D&D 5E So why are you buying 5th edition?

malkav666

First Post
I hate to say it,

But 5e will be the first D&D that I do not buy at release not caring what its all about. I will borrow a copy (or just plant down at my FLGS and read it) and make sure I am not getting another 4e before I spend money. Thats not meant as a snipe at folks who like 4e. It just means that despite a few new ideas and strengths within 4e, it was very disappointing to me as a continuation of the game Dungeons and Dragons. When 4e was released I bought it out of brand loyalty and I tried very hard to like it. I just assumed it would grow on me. It did not. Now I think 5e has the potential to be good. And I am willing to judge it on its own merits and flaws. But there are too many great versions/variants of D&D out there to support ones that are sub par. I won't be supporting 5e at all unless it is something I really like.

WOTC burned my wallet for like 200 bucks around the release of 4e just on loyalty alone. The burn has healed over the last few years, but the scar remains. I am willing to look at 5e and try not to judge it based on my feelings of 4e, but the rose colored glasses are off and in a stomped little mess on the floor where WOTC and D&D are concerned. There is no more "this is D&D and I should support it!" goodwill left in my poor burnt wallet. If I buy 5e it will be because it is AWESOME, goodwill purchases are finished.

Awesome is the bar. If 5e can't leap over it, then it will remain on the shelf, and my dollars will remain soft and snug in my wallet.

love,

Malkav's Wallet

Last edited:

Rhenny

Adventurer
I will buy the core because, like others, I like experimenting with new systems even if I never play them.

In addition, since I grew up gaming in the 70s and 80s, the D&D brand means something to me. I've read and played many other systems, including RuneQuest, I.C.E., Stormbringer, GURPS, WEG Star Wars, Pathfinder, Warhammer Fantasy RPG, and others - but when it comes down to it, I only get that "special " fuzzy feeling when I play a D&D game. It may be psychological, nostalgia, but it is the truth.

I also like online support of Character Builder, Monster Creator, Compendium, and VTT. If 5e is supported by all of this, I'll be very happy.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Honestly, I'm pretty tired of buying new editions waiting for classes and other things to come out that already exist in other games. It's not dissimilar to buying a new console, the lack of backwards compatibility has now become a major issue with me. I will buy 5th edition, but for collection purposes only. Starting over is extremely annoying. 3rd edition had prestige classes to make pretty much whatever you could think of. 4th edition has multi classing and hybrid classing, pathfinder has archetypes. I can't understand the logic of wanting to begin again, unless 5th edition had full compatibility with all these systems allowing a full range of options from the beginning instead of the what.. 10 or 11 classes that are standard?

Unless it's made of pure AWESOME I wont even be purchasing 5E sight unseen.

I will play in someone's game and if the experience is slightly more than MEH then no sale. If I come away with the feeling that I'll be abe to use all of my 3.5 material, my 1E modules and my Pathfinder stuff with minimal hassle and its a good fun game, I'll pick up the core rulebooks.

Otherwise I'm not going to give it the chance that I gave 4E at all. I'll just stick with the date that brought me, Pathfinder.

quindia

First Post
I'll buy the core books regardless. but I like the sound of all of the vague stuff we've heard so far. I DON'T like 4E, so I'm ready to move on. I will be more selective in buying the expansion books - I have two feet of 4E books taking up space on a shelf that I will never use again.

I've bought the core books of every edition (aside from 2nd and OD&D) and most a lot more.

I like D&D.

Each version of D&D had things I really liked about.
Each version had things I didn't care for.

I love options. That is one of my main reasons for loving 3rd. I loved the Feat Train, the 1000 Prestige classes etc. I also love flexibility in a game.

D&D was the first RPG I played, and I played it almost exclusively (because of no other choices in my area to be true) and enjoyed it for nearly 8 years. It is a sentimental thing.

I like reading game books - even the textbook like dry ones (I enjoy reading Hero rules for example).

I figure I'll enjoy D&D Next. All of the info that has come out is showing me design decision that I would like. If the game looks anything like what they are saying they are doing, I'm sure I'll like it.

I don't currently play D&D right now.

No reason not to try the new version when it come out.

PeacemakerSG

Banned
Banned
I'll perform due diligence on what the new edition contains before buying the book(s). I currently have no group to play in therefore spending money on a potentially to-go-unused book makes little sense.

I'm always interested in innovation, and like so many of us, we often buy things for the sake of spending time with our hobby. However as a 1st Ed initiate, I have found D&D to become convoluted to the point of becoming unenjoyable. But people (younger generations) tend not to play the way we used to. They have less creativity, world conceptualization, and limited patience to enjoy a world. In short, they try to "win" D&D and do so quickly, which as you know, is not how the game works.

So I have low expectations of a new system which will likely cater to that manner of play, much as 4e does. But I'll be pleased as punch if it works out for us all.

Last edited:

So new generation D&D is worst than your generation D&D? Very good to hear...

I'll perform due diligence on what the new edition contains before buying the book(s). I currently have no group to play in therefore spending money on a potentially to-go-unused book makes little sense.

I'm always interested in innovation, and like so many of us, we often buy things for the sake of spending time with our hobby. However as a 1st Ed initiate, I have found D&D to become convoluted to the point of becoming unenjoyable. But people (younger generations) tend not to play the way we used to. They have less creativity, world conceptualization, and limited patience to enjoy a world. In short, they try to "win" D&D and do so quickly, which as you know, is not how the game works.

So I have low expectations of a new system which will likely cater to that manner of play, much as 4e does. But I'll be pleased as punch if it works out for us all.

Remove ads