D&D 5E So who is playing 5E?

sgtscott658

First Post
I stopped playing back in 2007, then when I heard WoTC was coming out with a new edition, at first I was skeptical, then I looked at the new version and it looked like a version of D&D that I could recognize and want to play. Granted there a few things I dont like, but those things can be easily remedied. All in all I am happy with this new version of D&D.

My group did play today, a solid 6 hour session (well 5 hours if you count chow breaks and general chit chat) We are currently knee deep in HotDQ going on episode 5. Strangly, DM'ing really takes it outta ya IE boy do I feel mentally exhausted after every session. But its worth it.

Anyway, get yourself a group and play 5E!!

Haven't played in almost 20 years. I then heard the buzz about 5e and thought that now might be a good time to give it another go. I started talking to friends of mine and they all got excited and now we're going to our FLGS this Tuesday for our first game.

Once we get a feel for it after our long absences (anywhere from 15-20 years) we're going to start a monthly campaign that I've already begun to write. By the time MM and DMG are out, we should be ready. I cannot wait.

Lancelot

Adventurer
Running two 5e campaigns.

A fortnightly campaign which is a blend of Murder in Baldur's Gate (revised for my homebrew world), combined with elements of Lost Mines of Phandelver. For example, the party is working for the "nobles/merchants" faction in MiBG... so, when they get assigned to bust a location owned by the "thieves guild" faction of MiBG, I crack out the bandit hideout from LMoP. This is working out pretty well so far. The MiBG module is remarkably flexible and full of intrigue, but my Sunday group loves a good dungeon crawl from time-to-time. That's where LMoP comes in handy. I can just grab a location, and use it as a one-off. There are no connecting threads between the chapters of LMoP in my campaign; it's all tied into the overall plot of Murder in Baldur's Gate.

For my main weekly campaign, though, I've gone old-school. The party are members of an imperial expedition to explore lost ruins in the desert. Sort of a cross between classic Victorian tomb-robbing, and the more explosive action of Indiana Jones. The expedition leader is a swaggering Errol Flynn type, and is a renowned hero. The PCs are basically just the hired help at 1st level. The idea is that, as they grow in competence, they may come to equal or surpass their over-confident mentor. Maybe he'll be proud of their growing abilities. Maybe he'll be envious. Maybe he'll need to lose them somewhere in the desert before they steal all of his glory...

I can't really mention the names of the modules I'm converting for this one, but they're all Old School (1e/2e). Could be a bit of Desert of Desolation in there, maybe a touch of Dark Sun... and, given my love of all things Planescape, there's always a solid chance of ending up in the old Dragon magazine module Ruins of Andril and sending them through a portal into the Outer Planes. Generally speaking, though, this one's a sandbox (in more ways than one). Anything could happen.

What I know for certain, though, is this: I'm loving 5e from the outset, more than I loved either 3e or 4e. It feels right, somehow. I've played (and enjoyed) a ton of 3e and 4e, but this version feels a bit like coming home.

redwizard99

First Post
We played 3e ten years ago, move to 3.5 and then pathfinder. The original group got 5 players and me as the DM, and now we are only down to 3 players for 5e.
We are playing board games from FFG this year, but everyone is so excited about the launch of 5e.

They have all made their characters, one human valor bard, one woodelf two weapon fighter and one tielfing warlock. We will start our session next week and I am using the 3e FRCS as reference.

Everyone is happy with the various options they got for classes from the PHB.
For me as DM, 5e is quite good on balance, except for a few points:
1) They remove the charge in combat rules, but every range attack and spell from 3e gets the same range. It makes melee character harder to attack archer or mage. (I will just add back a simple charge)
2) The saving throw never improves if it is not in your class table. It seems there will be a problem when the DC of spells go up to DC18+ later. I know it is the same problem from 3e, but it is still there.
3) Cantrip at will for damage output. ar...I don't know, it is not broken but I just don't like the favor of it. And the last upgrade at 17 levels to four die damage seems over the top...but since it is not broken, I will just leave it for now.

