D&D 5E So who is playing 5E?

practicalm

Explorer
I'm running a 5th edition campaign that started with the playtest and we've converted to the PHB rules when they came out. Home-brewed world using some converted adventures modified to fit into the world. Party is messing with Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil right now which I've modified to fit into my world history.

Group is large (youth and adults at church) but not everyone shows up and some have dropped out
Characters are:
Wood Elf Fey Pact Warlock
Hill Dwarf Ancient Oath Paladin
Half Orc Barbarian (probably Eagle Totem but he hasn't converted yet)
Wood Elf Cleric Tempest Domain
Human Ranger
Human Spy (Rogue Assassin)
Dragonborn Druid of the Moon
Human Fighter TWF (Champion)
Lightfoot Halfling Wizard (Evocation)
High Elf Bard of Valor

Not everyone shows up so I think the most we've had at one time was 9 but that's rare.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
We're in month 14 of our playtest campaign, as everyone slowly converts over to the PHB, and I convert monsters to the new monster math. Having a blast. My favorite version of D&D.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
I've seen that thread. What exactly is surfarcher's data analysis? What is it used for?
Surfarcher is deriving formulas to build monsters as a function of CR and size. Still hasn't gotten to the damage output yet, though.

With those formulas in hand, one could (hopefully) smoothly rebuild a monster from another edition.

Grainger

Explorer
So who is playing 5E? What campaigns are you using? What adventures are you playing in or DM'ing? What kind of party's are ya running? Are you having Fun? Any house rules you are using?

I'm running a game with my partner and nearly-6-year-old child, with a home-brew campaign world. Basically, we're loving it. My partner and I are long-time BECMI players (with a bit of 2e thrown in); but we haven't played in anger for at least 10 years. My daughter, obviously, is completely new to roleplaying.

Because we're old-school, we have no issues with Theatre of the Mind - that's how we've always rolled (in old-school, I played under 8 DMs and never saw a miniature in play!). We have no finicky rules questions; we just get on with it, and 5e plays pretty much as we used to play. The main difference is that 5e is a bit more tactical, due to the powers like Second Wind. Also, the ability to spend Hit Dice to heal means that the party can go on longer forays into the wilderness before it runs out of resources. That said, while the game may not be as dangerous as 1st-level BECMI, it's still plenty deadly enough if the players aren't careful, at least at 1st level.

As far as house rules go, I don't have any, except some modifications for fluff. My 5e game has a pseudo-Norman setting, and as such I'm only allowing Chain-based armour (medium and heavy) and leather (not strictly historical, but for balance). For other armour types, these will just be better quality leather or chain (e.g. plate will be renamed "good quality chain", and will have the same cost and AC benefit as RAW). So, the game will have the same mechanics as RAW, but the fluff will make more sense in the setting. I'm very loathe to change rules until we have hundreds of hours of play under our belts. The only tweaks I might do will be to (possibly) ban certain player-character races (probably Drow, and possibly Tieflings and Draconians), as I'm not sure they will fit into my game world. That said, I like the relaxed feel of 5e; I don't worry that missing a rule will mess everything up.

I'm looking forward to the MM, but I'm a bit concerned that there's far too much fluff for each monster. I like the old two-paragraph BECMI approach to (most) monsters, where the DM fits them in where he/she sees fit. Not the "you must have this monster as a minion of X monster" approach of 5e. I know you can ignore this (and I will), but it's still a pain to filter out all the "you must do it this way" stuff in modern D&D. So if anything, I'm finding 5e too prescriptive!

We've done (I think) four sessions, and the PCs are now 2nd level (much to by daughter's delight; a power gamer in the making?). Overall, we're (so far) very impressed with 5e.

Edit: I'm probably going to run a game with some friends fairly soon, set in the same world, if we can agree a regular schedule for games (it's always difficult when you have jobs and kids; gone are the days when we could play for 8 hours straight twice a week...).

Last edited:

WayneW

First Post
I'm playing some 5e on Roll20. Currently playing in a ToD campaign (HotDQ right now) and we will also be stating a 5e conversion of I6-Ravenloft starting right after Halloween which we will squeeze in when everyone has time. I'm also playing with another group and we have almost wrapped up LMoP and then we will probably start a homebrew 5e campaign. 5e is great fun, but I kind of missed out on everything between 1e and 5e.

Also, I'm running a homebrew version of rpgKIDS (included some of the 5e mechanics to make the eventual transition to D&D easier) with my wife, 4 year old daughter, and 2 year old son. They are currently trying to track down a evil wizard that has been turning folks into frogs!

Last edited:

Grainger

Explorer
I'm running a game I'm calling Tome Raider, where the PCs eventually will learn to dungeon delve into books to find secrets hidden within. So far we're just two sessions in, and they're about to find the library that will hopefully be the central focus of the campaign.

What, you mean they actually go into the books, which contain the dungeons? If so, great idea - I might "borrow" that, at some point (I wouldn't do a whole campaign around it)... a really good way to emphasise the idea that "books are worlds unto themselves" to my daughter.

Last edited:

Remove ads