D&D 5E So why are you buying 5th edition?

Li Shenron

Legend
Honestly, I'm pretty tired of buying new editions waiting for classes and other things to come out that already exist in other games. It's not dissimilar to buying a new console, the lack of backwards compatibility has now become a major issue with me. I will buy 5th edition, but for collection purposes only. Starting over is extremely annoying. 3rd edition had prestige classes to make pretty much whatever you could think of. 4th edition has multi classing and hybrid classing, pathfinder has archetypes. I can't understand the logic of wanting to begin again, unless 5th edition had full compatibility with all these systems allowing a full range of options from the beginning instead of the what.. 10 or 11 classes that are standard?

I didn't buy 3.5 (except Unearthed Arcana) and I didn't buy 4e, so I'm not tired of buying :D But I will buy 5e only if I think I like it, even tho I won't necessarily play it.

The premises of 5e at the moment sound very promising to me, but so did for 3.5 and 4e, and after playing them for a while (more than half a year 3.5, just a bunch of nights 4e) I decided they weren't for me.

Tallifer

Hero
Hopefully I will not have to buy any books, because hopefully a subscription to the Dungeons & Dragon Insider will give me all the rules, all the articles, the builders, the virtual tabletop and a database. I am also counting on still having the Fourth Edition stuff available to me on-line.

Gods be good, I beg of you.

Alarian

First Post
Unless it ends up relying heavily on 4e, I will most likely buy the core books just to check it out. After that, it will depend entirely on what my opinion is of it. Either way though I won't be buying Spat books, it would only be adventure modules and campaign setting types of things. All the spat books do is destroy any hope of balance.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
If it is anything like the last two editions, there will be a ton of goofy claims made about it, many of them contradictory. I'll need to buy a copy just to find out the truth. :D

DMKastmaria

First Post
I don't really understand people who have a rulesystem who they see as "the ideal". That's why I can play 1e/2e for a change of pace (and have in the past year) but I could never join the OSR community. I just can't summon enough devotion from my RPG choice to stop experimenting or stop looking for a new way of doing things, even if it challenges my assumptions of how an RPG should work.

Experimenting and looking for new ways of doing things is a major preoccupation of the OSR, at least, but not solely as it's represented in the blogosphere and publishing.

The OSR isn't standing still. It's exploring the road not taken, starting with the older games as a basis. Just largely ignoring much of the "rpg theory" of the past couple of decades.

ferratus

Adventurer
Experimenting and looking for new ways of doing things is a major preoccupation of the OSR, at least, but not solely as it's represented in the blogosphere and publishing.

The OSR isn't standing still. It's exploring the road not taken, starting with the older games as a basis. Just largely ignoring much of the "rpg theory" of the past couple of decades.

Eh... my experience lurking in places like dragonsfoot and OSR blogs is somewhat different than that.

Even the OSR people lurking around the 5e forums seem to be largely saying "no" to new ideas, and asking for old stuff to be ressurected, rather than proposing new ideas.

I do see new ideas from people who swing towards the OSR but play other editions of D&D, but not those who cleave to the OSR exclusively.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases