"So where do Zenythri come from?" "Ya see, when a human and a... hmmm..."

Dozen

First Post
The title says most of it. Regarding Planetouched, the Zenythri are the only race in the bunch of whom is not clear where they actually come from - kind of ironic, since they're Usually Lawful, it'd make sense for them to keep records. Nowhere on the net I've found a reasonable explanation for their origins. Most Modrons or Inevitables can't have children(because, well, robots) and Zenythri have nothing to do with ants(also they are purple, intriguingly), so Formians are out too. I heard people mention the Mercanes, who are purple(got a bluish hue though), but haven't got much in common with their supposed offsprings aside from Alignment, really. I'd like to state if they trade with the residents of Limbo and the Abyss, they may not be always Lawful as they are said to be. And maybe I'm just weird, but I wouldn't consider them as partners, even less so than, say, a slaad, who most likely just rape whoever they feel like anyway. Then there are the Zenythri's resistances, Strength, Dexterity and Wisdom bonus, their Charisma penalty, bonus to Balance, and Intuit Direction, of all things(Are they made of magnets? Do they have a built-in compass? Why? What's going on here?)... in the end it doesn't add up.

Who are their ancestors? Is there another purple-skinned Lawful Neutral Outsider race I'm missing? Or is their origin supposed to be a mystery? Then I'd find it weird their entry doesn't bother to mention such a perfect plot hook material. That's Gold right there!

Last edited:

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Modrons, maybe? Some of them are humanoid, and I think the top guy can take human form.

(I have no idea, I've never even heard of Zenthri before)

Belzbet

First Post
Here is a quote from MM2:
"The planetouched discussed here are exceedingly rare.Chaonds are humans with slaadi blood, while zenythris are
descended from mysterious beings of law whose identity is
only guessed at."

They are intentionally leaving the origin of Zenythri mysterious (meaning it is upto the Dm to decide).

nijineko

Explorer
this is the most official comment i can find:

Zenythri - The exact origins of the Zenythri aren't as known as the origins of the other law-touched. The lineage of this bloodline is thought to go back to an ancient race, long since passed from the multiverse, descendants of bringers of order in the ancient primordial past. What distinguishes a Zenythri is that their skin is usually of a purplish or blue tint, in some ways they seem almost like statues in the smoothness of their features.

Shemeska

Adventurer
IIRC, Ed Bonny created them, and I think he might have mentioned the intended origin for them. But it has been some time, so don't quote me on this.

Edit: Apparently his original intent was to have them be the descendants of humans and mercanes, but he wasn't allowed to make the reference in their writeup.

Dozen

First Post
Here is a quote from MM2:
"The planetouched discussed here are exceedingly rare.Chaonds are humans with slaadi blood, while zenythris are
descended from mysterious beings of law whose identity is
only guessed at."

They are intentionally leaving the origin of Zenythri mysterious (meaning it is upto the Dm to decide).

I see. I must have missed that line! You've saved me from a potentially awkward moment, thank you!

this is the most official comment i can find:

IIRC, Ed Bonny created them, and I think he might have mentioned the intended origin for them. But it has been some time, so don't quote me on this.

Edit: Apparently his original intent was to have them be the descendants of humans and mercanes, but he wasn't allowed to make the reference in their writeup.

Glad to see so much good feedback! Thanks to the two of you, I finally have something to work with. I think I will run a campaign based on this one day!

Last edited:

Remove ads