position themselves for Sneak Attack.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
My prediction: We get the next book's announcement the week of May 3. D&D Beyond's 25% off sale ends on May 2. I expect they will have their sale done before putting up the pre-order for the new book, and are counting on people picking up other purchases at the same time.

That puts the announcement two weeks ahead of Van Richten's Guide to Irritating Ravenloft Traditionalists' release on May 18.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They said in their podcast it was for ESSENTIALS KIT. And was likely popular enough to reprint. And they changed sidekicks pretty heavily based on feedback from the KIT
It's quite possible if they have a kit or boxed set with new rules options they'd be in UA first
They tested a Level 1-20 option, but published a Level 1-5 box set. Methinks they had something else in mind, which they did eventually publish.
My prediction: We get the next book's announcement the week of May 3. D&D Beyond's 25% off sale ends on May 2. I expect they will have their sale done before putting up the pre-order for the new book, and are counting on people picking up other purchases at the same time.

That puts the announcement two weeks ahead of Van Richten's Guide to Irritating Ravenloft Traditionalists' release on May 18.
Van Richten's Guide was announced precisely three weeks before the release of Candlekeep, Tasha's about three weeks prior to the release of Icewind Dale, and Icewind Dale was announced a full month before Theros hit stores, so that would seem to align with that pattern-wise.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
If same-level sidekicks are actually outshining player characters, I would be shocked. They may have one or two nice features per specialization, but they are dramatically less powerful than player character classes. I'm running a lot of them in my games, and they're mostly good for dragging away unconscious characters and performing Medicine checks on them or distracting the enemy while the rogues position themselves for Sneak Attack.
Running a game where the PCs are all sidekicks would be a great way to reduce power levels of the game.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Running a game where the PCs are all sidekicks would be a great way to reduce power levels of the game.
I've sometimes wondered if it would be worthwhile to go through the classes, grab some of the class or archetype features, and then have people play a sidekick class with one of those features. Like, you play a Warrior, but you can choose a couple of Fighting Styles, or Rage or Smite. And that would be it. You wouldn't get any other powers from the class, but you'd have just enough to differentiate you from every other Warrior out there.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I've sometimes wondered if it would be worthwhile to go through the classes, grab some of the class or archetype features, and then have people play a sidekick class with one of those features. Like, you play a Warrior, but you can choose a couple of Fighting Styles, or Rage or Smite. And that would be it. You wouldn't get any other powers from the class, but you'd have just enough to differentiate you from every other Warrior out there.
I've had similar thoughts. Reward the some of the more powerful abilities as boons or cyphers or magic items. Could work.

Stormonu

Legend
Sidekicks can easily be better than 1st-3rd level characters (if I've been reading and applying the rules correctly), after that, they start to lag.

In our Rime group, my Hexblade, Yniboris, (4th level) has been outshined several times by Ein the Sharp-eyed, a sidekick scout. On the other hand, whenever Yniboris's other sidekick, Dan the Nought, wades into combat everybody - even me, starts to cringe. At some point, he's going to crit fail with that bow...

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Sidekicks can easily be better than 1st-3rd level characters (if I've been reading and applying the rules correctly), after that, they start to lag.
It depends on the specialization. The protector warrior is fantastic at those levels, no question. But no one is going to prefer a healer sidekick to an actual cleric, even if all the cleric does is heal.

They tested a Level 1-20 option, but published a Level 1-5 box set. Methinks they had something else in mind, which they did eventually publish.
There's sidekicks up to 16 or 17th level on dndbeyond.com

Edit:
And they say in the "Who We Are" blog it takes 12-14 months to make a book. TASHA'S CAULDRON OF EVERYTHING was released almost two years after the sidekick rules were playtested.

They're not playing 4D chess. Or trying to misdirect and mislead the fans. They said they were testing for the ESSENTIALS KIT and there's no good reason to think they're lying. It's much simpler to assume they did sidekicks for the one product they said they did, and decided to reprint them again later because they were well received.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads