D&D 5E So who is playing 5E?

JTorres

First Post
I'm a longtime D&D fan but I haven't played or run a game with any seriousness since around the time 3.5 debuted. Recently however, I gave 5th edition a try at GenCon and I instantly liked it. 5th edition has been a very easy edition to get into and I've put together a group of five players who are eager to play through a homebrew campaign I'm cooking up. We started with Lost Mines for a few sessions to get a feel for the system and then the group decided to make their own characters after I pitched a campaign idea to them. To start, I'm going to run some 5th ed adventures I bought at GenCon from Goodman Games and then transition to some stuff I'm currently writing. The party is heavy on spellcasters, a wizard (high elf), a bard (tiefling), and a warlock (drow), with a fighter (Human) and a cleric (Dragonborn) to round things out. We had a lot of fun playing Lost Mines the last few weeks and our new campaign kicks off next weekend. As far as house rules go, I'm allowing all races, classes, and sub-classes as well as most of the variant rules like feats and the human variant, etc. I'm also allowing some of the homebrewed backgrounds that I've seen here on En World. Until we run into a rule (or lack thereof) that really sours the game and requires a change, I'm going to roll with the system as written. Any major changes to my game will probably happen once the DMG hits and I review the options available.

fjw70

Adventurer
Currently running 6 PCs through The Lost Mines of Phandelver. Three of them just hit 4th and the others are 3rd level. This week they should be arriving at the mines.

I am not going the Tyranny of Dragons route next. I may pull in a few things from it but I am going to pull out some old 1e modules and convert on the fly. Only 13 days until the MM so that should help with the conversions.

We're converting from PF/3X to 5E. Have run 3 major multi-day sessions since the Starter Set came out.

Now, we're going to continue our Shackled City campaign.

House rules... We're in the process of converting some classes and feats from 3.x, PF, and Arcana Evolved (especially the giant race/class).

Also, using a lot of 3X/PF monsters (mostly just adjusting AC and Base Attack to 5E levels).

Also, allowing some 3X/PF spells and/or Warlock invocations.

Also, we're using the expanded weapon critical ranges of PF/3X (on the PC side, for now, but named NPCs will likely be able to use the expanded crit ranges, too).

Also, using the PF 25-point buy, instead of the 5E 27-point buy (about the equivalent of a 37-point buy in 5E).

remotenemesis

First Post
Playing Encounters at my FLGS every Wednesday now for the last 3 weeks and an impromptu con-game running through the Lost Mines of Phandelver. Lots of fun, love the system so far.

I'm thinking about running a 5e Greyhawk campaign in the future and a Tomb of Horrors one-off in either 1e or 5e.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
We're converting from PF/3X to 5E. Have run 3 major multi-day sessions since the Starter Set came out.

Now, we're going to continue our Shackled City campaign.

House rules... We're in the process of converting some classes and feats from 3.x, PF, and Arcana Evolved (especially the giant race/class).

Also, using a lot of 3X/PF monsters (mostly just adjusting AC and Base Attack to 5E levels).

Also, allowing some 3X/PF spells and/or Warlock invocations.

Also, we're using the expanded weapon critical ranges of PF/3X (on the PC side, for now, but named NPCs will likely be able to use the expanded crit ranges, too).

Also, using the PF 25-point buy, instead of the 5E 27-point buy (about the equivalent of a 37-point buy in 5E).

Nice, one of the big sellers of 5th Ed for me is ease of conversion, and variant/module happiness, blah, blah.

samursus

Explorer
Running LMoP for a group that runs between 4-6 players. They are my old group (started with BECMI) that kind of split up when 3/3.5 came out. Half of us loved 4e, the other half 3e... since I was DM and I refused to DM 3e anymore we just couldn't get excited about playing the same game.

We are all loving us some 5e. Haven't played this many sessions in a row with this group since the 90's!

We are planning to play HotDQ next.

PS: These guys are veteran players, and I am constantly amazed at how tough a half-dozen orcs or Redbrands are. So many almost TPK's! Lots of exciting battles!

Currently running two games. Our main game is a homebrew sandbox that we're slowly converting to the final rules. Also run three players through Night of the Walking Dead, which ended last week. We'll be starting Touch of Death soon.

Gundark

Explorer
Running my kids through the lost mines starter set adventure.

Hope to start a D&D campaign with my gaming group in a month once we finish up Firefly

Tormyr

Hero
Nice, one of the big sellers of 5th Ed for me is ease of conversion, and variant/module happiness, blah, blah.
We are playing an Age of Worms conversion that we started in April under the September playtest rules. We are playing a little more vanilla 5e than Hrothgar. We just started chapter 3 last Wednesday.

Remove ads