D&D 5E So why are you buying 5th edition?

Dice4Hire

First Post
Honestly, I'm pretty tired of buying new editions waiting for classes and other things to come out that already exist in other games. It's not dissimilar to buying a new console, the lack of backwards compatibility has now become a major issue with me. I will buy 5th edition, but for collection purposes only. Starting over is extremely annoying. 3rd edition had prestige classes to make pretty much whatever you could think of. 4th edition has multi classing and hybrid classing, pathfinder has archetypes. I can't understand the logic of wanting to begin again, unless 5th edition had full compatibility with all these systems allowing a full range of options from the beginning instead of the what.. 10 or 11 classes that are standard?

For me there are always two questions to ask before I buy a new game.

1. Will I enjoy playing it?
2. Will I find people to play it with?

If the answer for 5E is yes to both, I will buy it.

#2 was a no for Pathfinder, which is why I do not play it.

DMKastmaria

First Post
Eh... my experience lurking in places like dragonsfoot and OSR blogs is somewhat different than that.

Even the OSR people lurking around the 5e forums seem to be largely saying "no" to new ideas, and asking for old stuff to be ressurected, rather than proposing new ideas.

I do see new ideas from people who swing towards the OSR but play other editions of D&D, but not those who cleave to the OSR exclusively.

I don't do Dragonsfoot.

How many of the over 400 OSR blogs have you followed?

How many of the over 200 for pay, non rulebook, OSR products have you read?

Not to mention the ton of free products, constantly being released.

What percentage of OSR folk "Cleave to the OSR exclusively?" And how did you arrive at that number?

DMKastmaria

First Post
P.S. I haven't suggested any new ideas in 5e threads at all. Because mostly, it's 4e folk suggesting designs along 4e lines and I see no reason to jump in those conversations, until the public playtest docs are released and I can see what we're dealing with.

And Old Schoolers are constantly asking about old stuff being released. You can expect more of that, as we've been encouraged by the AD&D re-releases. :)

DMKastmaria

First Post
At this point in time, I'm mainly just interested in finding out what they're proposing. Once I find out more about how it plays, and if I like it, I'll invest into it.

If they have a lot of their stuff available through DDI, then all the better (good thing I didn't give in to the urge to cancel my account; I was starting to drift away from 4E for a while now).

I just wish I played some editions before 3E, so I have a basis of comparison on how this new edition/iteration compares. But oh well.

Constantcon. Several old school DM's are running "Open Tables" on Google+ hangouts.

ferratus

Adventurer
I don't do Dragonsfoot.

How many of the over 400 OSR blogs have you followed?

How many of the over 200 for pay, non rulebook, OSR products have you read?

Not to mention the ton of free products, constantly being released.

What percentage of OSR folk "Cleave to the OSR exclusively?" And how did you arrive at that number?

As I said, "my experience with".

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'll be buying scores, if not hundreds of 5e books!

But then, that's because I own a game store.

Why would I take them home, then? Because I like to move forward, and I find that (most of the time) I like the new.

Strangely, I never go back. For instance, I never played 2nd Ed ever again when 3.0 came out in spite of not being a big fan, and I've not played 3.5 again since 4e came out. I'm somewhat interested in trying Pathfinder (it sells well, people seem to like it) but I'm a DM with very little time to prep and I don't suppose it's much lighter on prep time than 3.5 which took more work than I've got time for. (What with wife, kids, business to run).

jbear

First Post
I haven't bought anything yet.

I'm mildly interested. Growing more curious the more I hear.

I'll run a playtest. Give my opinions. And based on those impressions I will/wont buy 5e

Spinachcat

First Post
Why buy it? It's a new RPG and RPGs are really cheap!

Dollars to hours, RPGs are incredibly cheap entertainment.

If I only play 20 hours of 5e and spend $100 on books, that's $5/hour.
And if I have so little interest in 5e, I can sell the books on eBay for half price which doubles my value instantly.

I've played at least 200 hours of 4e, probably more, so my investment to value ratio is $1/hour with the books I've bought.

Compare that to most other entertainment.

Remove ads