D&D 5E So who is playing 5E?

Murkmoldiev

First Post
My group is converted from Pathfinder over to 5E in whole cloth. Once I read the starter set I took my entire head high stack of 3.5 and pathfinder stuff and boxed it up. Then all my 1st and 2nd ed stuff took center stage on the gaming shelf.

We're in the middle of a campaign, but I managed to convince them that the benefits of 5E outweighed the headache of conversion.
I gave them a magic item and a hero point each to take the sting out of losing their old guys.

Had a group of four that played through the entirety of Lost Mine in 4 big Sunday sessions.

At the end of the first game I realized I didnt have a headache. And Once they players realized that they had not had as much fun since 2nd ed in high school, the worry about not having 3000 feats to sift through after leveling went away.

Then the PHB came out and I let them make new characters as the new campaign was going to take place in my brutal gritty Greyhawk home world.

We played everything in Defiance in Phalan - But set in Leukish.
Then The Garden of Evil and Diambeths Delving from Fate of Istus
Followed by Chadranthers Bane - where they still are !

( I have conversions if anyone wants them ) It was Very Very easy to convert 1st ed modules.
I looked at converting a few 3.5 / PF ones but the headaches started coming back.

They are now - 4th level Half elf Priest of Pelor
6th level Halfling Arcane Trickster
6th level Human Envoker
6th level Half orc Fighter/Monk.
2nd level Human Barbarian.

And WINNING !

Next adventures will be Ancient Blood ( Dungeon 20 ) And Prism Keep ( Dungeon 46 IIRC ) .

johnmarron

Explorer
So, a little background. I played AD&D 1E from 1978 to 1981 or so, quitting before 2E came out. After that, I didn't play D&D of any kind until 4E came out (an absence of about 25 years). I played and ran 4E for a couple of years when it came out, but decided the heavy focus on gridded combat wasn't for me. I didn't follow the 5E playtest at all, but decided to check out the Basic PDF when it came out, and really liked what I saw.

Right now I'm playing in a Starter set game, which will probably go on to HotDQ. I've been running a Dungeon World game for a bunch of people who have either never played RPGs befor eor who hadn't played in decades using the Innistrad setting (Gothic Horror) from M:tG, and the players in that game just voted to switch it over to 5E to check the new rules out, so I'll be running that game starting next week.

I'm one of those people that feel like 5E is like an alternate history version of 3E (i.e., it feels like WOTC went back to AD&D and applied some modern game design and streamlining).

As a person who hasn't been very interested in D&D over the years, I'm happy to be enjoying the current version of the game quite a bit.

John

TheRustyOne

Explorer
Let's see....

Tuesday is a group of 5, running Halls of Bone from Free RPG day, and moving from that to a converson of 2nd Editions "Return to the keep", set in the Scarred Lands.

Wedneday is encounters, usually 5-7 at the table any given week.

Saturdays I have a home game that had just started Shattered Star (about three weeks in) and we are converting it to Pathfinder.

Saturday nights its D&D Expeditions, where I got to be a very poor player this week.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
We're not at the moment, but that's only because we already agreed to run through Star Wars: Edge of the Empire - The Jewel of Yavin prior to Gen Con. We have about two - three more sessions of that and then I'm taking back the reigns and will be running Hoard of the Dragon Queen (and The Rise of Tiamat once it comes out).

No one has made characters yet, but I've already started my prep by reading through Hoard of the Dragon Queen. It looks like it has enough wiggle room in the way the parts are laid out that I can easily indulge my whims with a few tangentially-related side adventures.

GregoryOatmeal

First Post
Once I read the starter set I took my entire head high stack of 3.5 and pathfinder stuff and boxed it up.
Huh...I'm totally sold on 5E but I'm getting a ton of mileage out of Pathfinder. I'm running the Pathfinder Kingmaker AP in 5E. I just finished the first book. I also bring Pathfinder Bestiaries 1-3 to the table. I'm planning on implementing the entire kingdom building rules from PF into 5E. An outsider walking by the table would be really confused by the mix of PF products and 5E PHBs.

I completed the original Ravenloft while the basic PDF came out (we upgraded in the middle from the final playtest - players didn't upgrade their classes). Besides building Strahd I didn't really put any effort into converting anything. Again I kept all the bestiaries for all the pretty pictures and inspiration for ideas.

I'm also about to complete The Lost Mines of Phandelver as a player. That was tons of fun.

I sort of wing it and use a ton of AD&D and PF stuff in my game. It seems to work great. I turn down armor class a bit and calculate it in my head based on what I think their natural AC, dex, and wearing armor is. Weapons are a similar process. When in doubt I make monsters slightly easier than they are in PF. I haven't figured out how I'm going to run the magic item economy connected to city building yet...

darjr

I crit!
Running encounters. The flgs owner keeps mumbling he needs more GMs. I'm running an oversized table as it is.

arjomanes

Explorer
Tropical island sandbox game for up to 12 rotating players, converted from Sword & Wizardry/LotFP. Right now they're on an island homebrewed with elements from Paizos Serpent Crown, KQs Wasted West and the pirates from Skull & Shackles AP. Depending on the players choices they could end up on the Razor Coast, Isle of Dread, Saltmarsh/Dunwater, or Savage Tide. I'm really happy with how conversions are working. I'm using the 1e MM, Fiend Folio, and 2e Mystara Monstrous Compendium, cross-referenced now with the Basic DM guide pdf.

Last edited:

pedro2112

First Post
I run AL play at a FLGS weekly. I also am DMing LMoP for a group of guys I have gamed with since the late 80s. Finally, I am playing in a homebrew FR campaign based out of Neverwinter. Haven't enjoyed D&D this much since 2E.

Remove ads