So You're Just Not "Feeling It" for 5e - What ARE you excited about?

darjr

I crit!
I'm excited for 5e. I'm running encounters starting in August.

But I'm also excited for 'The One Ring'! It's my current campaign and we'll probably be running it for a while.

Stormonu

Legend
I hopped off of D&D shortly after 4E. Pathfinder had my attention for some time, then Star Wars, and a bit of 40K.

Right now, I'm trying to keep up with M&M, but what I'm really excited about is my Nine Necrmoncers and Crimson Throne campaign worlds. They're two game worlds that I've been designing with no particular game system in mind, and I think that's made them really interesting in how they have been developing.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I'm looking forward to the HERO System's Fantasy Hero Complete. There's also been a nice looking spell companion come out. From the quick glance I've had it look's to have been done much more descriptive fluff text with the crunch taking a back seat, making it more appealing for me.

I'm interested. What's this HERO thing all about?

Is it Dungeon World? Because I played that for the first time at Origins and I was pretty impressed!

Erm, no. This system is more traditional. I tried reading into DW, and couldn't even grasp it since they kept treating the word "fiction" as though it meant "story" or "narrative."

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
Yeah, not interested in 5e at all. The best I can say about it is that the cover art looks good. I'd rather wait for 6e.

I felt kind of excited about Trail of Cthulhu. I'd like to run it some day. But for the time being we're still busy playing 4e.
There's also plenty of systems, I'm not exactly excited about, but I would like to give a try. E.g. FFG's Star Wars or 13th Age. Maybe Mouseguard.

Bluenose

Adventurer
Add me to the people happy to see more for The One Ring, although I'm more interested in the new rulebook than Rivendell - my older ones are getting rather tatty, unfortunately.

Also, the new edition of Space 1889 is imminent, Tianxia is just out, Queen's Cavaliers looks like a lot of fun, Against the Dark Yogi whould be good, and then there's the big one.

The Guide to Glorantha.

Only a bit more than a year late too.

I'm not excited about 5e. I pre-ordered copies of the core books for my library (we circulate rpgs), so I'll look through those as they arrive. If it looks like something I might like to play, I'll buy my own copies, but they are really going to have to impress me. After 4e, I'm wary about any tabletop RPG that WotC puts out.

I'm really trying to get into Pathfinder right now, since I'm having a hard time finding people who will play anything other than that. In a perfect world, though, I would prefer to be running Savage Worlds games and some unusual independent ones.

Currently in playtesting:
Feng Shui 2 (even in late alpha/early beta it's a big improvement on FS1 which wasn't a bad system at all)
Apocalypse World: The Dark Age: Getting right everything Dungeon World does wrong. Rich and slightly dark fantasy.

Recently out:
Firefly: I don't like the 'verse much but it's great for games like Police Academy and Ghostbusters. Things don't go smooth.
Atomic Robo: Ridiculous pulp game using the Fate engine.
Urban Shadows: Finally doing the WoD properly - all the advantages of WoD without the Storyteller system.
[MENTION=10360]Greg[/MENTION]K, there's room for both Leverage and Firefly. Leverage is about experts, Firefly about things not going smooth.

Khaalis

Adventurer
I've seen repeated mention of Savage Worlds... what is it that attracts you to that system?

For the record, I'll buy 5E for the collection and maybe to play a one-off or two, but I am currently not very hopeful that it will be my go-to RPG. Then again, I currently don't have a go-to RPG. I like FantasyCraft (best d20 variant I've seen) but my group is not happy with d20 anymore. I am currently a backer of HERO Fantasy and ENWorld's OLD/NOW/NEW as well as a few smaller indies that I hope I can find a common ground system out of.

Remove ads