• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, you roll 6 18's.

two

First Post
You are playing in a new campaign with a great GM who is rather stringent.

You can either use a 28 point buy, or roll 4d6 (6 times) and drop lowest.

And take what you get.

You decide to roll (in front of the GM).

You get 6 18's.

1) Do you play the character?
2) If you do, what class/race? And why?

Last edited:

JoeGKushner

First Post
If the character has been rolled in front of the GM, no big deal.

I'd probably play something that requires a lot of high ability scores to get the most out of like a monk or paladin (or swordsage.)

Nope...I enjoy having a reasonably low stat or two to help define the character, and I know that not a single soul would ever believe me that I actually rolled all 18s.

Now, if this was AD&D, I might decide to take the character as is and play a paladin, because they would actually make the stat requirements!

The Cardinal

First Post
1) yes

2) dwarf, Duskblade - or half-orc barbarian4/fighter8/ranger8 - or half-orc paladin
Why? Because the race would give me one or two abilities at "only" 16, which would still be way above common expectations, and one solid 20 - and because they would kick serious ass :D

Aus_Snow

First Post
two said:
You get 6 18's.
No. No, you don't. But uh. . . ooooookay. I'll play. :\

1) Do you play the character?
Of course. If you "take what you get" (and it seems that you do here) then you um. . . take what you get. I fail to see anything about *this* stage in patricular of the hypothetical that adds to the overall wrongness.

2) If you do, what class/race? And why?
Whatever I already felt like playing, ability scores aside. 6 18s (though this will literally *never* happen) wouldn't change a thing on this front, I'm quite certain. Why? That's the way I do things.

sjmiller

Explorer
Aus_Snow said:
Whatever I already felt like playing, ability scores aside. 6 18s (though this will literally *never* happen) wouldn't change a thing on this front, I'm quite certain. Why? That's the way I do things.
While it is statistically improbable, in the general sense, to roll 6 rolls of 18, it is not impossible. It is still possible, though highly unlikely. So, to say that it "will literally *never* happen" is a bit of an exaggeration.

Ulrick

First Post
Yes.

And then because my character is screwy anyway I'd play a Gnome (Deep Gnome if allowed) fighter/wizard/rogue/cleric/sorcerer/bard/ranger/druid/warmage/duskblade/ and so on...

In 1st Edition, I would play a fighter until I reached around 5th level or so, then I would switch to a thief. And after about 5 or 6 levels as a thief I would take up Druidic studies and become a BARD.

Zander

Explorer
I would use the six 18's to create a nonstandard race/class combo such as:
- half-orc wizard or sorcerer
- half-orc bard
- dwarf bard
- halfling barbarian
- gnome barbarian

If your DM allows non-core races and classes, you might want to try something really challenging such as:
- neanderthal swashbuckler
- centaur rogue

With your significantly above average stats, the penalties built into the game that discourage certain combinations will be offset allowing you to play those combos without being underpowered.

Last edited:

Kurashu

First Post
My friend rolled 2 or 3 18s for a character once. That was the sweetest wizard ever.

But if I rolled 6 18s, I'd probably ask the DM if I could spread the wealth around. 6 18s is just far too much for one person. Besides, the clumsy, gruff dwarf is fun to play.

Remove ads