Not at the moment. I'm rejoining my group tonight after a 6 1/2 month baby hiatus. The guy currently DM'ing is keen to keep running his 3.5E RttToEE campaign for the time being. So we'll still be playing that for a few more months at least.

I think we'll switch to 5E after that campaign though. The 2 DM's in the group (me and the guy currently DM'ing) have both bought the Starter Set and a PHB and another player has bought the PHB. I've also bought HotDQ. So it will just be a matter of when we switch over. For now, I can at least look forward to just being a player in a game for the first time in over 10 years.

Sadras

Legend
Currently playing 5E in a modified TToEE set near Stallanford/Penhaligon (Mystara), after the playtest PCs campaign run ended with a TPK. The failure of the previous PCs resulted in the life loss of over 120 knights and squires and the release of Zuggtmoy - they messed up rather badly.
Our new campaign timelines begins 3 weeks later.

Last edited:

wedgeski

Adventurer
All 5E: 1 face to face (Phandelver), 1 online/video chat (Phandelver, going surprisingly well given that it's my first experience doing that kind of thing), and 1 PBEM here on the boards.

Liking the system a lot, from both a player's and DM's perspective. Need that Monster Manual, though, before I can put any serious creative juice into a campaign.

No house rules. I make it a policy to put significant time into the game before doing that.

Someone needs to tweet a link to this thread to Mike Mearls.. very positive

I'm just finishing up some Scarlet Heroes action with my kids and looking to go onto the Starter set from there

Bumamgar

First Post
I just finished DM'ing Lost Mines and now the party (5th level) is starting to explore a converted Ghost Tower of Inverness.

I also run a bi-weekly VTT session that is partway through Episode 3 of HotDQ.

About once a month I DM Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle for my kids, although with school starting back up, it's been harder to find the time.

I've already pre-ordered the MM, DMG and Rise of Tiamat. The MM can't get here soon enough :) Really enjoying 5e quite a bit.

RSKennan

Explorer
I was running a solo adventure for a Dragonborn Paladin, using the site of the Caves of Chaos from the playtest with updated stats for monsters whenever possible. It was an extraction mission; another Paladin had gone in on a secret mission and had died. The PC had get his body back and bring it home for resurrection (inside a bag of holding), and possibly complete the paladin's (unknown) mission.

I kept the mission vague because the paladin was a follower of a Draconic God of Knowledge who hoarded information. You had to earn the right to be informed, and low level clerics and paladins have to go on a few missions before they earn that right.

The adventure was going well until the paladin player decided to dispense with stealth and diplomacy and start trying to hack and slash his way through the dungeon. He actually leveled from 1st to 4th, but died when he charged an owlbear he could only hear in the darkness. Ironically, when he leveled to 4th, I let him look at the map for one minute as a gift of insight from his god, and I clearly marked the location of the dead paladin's body. He went to the wrong place, and was in a dead end cave when he died.

For anyone who is curious, the original dead Paladin was tracking one of the "Forbidden Scrolls" which individually contained slightly overpowered Arcane spells of levels 1-9, which were part of a greater ritual to do something world-changing. The church both wanted them for themselves, and wanted to prevent them from falling into the wrong hands.

Last edited:

I too am running a Greyhawk campaign beginning in Hommlet. I am using the original T1 module that I converted. In addition, I have created over 30 pages of custom material and additional adventure content including two nearby adventure locations and a few single/ smallish encounter areas. Sprinkled over everything are the NPCs in the area with their nefarious plans, a timetable for those plans, several different quests to be undertaken, and a topped off with a random rumor table.

The party thus far:

A human paladin
A dragonborn ranger
A lightfoot Halfling rogue
A human fighter
A mountain dwarf warlock

We are playing this at my FLGS on Tuesday nights. Only one session so far mostly finishing character creation and some interaction and quest collecting in the village. We shall start the proper adventuring tomorrow night.

No house rules at the moment except for monsters and magic items that I made up. Will decide after this campaign if any house rules are needed and what they are. :)

Remove ads